Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Boost community,

so far we received a few good contributions for projects for GSoC 2020. The
proposals are from our usual mentors but I'm surprised we don't have more
projects in data structures and algorithms. Most of what we have concern
numerical problems. It's great but I wish to see more diversity in the type
of projects we propose.

We want to attract the best students around the world and push toward new
C++ standards and improvements of what we already have. Being a mentor is a
great experience and on top of it, without too much effort, you will get
someone of quality working for you during all the summer.

The wiki page for projects is here:
https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020

Please come, edit and contribute.

Cheers,
David

Re: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 14:39, David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Boost community,
>
> so far we received a few good contributions for projects for GSoC 2020. The
> proposals are from our usual mentors but I'm surprised we don't have more
> projects in data structures and algorithms. Most of what we have concern
> numerical problems. It's great but I wish to see more diversity in the type
> of projects we propose.

Maybe the suggestions put forward do solicit few 'other' proposals. For
containers, f.e.  there are many 'entertaining' and useful things to
consider, segment tree, spaghetti stack, trie, binary index tree, beap,
kd-tree, bkd-tree, disjoint-set, n-ary tree, etc etc, etc.
https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/advanced-data-structures/ presents many
different data structures, there also a section on algos.

degski
--
@realdegski
https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/

Re: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
It sounds a good idea to me. Would you like to propose a project and be a
mentor?
It would be great!

David

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM degski via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 14:39, David Bellot via Boost <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boost community,
> >
> > so far we received a few good contributions for projects for GSoC 2020.
> The
> > proposals are from our usual mentors but I'm surprised we don't have more
> > projects in data structures and algorithms. Most of what we have concern
> > numerical problems. It's great but I wish to see more diversity in the
> type
> > of projects we propose.
> >

> Maybe the suggestions put forward do solicit few 'other' proposals. For
> containers, f.e.  there are many 'entertaining' and useful things to
> consider, segment tree, spaghetti stack, trie, binary index tree, beap,
> kd-tree, bkd-tree, disjoint-set, n-ary tree, etc etc, etc.
> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/advanced-data-structures/ presents many
> different data structures, there also a section on algos.
>
> degski
> --
> @realdegski
> https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/
> "We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski
> "Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
> world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth E. Boulding
> "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward
> P. Abbey

Fwd: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 at 04:26, David Bellot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sounds a good idea to me. Would you like to propose a project and be a
> mentor?
> It would be great!
>
> David
>
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM degski via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 14:39, David Bellot via Boost <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Boost community,
>> >
>> > so far we received a few good contributions for projects for GSoC 2020.
>> The
>> > proposals are from our usual mentors but I'm surprised we don't have
>> more
>> > projects in data structures and algorithms. Most of what we have concern
>> > numerical problems. It's great but I wish to see more diversity in the
>> type
>> > of projects we propose.
>> >

>> Maybe the suggestions put forward do solicit few 'other' proposals. For
>> containers, f.e.  there are many 'entertaining' and useful things to
>> consider, segment tree, spaghetti stack, trie, binary index tree, beap,
>> kd-tree, bkd-tree, disjoint-set, n-ary tree, etc etc, etc.
>> https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/advanced-data-structures/ presents many
>> different data structures, there also a section on algos.
>>
>> degski
>> --
>> @realdegski
>> https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/
>> "We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski
>> "Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
>> world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth E. Boulding
>> "Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" -
>> Edward
>> P. Abbey

@realdegski
https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth E. Boulding
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward
P. Abbey

--
@realdegski
https://brave.com/google-gdpr-workaround/
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth E. Boulding
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward
P. Abbey

Re: Fwd: Projects for GSoC 2020

My name is Dimitris. I have implemented several advanced algorithms and data
structures in the past, so I would be quite interested in the project
(perhaps even outside GSOC). Is there a mentor available for this?

Kind regards,
Dimitris

--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Dev-f2600599.html

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 07:13, dim131 via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Dimitris. I have implemented several advanced algorithms and data
> structures in the past, so I would be quite interested in the project
> (perhaps even outside GSOC). Is there a mentor available for this?

You are late, but perhaps not too late.
But you seem to have no idea which Boost library to contribute to
and which Boost GSoC project you want to develop.
So, you need to hurry up!

Dive into this https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2020/02/90268.php
and read *all* references there, all of it.

Next, read all material here
https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview

Then, find which Boost library (project) you want to contribute
https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
Get in touch/discuss with potential mentors. I suggest via the mailing list,
here or library specific (https://lists.boost.org/), instead of privately
as we are an open source project, after all.

