Need help with bootstrap.bat

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Everyone,
Maybe someone can help me with configuring bootstrap.bat. I am trying to
set up the environment for developing boost libraries, and it is my
understanding that the first step (after cloning a git repository) is to
build b2 itself using the script bootstrap.bat. I got this from
instructions at https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Getting-Started
(n.b. It was very difficult to find this page as there is no direct link
from www.boost.org). I am using MinGW on Windows, no Visual Studio
installed. Nonetheless bootstrap.bat concludes that it should compile with
cl.exe, and it does not work. I know that MinGWis not supported, but I have
to take my chances. Maybe somebody knows how to instruct bootstrap.bat to
select a GCC compiler and tools?

Regards,
&rzej;

Re: Need help with bootstrap.bat

Boost - Dev mailing list

What I've always done when building with MinGW is using bootstrap.sh from within the MSYS shell instead of bootstrap.bat from cmd.exe. This will also get you a b2.exe.

Marcel

Re: Need help with bootstrap.bat

Indeed. It works. Thanks!
I will try to look for a place where this could be documented.

Regards,
&rzej;

Re: Need help with bootstrap.bat

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 3 January 2018 at 12:43, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost

I don't use MinGW myself, but try

bootstrap.bat help
bootstrap.bat gcc or bootstrap.bat mingw

Re: Need help with bootstrap.bat

On 3 January 2018 at 10:04, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> (n.b. It was very difficult to find this page as there is no direct link
> from www.boost.org).

I'll add a link to the 'getting started' section. Maybe we should move
more content onto the github wiki? It's just a git repo with markdown
pages so it shouldn't be too hard to serve it from the website if
people would like it to be more integrated.

On 03.01.2018 07:54, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 3 January 2018 at 10:04, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> (n.b. It was very difficult to find this page as there is no direct link
>> from www.boost.org).
> I'll add a link to the 'getting started' section. Maybe we should move
> more content onto the github wiki? It's just a git repo with markdown
> pages so it shouldn't be too hard to serve it from the website if
> people would like it to be more integrated.

github's pages support is really good, even if you don't want to use
jekyll. So why not use that ? If migrating the main website isn't an
option, it could at least be a subdomain, such as `doc.boost.org`. That,
in turn, could serve as a hub and refer to project-specific docs, such
as `http://boostorg.github.io/build` (which doesn't exist yet, but could
very easily be populated, similar to other projects such as boost.python
- http://boostorg.github.io/python)

Stefan

Re: Need help with bootstrap.bat

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 3 January 2018 at 13:06, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> github's pages support is really good, even if you don't want to use
> jekyll. So why not use that ? If migrating the main website isn't an
> option, it could at least be a subdomain, such as `doc.boost.org`. That,
> in turn, could serve as a hub and refer to project-specific docs, such
> as `http://boostorg.github.io/build` (which doesn't exist yet, but could
> very easily be populated, similar to other projects such as boost.python
> - http://boostorg.github.io/python)

That would require a lot of work, and I don't see any real benefit. I
just meant some of the website pages, and pages from the old wiki.