Program Options documentation is anaemic

Program Options documentation is anaemic

Boost - Users mailing list
Hello,

Reading the type_value documentation from Boost Program options feels like:

     typed_value * composing();
     Specifies that the value is composing. See the 'is_composing'
method for explanation.

And the documentation of is_composing:

     bool is_composing() const;

Not sure if I know more what this function is supposed to do now.

Also, I think this module/documentation should take a s/method/function/g.

What's your thoughts on this?

David

Re: Program Options documentation is anaemic

Boost - Users mailing list
On 20/11/2018 23:03, David Demelier wrote:

> Reading the type_value documentation from Boost Program options feels like:
>
>      typed_value * composing();
>      Specifies that the value is composing. See the 'is_composing'
> method for explanation.
>
> And the documentation of is_composing:
>
>      bool is_composing() const;
>
> Not sure if I know more what this function is supposed to do now.

I agree that this seems somewhat unhelpful.

FWIW a quick look elsewhere found
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_68_0/doc/html/program_options/tutorial.html#id-1.3.31.4.5
which describes that option in more detail -- specifically that it's
whether repeated parameters are merged or just replace the older value.

> Also, I think this module/documentation should take a s/method/function/g.

"Method" is the more common name for a method within a class.