Profiling questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Profiling questions

Vladimir Prus

Rene,
I've a question about new -d+10 output. What is the "[OTHER]" entry? It takes
quite a lot of time, so I'd be interested to know what's that.

Also, without "-d+10" the running time of bjam is 8 secs. With "-d+10" (and
redirection to a file), it's 30 secs. Earlier, -d+10 did not add much too
running time, and such big difference is suspicious.


- Volodya
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-build
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Profiling questions

Rene Rivera
Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Rene,
> I've a question about new -d+10 output. What is the "[OTHER]" entry? It takes
> quite a lot of time, so I'd be interested to know what's that.

It's anything that calls 'profile_enter(0,prof)'. Which currently is
only used by the hashitem(...) call. SO it's the profile for finding or
adding to the various hash tables.

> Also, without "-d+10" the running time of bjam is 8 secs. With "-d+10" (and
> redirection to a file), it's 30 secs. Earlier, -d+10 did not add much too
> running time, and such big difference is suspicious.

Since it's a frequently called function I can see it having such an
impact. Because of the impact there's a define at the top of hash.c
(HASH_DEBUG_PROFILE) which you can comment out do disable it. Just
change line #29 from "/* */" to "/* *".




--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- Redshift Software, Inc. - http://redshift-software.com
-- rrivera/acm.org - grafik/redshift-software.com
-- 102708583/icq - grafikrobot/aim - grafikrobot/yahoo
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-build
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Profiling questions

Vladimir Prus
On Monday 06 February 2006 19:12, Rene Rivera wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Rene,
> > I've a question about new -d+10 output. What is the "[OTHER]" entry? It
> > takes quite a lot of time, so I'd be interested to know what's that.
>
> It's anything that calls 'profile_enter(0,prof)'. Which currently is
> only used by the hashitem(...) call. SO it's the profile for finding or
> adding to the various hash tables.
>
> > Also, without "-d+10" the running time of bjam is 8 secs. With "-d+10"
> > (and redirection to a file), it's 30 secs. Earlier, -d+10 did not add
> > much too running time, and such big difference is suspicious.
>
> Since it's a frequently called function I can see it having such an
> impact. Because of the impact there's a define at the top of hash.c
> (HASH_DEBUG_PROFILE) which you can comment out do disable it. Just
> change line #29 from "/* */" to "/* *".

I see. And what's the "mem" column? Is that amount of memory allocated while
inside a given rule, including children called from that rule?

- Volodya
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-build
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Profiling questions

Rene Rivera
Vladimir Prus wrote:
> I see. And what's the "mem" column? Is that amount of memory allocated while
> inside a given rule, including children called from that rule?

Yes that's correct.


--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- Redshift Software, Inc. - http://redshift-software.com
-- rrivera/acm.org - grafik/redshift-software.com
-- 102708583/icq - grafikrobot/aim - grafikrobot/yahoo
_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-build