Finally, work on your
- project proposal
- competency test solution
- submit both according to the official GSoC guidelines

Good luck!

Re: Fwd: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 04:10, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 07:13, dim131 via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > My name is Dimitris. I have implemented several advanced algorithms and
> data
> > structures in the past, so I would be quite interested in the project
> > (perhaps even outside GSOC). Is there a mentor available for this?
>
> You are late, but perhaps not too late.
> But you seem to have no idea which Boost library to contribute to
> and which Boost GSoC project you want to develop.
> So, you need to hurry up!
>
> Dive into this https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2020/02/90268.php
> and read *all* references there, all of it.
>
> Next, read all material here
> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview
>
> Then, find which Boost library (project) you want to contribute
> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
> Get in touch/discuss with potential mentors. I suggest via the mailing
> list,
> here or library specific (https://lists.boost.org/), instead of privately
> as we are an open source project, after all.
>
> Finally, work on your
> - project proposal
> - competency test solution
> - submit both according to the official GSoC guidelines

I admire your efforts, imo these kind of submissions already fail a major
[maybe the most important one] competency test, that is to do independent
research.

degski
--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite
world is either a madman or an economist" - Kenneth E. Boulding
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward
P. Abbey

Re: Fwd: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
Boost - Dev mailing list wrote

>> You are late, but perhaps not too late.
>> But you seem to have no idea which Boost library to contribute to
>> and which Boost GSoC project you want to develop.
>> So, you need to hurry up!
>>
>> Dive into this https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2020/02/90268.php
>> and read *all* references there, all of it.
>>
>> Next, read all material here
>> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview
>>
>> Then, find which Boost library (project) you want to contribute
>> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
>> Get in touch/discuss with potential mentors. I suggest via the mailing
>> list,
>> here or library specific (https://lists.boost.org/), instead of privately
>> as we are an open source project, after all.
>>
>> Finally, work on your
>> - project proposal
>> - competency test solution
>> - submit both according to the official GSoC guidelines

I have already looked at these resources, have completed the competency test
for the multiprecision project and drafted a proposal for that project.

My question was as to whether someone is interested in mentoring the data
structure project, originally mentioned by degski (but which is not included
in the official list).

I have several ideas for implementing data-structures, some of which will be
useful for practical algorithms (e.g. meldable heaps in Chu-Liu-Edmonds' for
directed MST - for which I have a sample implementation).

--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Dev-f2600599.html

Re: Fwd: Projects for GSoC 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 06:15, dim131 via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My question was as to whether someone is interested in mentoring the data
> structure project, originally mentioned by degski (but which is not
> included
> in the official list).

I wrote to David Bellot about that [off-list], but I had no answer.

degski
--
@systemdeg

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 13:15, dim131 via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Finally, work on your
> >> - project proposal
> >> - competency test solution
> >> - submit both according to the official GSoC guidelines
> >>

> I have already looked at these resources, have completed the competency test
> for the multiprecision project and drafted a proposal for that project.
>
> My question was as to whether someone is interested in mentoring the data
> structure project, originally mentioned by degski (but which is not included
> in the official list).

You must be clear on which Boost library you are going to propose such
a project to.

Then, you should get in touch with the maintainers of that particular library,
e.g. by posting here and including [library name] tag first in the subject.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 11:28, degski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 04:10, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 at 07:13, dim131 via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > My name is Dimitris. I have implemented several advanced algorithms and data
>> > structures in the past, so I would be quite interested in the project
>> > (perhaps even outside GSOC). Is there a mentor available for this?
>>
>> You are late, but perhaps not too late.
>> But you seem to have no idea which Boost library to contribute to
>> and which Boost GSoC project you want to develop.
>> So, you need to hurry up!
>>
>> Dive into this https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2020/02/90268.php
>> and read *all* references there, all of it.
>>
>> Next, read all material here
>> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-Overview
>>
>> Then, find which Boost library (project) you want to contribute
>> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020
>> Get in touch/discuss with potential mentors. I suggest via the mailing list,
>> here or library specific (https://lists.boost.org/), instead of privately
>> as we are an open source project, after all.
>>
>> Finally, work on your
>> - project proposal
>> - competency test solution
>> - submit both according to the official GSoC guidelines
>

> I admire your efforts, imo these kind of submissions already fail a major
> [maybe the most important one] competency test, that is to do
> independent research.

I don't disagree.
I've been a bad cop too often though.