Proposal of a new container

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi everyone,

First, a short introduction of me. My name is Vanand, I'm from Armenia, 23
yo, C++ software Engineer. I'm new in the community and I've come with a
proposal.

I've implemented a prefix tree and tried to make it as STL compatible as
possible. After a short investigation I found out that boost libraries
don't provide one and here I am with a proposal. Here is the link to the
repository:

https://github.com/vgasparyan1995/prefix_tree

It's a header only implementation, all source files are in "include"
directory. I also have unit and performance tests.
If the proposal (of having prefix tree container in boost) is accepted, I
will ask for mentorship and support to make it "boost friendly" , create a
proper documentation, meet the coding style and other guidelines.

In the end I want to mention that I am new to this, so if I'm already doing
something wrong or this is not the proper way to propose something, please
kindly let me know and help to do it right.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone :)
Best Regards,
Vanand

Re: Proposal of a new container

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Vanand Gasparyan via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First, a short introduction of me. My name is Vanand, I'm from Armenia, 23
> yo, C++ software Engineer. I'm new in the community and I've come with a
> proposal.
>
> I've implemented a prefix tree and tried to make it as STL compatible as
> possible. After a short investigation I found out that boost libraries
> don't provide one and here I am with a proposal. Here is the link to the
> repository:
>
> https://github.com/vgasparyan1995/prefix_tree
>
> It's a header only implementation, all source files are in "include"
> directory. I also have unit and performance tests.
> If the proposal (of having prefix tree container in boost) is accepted, I
> will ask for mentorship and support to make it "boost friendly" , create a
> proper documentation, meet the coding style and other guidelines.
>
> In the end I want to mention that I am new to this, so if I'm already doing
> something wrong or this is not the proper way to propose something, please
> kindly let me know and help to do it right.

A direct link to the documentation would be helpful.

Thanks,

--Beman

Re: Proposal of a new container

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Beman,

Thanks a lot for replying shortly. To be honest there is no documentation
yet, so I'll go ahead and make it.
Just to be sure that I'm doing it right, it'd be great to have an example,
preferably a documentation of another boost container.

Best Regards,
Vanand

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:33 PM Beman Dawes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Vanand Gasparyan via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> First, a short introduction of me. My name is Vanand, I'm from Armenia, 23
>> yo, C++ software Engineer. I'm new in the community and I've come with a
>> proposal.
>>
>> I've implemented a prefix tree and tried to make it as STL compatible as
>> possible. After a short investigation I found out that boost libraries
>> don't provide one and here I am with a proposal. Here is the link to the
>> repository:
>>
>> https://github.com/vgasparyan1995/prefix_tree
>>
>> It's a header only implementation, all source files are in "include"
>> directory. I also have unit and performance tests.
>> If the proposal (of having prefix tree container in boost) is accepted, I
>> will ask for mentorship and support to make it "boost friendly" , create a
>> proper documentation, meet the coding style and other guidelines.
>>
>> In the end I want to mention that I am new to this, so if I'm already
>> doing
>> something wrong or this is not the proper way to propose something, please
>> kindly let me know and help to do it right.
>>

> A direct link to the documentation would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Beman

Re: Proposal of a new container

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Vanand Gasparyan <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Beman,
>
> Thanks a lot for replying shortly. To be honest there is no documentation
> yet, so I'll go ahead and make it.
> Just to be sure that I'm doing it right, it'd be great to have an example,
> preferably a documentation of another boost container.

First, please don't top post. See
www.boost.org/community/policy.html#quoting

For a interest query like this, you don't need full documentation. But you
do need some introduction documentation. For example, see the Introduction
page for the Containers library at
www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_67_0/doc/html/container.html. If there are other
libraries available that provide similar functionality, it would be nice to
see a brief description of how your library differs. And some performance
measurements are always of interest.

--Beman

Re: Proposal of a new container

Boost - Dev mailing list
Beman, thanks for the advice. Everything seems clear. I will prepare it and
get back to you.