Newbie: Boost for Windows

John Read
I have to work on Windows, but I don't have any idea about
compilers and environments on this platform. My preference
would be to use a CygWin environment with MinGW's gcc compiler
to facilitate setting up a scripted nightly build incorporating
Boost and my own code. Some others might want to use native
Microsoft compilers and tools though.

Steps so far:
1) Got/installed MinGW: MinGW-5.0.0.exe
2) Got/installed Boost: boost_1_33_1.exe
3) Opened Cygwin terminal and added MinGW/bin to path
4) cd-ed to boost_1_33_1/tools/build/jam_scr
5) . build.sh > result.txt

Got these errors in results.txt:
###
### Using 'gcc' toolset.
###
rm -rf bootstrap
mkdir bootstrap
gcc -o bootstrap/jam0 command.c compile.c execnt.c execunix.c execvms.c expand.c filent.c fileos2.c fileunix.c filevms.c glob.c hash.c hdrmacro.c headers.c jam.c jambase.c jamgram.c lists.c make.c make1.c newstr.c option.c parse.c pathunix.c pathvms.c regexp.c rules.c scan.c search.c subst.c timestamp.c variable.c modules.c strings.c filesys.c builtins.c pwd.c class.c native.c modules/set.c modules/path.c modules/regex.c modules/property-set.c modules/sequence.c modules/order.c
execunix.c:19:24: sys/times.h: No such file or directory
execunix.c: In function `execwait':
execunix.c:187: error: storage size of 'old_time' isn't known
execunix.c:187: error: storage size of 'new_time' isn't known
fileunix.c:95:17: ar.h: No such file or directory
fileunix.c: In function `file_archscan':
fileunix.c:232: error: storage size of 'ar_hdr' isn't known
fileunix.c:241: error: `SARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)
fileunix.c:241: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
fileunix.c:241: error: for each function it appears in.)
fileunix.c:242: error: `ARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)

I suspect that there is more involved in getting a proper Windows
development environment set up.
A simple list of steps would be great. If none exists,
I will provide one to the group once I have this sorted out.

Thanks,
John

Re: Newbie: Boost for Windows

David Abrahams
John Read <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have to work on Windows, but I don't have any idea about
> compilers and environments on this platform. My preference
> would be to use a CygWin environment with MinGW's gcc compiler
> to facilitate setting up a scripted nightly build incorporating
> Boost and my own code. Some others might want to use native
> Microsoft compilers and tools though.
>
>   Steps so far:
> 1) Got/installed MinGW: MinGW-5.0.0.exe
> 2) Got/installed Boost: boost_1_33_1.exe
> 3) Opened Cygwin terminal and added MinGW/bin to path
> 4) cd-ed to boost_1_33_1/tools/build/jam_scr
> 5) . build.sh > result.txt

That's a tough row to hoe.  MinGW is a non-cygwin toolset.  If you try
to build bjam under cygwin, you'll get a cygwin version of bjam.  I
suggest you remove MinGW/bin from your path (maybe even uninstall
MinGW) and use the gcc-nocygwin toolset
(http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/gcc-nocygwin-tools.html) *or* you
give up on the cygwin environment and use the MinGW toolset from a
regular windows command prompt.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting