Parser Operators Feature List in X3 compared with QI

Parser Operators Feature List in X3 compared with QI

davew
Hello,

I have been exploring X3 over the last few weeks and it looks very interesting. I have been comparing the features of QI (2.5.3) with those of X3 (in development).

One of the questions I have is regarding support for the Parser Operators: Sequential Or (a || b) and Permutation (a ^ b).

While both are present in QI, I notice that these are currently not present in X3 development and wondered what the plans are regarding support for these operators in X3 ?

I guess that the rule expression a >> -b | b could be used instead of the Sequential Or operator. I can't think of an alternative way of
expressing the Permutation Parser.

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Parser Operators Feature List in X3 compared with QI

Joel de Guzman
On 2/9/16 5:26 PM, davew wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been exploring X3 over the last few weeks and it looks very
> interesting. I have been comparing the features of QI (2.5.3) with those of
> X3 (in development).
>
> One of the questions I have is regarding support for the Parser Operators:
> Sequential Or *(a || b)* and Permutation (*a ^ b)*.
>
> While both are present in QI, I notice that these are currently not present
> in X3 development and wondered what the plans are regarding support for
> these operators in X3 ?
>
> I guess that the rule expression *a >> -b | b* could be used instead of the
> Sequential Or operator. I can't think of an alternative way of
> expressing the Permutation Parser.

One of the goals of X3 is to simplify. There's no plan to support ||.
Permutation? I'm not sure. Maybe I'd welcome it if someone wants to
port it from Qi.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.ciere.com
http://boost-spirit.com
http://www.cycfi.com/

Re: Parser Operators Feature List in X3 compared with QI

Aaron Graham-2

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Joel de Guzman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/9/16 5:26 PM, davew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been exploring X3 over the last few weeks and it looks very
> interesting. I have been comparing the features of QI (2.5.3) with those of
> X3 (in development).
>
> One of the questions I have is regarding support for the Parser Operators:
> Sequential Or *(a || b)* and Permutation (*a ^ b)*.
>
> While both are present in QI, I notice that these are currently not present
> in X3 development and wondered what the plans are regarding support for
> these operators in X3 ?
>
> I guess that the rule expression *a >> -b | b* could be used instead of the
> Sequential Or operator. I can't think of an alternative way of
> expressing the Permutation Parser.

One of the goals of X3 is to simplify. There's no plan to support ||.
Permutation? I'm not sure. Maybe I'd welcome it if someone wants to
port it from Qi.

I found permutation to be utterly useless in the way it was implemented. I've explained my difficulties with permutation on this forum previously.

It looks like x3 now has the binary parsers. Thanks for that! Since the majority of my qi parsers were binary parsers, x3 was a non-starter for me until that happened.

The 'advance' parser component was also essential for binary parsing. I need to create an x3 repository version of it.