Potential Mentor's Interest in Boost GSoC2020

Potential Mentor's Interest in Boost GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear Boost,
A generic reminder that org applications GSoC 2020has reached me in another forum yesterday.
I'm not the organizer of this, but a potential mentor.Do other potential mentors have suitable projectsand interest in mentoring? Based on previous years,interest this year seems less strong. But the timeto get involved is upon us.

I posted one of my potential projects here:

https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2020
...And it has remained alone for almost 1 week.

Best regards, Chris

Re: Potential Mentor's Interest in Boost GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
I am interested too in mentoring this season. I will add my ideas(one for
boost GIL and one for Astronomy) on the idea page with the required test by
the end of tomorrow.

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 3:52 AM Christopher Kormanyos via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Boost,
> A generic reminder that org applications GSoC 2020has reached me in
> another forum yesterday.
> I'm not the organizer of this, but a potential mentor.Do other potential
> mentors have suitable projectsand interest in mentoring? Based on previous
> years,interest this year seems less strong. But the timeto get involved is
> upon us.
>
> I posted one of my potential projects here:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2020
> ...And it has remained alone for almost 1 week.
>
> Best regards, Chris

Re: Potential Mentor's Interest in Boost GSoC2020

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 23:22, Christopher Kormanyos via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do other potential mentors have suitable projects
> and interest in mentoring?

As last year, I'm interested in mentoring for GIL during this edition.
I don't have any specific projects on the plate, but there is still
plenty to do as continuation of Miral Shah's project adding
image processing algorithms:
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/GSoC-2019

We have a list of wishes and ideas for GIL
https://github.com/boostorg/gil/wiki/Boost.GIL-3-Ideas
that may serve interested students as an inspiration
(e.g. color management is an interesting area).

I personally prefer when a student approaches with
a project proposal she/he is very keen to develop
or at least approaches with an idea and works out
project details with prospect mentor(s).

I consider coming up with an idea or project as an initial homework
filtering genuine interest in solving a particular problem
rather than piggybacking Boost & GSoC to improve CV.

Re: Potential Mentor's Interest in Boost GSoC2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
I agree with the idea of students making the proposal, and we mostly get
students taking that path. However, at this stage Google expect us to
propose something to show that there is mentoring and org interest when we
apply as a organization to get included in the program. So, having some
mentor proposed projects helps with the process.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 22:46, Damian Vicino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with the idea of students making the proposal, and we mostly get students taking that path.
> However, at this stage Google expect us to propose something to show that there is mentoring and
> org interest when we apply as a organization to get included in the program.
> So, having some mentor proposed projects helps with the process.

This is a good point indeed.

I've added proposal GIL to the wiki
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2020

p.s. Top-posting reminder