Porting Boost to an Unsupported C++ Compiler

Porting Boost to an Unsupported C++ Compiler

George Russell
Hi,

Could someone advise me in how I would go about compiling Boost with an
unsupported compiler?
I am interested in getting boost to compile with the VectorC C++
compiler. I have looked at the website Getting Started Guide, but I
could do with some guidance on setting up the build system.

If you could tell me what the first stages of adding a new compiler
would be, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
George

Re: Porting Boost to an Unsupported C++ Compiler

Vladimir Prus
Hi George,

> Could someone advise me in how I would go about compiling Boost with an
> unsupported compiler?
> I am interested in getting boost to compile with the VectorC C++
> compiler. I have looked at the website Getting Started Guide, but I
> could do with some guidance on setting up the build system.
>
> If you could tell me what the first stages of adding a new compiler
> would be, I'd be grateful.

I would suggest that you start with Boost.Build V2. There are two choices:

1. Your compiler is option-compatible with gcc, with some minor tweaks. Then
make a copy of tools/build/v2/tools/intel-linux.jam, which "derives" from
gcc. Adjust it to your taste. The core "flags" rule is documented in
"tools/build/v2/build/toolset.jam".

2. You compiler has unique set of options. Then use some simpile compiler as
basic, for example tools/build/v2/tools/sun.jam.

There's no complete step-by-step guide, but you might find
http://boost.org/boost-build2/doc/html/bbv2/extender.html useful for
understand the basic concepts.

- Volodya