Named pipe available to other processes (boost::process)

Named pipe available to other processes (boost::process)

Boost - Users mailing list
It seems that boost::process::basic_pipe::basic_pipe(const std::string& name) on posix creates a fifo using mkfifo, opens it and then unlinks it.  I imagine there's a good reason for the unlink step in some situations, but it's causing me issues.  I would like to use the fifo later with a non-boost::process started process, so by the time I get around to starting the second process, it can't access the fifo.  Is there any workaround for this?