Posts not appearing on Boost Mailman

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Boost,

I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.

I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
here for instance:

https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: Posts not appearing on Boost Mailman

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 7/14/17 06:25, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> Hi Boost,
>
> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>
> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
> here for instance:
>
> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Thanks,
> Raffi

Thank you Raffi. I've forwarded this to IT.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

On 7/14/2017 8:25 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> Hi Boost,
>
> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>
> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
> here for instance:
>
> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>
> Is this normal?

I too use Thunderbird via news.gmane.org.  My post is on the above
archive page.  However, I have zero responses.

-Robert

Le 14.07.17 à 21:44, Michael Caisse via Boost a écrit :

> On 7/14/17 06:25, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>> Hi Boost,
>>
>> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
>> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>>
>> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
>> here for instance:
>>
>> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>>
>> Is this normal?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raffi
>>

> Thank you Raffi. I've forwarded this to IT.

Another example:

The post I sent yesterday
"Re: Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2 - problems with boost.python"
(message ID: <omkcpm$hhq$[hidden email]>)

as a reply to the post "Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2" from Marshall Clow

does not appear here:
https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/08/index.php

while it does on news.gmane.org.

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: Posts not appearing on Boost Mailman

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 14.07.17 à 21:44, Michael Caisse via Boost a écrit :
>
>> On 7/14/17 06:25, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Boost,
>>>
>>> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
>>> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
>>> here for instance:
>>>
>>> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>>>
>>> Is this normal?

Just an FYI --

When you post though gmane, your posts show up as not coming from the email
address that you are subscribed from. That means that you get dumped into
the moderation queue.

This can delay your post appearing to the rest of the ML.

(This is [probably] not an answer to your question, but a heads up)

-- Marshall (who saw - and approved - your message in the moderation queue)

On 08/12/2017 02:37 PM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> Le 14.07.17 à 21:44, Michael Caisse via Boost a écrit :
>> On 7/14/17 06:25, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>>> Hi Boost,
>>>
>>> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
>>> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
>>> here for instance:
>>>
>>> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Raffi
>>>

>> Thank you Raffi. I've forwarded this to IT.
>
> Another example:
>
> The post I sent yesterday
> "Re: Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2 - problems with boost.python"
> (message ID: <omkcpm$hhq$[hidden email]>)
>
> as a reply to the post "Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2" from
> Marshall Clow
>
> does not appear here:
> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/08/index.php
>
> while it does on news.gmane.org.

I haven't seen that message. Depending on whether it's a genuine bug
with Boost.Python, or a problem with Boost.Build that shows up as an
issue with Boost.Python, would you please forward the message to me
(personally, if nothing else works), or to the Boost.Python issue
tracker (on github) ?

Thanks,
        Stefan

On 8/12/17 11:37, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> Le 14.07.17 à 21:44, Michael Caisse via Boost a écrit :
>> On 7/14/17 06:25, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>>> Hi Boost,
>>>
>>> I have an issue with MailMan: I never use "emails" for posting on the
>>> Boost ML, I use news.gmane.org through thunderbird.
>>>
>>> I can see my posts on news.gmane.org, but I cannot see any of my posts
>>> here for instance:
>>>
>>> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/07/index.php
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Raffi
>>>

>> Thank you Raffi. I've forwarded this to IT.
>
> Another example:
>
> The post I sent yesterday
> "Re: Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2 - problems with boost.python"
> (message ID: <omkcpm$hhq$[hidden email]>)
>
> as a reply to the post "Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2" from Marshall
> Clow
>
> does not appear here:
> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/08/index.php
>
> while it does on news.gmane.org.

You posted it to the user list:
<https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2017/08/87793.php>

with a copy to the dev list. I'm not sure why the dev list copy didn't
make it through. We will investigate that.

Cross posting to multiple lists (as the original message was) is
discouraged and frowned on for a lot of reasons including that many mail
clients do not handle the result well.

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Le 14.08.17 à 00:35, Michael Caisse via Boost a écrit :

> On 8/12/17 11:37, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

>>> Thank you Raffi. I've forwarded this to IT.
>>
>> Another example:
>>
>> The post I sent yesterday
>> "Re: Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2 - problems with boost.python"
>> (message ID: <omkcpm$hhq$[hidden email]>)
>>
>> as a reply to the post "Boost 1.65.0 Release Candidate 2" from Marshall
>> Clow
>>
>> does not appear here:
>> https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/08/index.php
>>
>> while it does on news.gmane.org.
>
> You posted it to the user list:
> <https://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2017/08/87793.php>
>
> with a copy to the dev list. I'm not sure why the dev list copy didn't
> make it through. We will investigate that.
>
> Cross posting to multiple lists (as the original message was) is
> discouraged and frowned on for a lot of reasons including that many mail
> clients do not handle the result well.

Hi,

I was just replying to the original message, and I did not know that
cross posting was discouraged. Thanks for the info!

Le 13.08.17 à 20:57, Marshall Clow via Boost a écrit :

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> Just an FYI --
>
> When you post though gmane, your posts show up as not coming from the email
> address that you are subscribed from. That means that you get dumped into
> the moderation queue.
>
> This can delay your post appearing to the rest of the ML.
>
> (This is [probably] not an answer to your question, but a heads up)
>
> -- Marshall (who saw - and approved - your message in the moderation queue)

That sounds like good explanation. When I reply, Thunderbird is
configured with the same email address as the one I have subscribed to
the list.

If I understand well, this is the gmane<->boost ML interface that is
scrambling the email addresses, and maybe causing those issues, is that
right?

BTW, I do not want to add more work on the moderators shoulders, and I
thought that replying directly to the news.gmane.org via news/nntp is a
good and proper way to interact with the ML.

I am happy to switch my workflow to whatever is good and works ok. OTOH,
being able to use nntp client is really great.

Raffi