Path to compiler in configuration checks summary

Path to compiler in configuration checks summary

Boost - Build mailing list
Hi,

Is there any way to see path to compiler determined by b2
but *before* compilation starts i.e. in summary of the configuration
checks, next to `default address-model`, etc.?

I tried -d1 through -d4 and nothing is printed in the configuration checks
(-d5 and higher dump is enormous, less than useful for what I need).

I can run -d2 and wait until compilation, then I can see the full compiler
command line and deduce the location from there, of course.
Wouldn't it be helpful to show it in the configuration summary?

Re: Path to compiler in configuration checks summary

Boost - Build mailing list
On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost-build <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any way to see path to compiler determined by b2
but *before* compilation starts i.e. in summary of the configuration
checks, next to `default address-model`, etc.?

I tried -d1 through -d4 and nothing is printed in the configuration checks
(-d5 and higher dump is enormous, less than useful for what I need).

I can run -d2 and wait until compilation, then I can see the full compiler
command line and deduce the location from there, of course.
Wouldn't it be helpful to show it in the configuration summary?

AFAIK using "--debug-configuration" option prints out the compiler paths for all the toolsets that get configured. Did you try that option?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 at 19:06, Rene Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:52 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost-build <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way to see path to compiler determined by b2
>> but *before* compilation starts i.e. in summary of the configuration
>> checks, next to `default address-model`, etc.?
>>
>> I tried -d1 through -d4 and nothing is printed in the configuration checks
>> (-d5 and higher dump is enormous, less than useful for what I need).
>>
>> I can run -d2 and wait until compilation, then I can see the full compiler
>> command line and deduce the location from there, of course.
>> Wouldn't it be helpful to show it in the configuration summary?
>

> AFAIK using "--debug-configuration" option prints out the compiler paths for all the toolsets that get configured.

I've just tried it and it does seem to do the job.

Although it does not output path to the compiler, just name,
then one can deduce it is meant to be from PATH.

```
notice: [cmdline-cfg] toolset gcc-4.9 not previously configured;
attempting to auto-configure now
notice: will use 'g++-4.9' for gcc, condition <toolset>gcc-4.9
notice: using gcc libraries :: <toolset>gcc-4.9 :: /usr/bin /usr/lib
/usr/lib32 /usr/lib64
notice: using gcc archiver :: <toolset>gcc-4.9 :: /usr/bin/ar
notice: using gcc ranlib :: <toolset>gcc-4.9 :: /usr/bin/ranlib
warning: toolset gcc initialization: can not find tool windres
warning: initialized from
notice: using rc compiler :: <toolset>gcc-4.9 :: /usr/bin/as
```

Thank you!
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net×