Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Paul Bristow suggested [1]

"We might also re-host this document somewhere on github/boostorg?"

[1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2018/07/242617.php

I'd like to edit and move the wiki page away from Trac.

IMHO, it is reasonable to host it not on GitHub wiki but
on boost.org along other guidelines, for example, at
https://www.boost.org/development/warnings.html

- It is easy to update website via pull requests.
- Any updates would be a subject of some review at least

Thoughts? Objections?

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 2018-08-02 03:59 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Paul Bristow suggested [1]
>
> "We might also re-host this document somewhere on github/boostorg?"
>
> [1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2018/07/242617.php
>
> I'd like to edit and move the wiki page away from Trac.
>
> IMHO, it is reasonable to host it not on GitHub wiki but
> on boost.org along other guidelines, for example, at
> https://www.boost.org/development/warnings.html
>
> - It is easy to update website via pull requests.
> - Any updates would be a subject of some review at least
>
> Thoughts? Objections?

I don't think this is a good idea, as it contributes to the
proliferation of locations to look for to find information (or to
contribute updates), which will also result in duplicate (in the best
case) or contradictory (in the worst case) information. Ideally,
boost.org should consist of a *very* small number of static pages (a
hub, really) with links to other pages, such as project-specific
websites (e.g. http://boostorg.github.io/<project>), or the wiki
(https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki).

Stefan

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Sounds good to me.

Trac was an easily-edited-by-anyone location when this was written.

I had hoped that others would chip in with their experience of supressing the pesky warnings (but only a few people did, and they
left me to do the editorial work).

Can you make it happen?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

On 2 August 2018 at 10:09, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-02 03:59 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
>>
>> Paul Bristow suggested [1]
>>
>> "We might also re-host this document somewhere on github/boostorg?"
>>
>> [1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2018/07/242617.php
>>
>> I'd like to edit and move the wiki page away from Trac.
>>
>> IMHO, it is reasonable to host it not on GitHub wiki but
>> on boost.org along other guidelines, for example, at
>> https://www.boost.org/development/warnings.html
>>
>> - It is easy to update website via pull requests.
>> - Any updates would be a subject of some review at least
>>
>> Thoughts? Objections?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea, as it contributes to the proliferation of
> locations to look for to find information (or to contribute updates), which
> will also result in duplicate (in the best case) or contradictory (in the
> worst case) information.

You've lost me.
I'm suggesting *single* place to maintain all the common Boost development
guidelines, namely boost.org.

> Ideally, boost.org should consist of a *very* small
> number of static pages (a hub, really) with links to other pages, such as
> project-specific websites (e.g. http://boostorg.github.io/<project>),

Clearly, we have a hierarchy of the recommendations here:
- common guidelines
- library-specific guidelines based on/extending the common ones

I'm talking about common guidelines here, not the library-specific ones.

I suggest to not to maintain common guidelines on GitHub wiki or
anywhere else - Wiki is volatile,
too easy to edit by too many or too easy to sneak unwanted edits.

On 2018-08-02 04:18 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

> On 2 August 2018 at 10:09, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2018-08-02 03:59 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
>>> Paul Bristow suggested [1]
>>>
>>> "We might also re-host this document somewhere on github/boostorg?"
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2018/07/242617.php
>>>
>>> I'd like to edit and move the wiki page away from Trac.
>>>
>>> IMHO, it is reasonable to host it not on GitHub wiki but
>>> on boost.org along other guidelines, for example, at
>>> https://www.boost.org/development/warnings.html
>>>
>>> - It is easy to update website via pull requests.
>>> - Any updates would be a subject of some review at least
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Objections?
>> I don't think this is a good idea, as it contributes to the proliferation of
>> locations to look for to find information (or to contribute updates), which
>> will also result in duplicate (in the best case) or contradictory (in the
>> worst case) information.
> You've lost me.
> I'm suggesting *single* place to maintain all the common Boost development
> guidelines, namely boost.org.
>
>> Ideally, boost.org should consist of a *very* small
>> number of static pages (a hub, really) with links to other pages, such as
>> project-specific websites (e.g. http://boostorg.github.io/<project>),
> Clearly, we have a hierarchy of the recommendations here:
> - common guidelines
> - library-specific guidelines based on/extending the common ones
>
> I'm talking about common guidelines here, not the library-specific ones.

> I suggest to not to maintain common guidelines on GitHub wiki or
> anywhere else - Wiki is volatile,
> too easy to edit by too many or too easy to sneak unwanted edits.

I think it's a judgment call, really:

I see your point, and I agree: on the one hand we have
version-controlled (relatively static) content, on the other we have
easy-to-change volatile content.

If it were for truly static content, I would wholeheartedly agree with
you. But a document describing how to deal with (compiler-specific)
warnings is inherently a moving target, and thus will quickly get stale
unless it's been actively maintained (read: updated regularly). And if
it's hard to change, people will just add their own guidelines elsewhere...

Stefan

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 2 August 2018 at 10:42, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-02 04:18 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:

>>> I don't think this is a good idea, as it contributes to the proliferation
>>> of
>>> locations to look for to find information (or to contribute updates),
>>> which
>>> will also result in duplicate (in the best case) or contradictory (in the
>>> worst case) information.
>>
>> You've lost me.
>> I'm suggesting *single* place to maintain all the common Boost development
>> guidelines, namely boost.org.
>>
>>> Ideally, boost.org should consist of a *very* small
>>> number of static pages (a hub, really) with links to other pages, such as
>>> project-specific websites (e.g. http://boostorg.github.io/<project>),
>>
>> Clearly, we have a hierarchy of the recommendations here:
>> - common guidelines
>> - library-specific guidelines based on/extending the common ones
>>
>> I'm talking about common guidelines here, not the library-specific ones.

>>> other changes:
>>
>> I suggest to not to maintain common guidelines on GitHub wiki or
>> anywhere else - Wiki is volatile,
>> too easy to edit by too many or too easy to sneak unwanted edits.
>

> I think it's a judgment call, really:

Yes, it is.

> I see your point, and I agree: on the one hand we have version-controlled
> (relatively static) content, on the other we have easy-to-change volatile
> content.
>
> If it were for truly static content, I would wholeheartedly agree with you.
> But a document describing how to deal with (compiler-specific) warnings is
> inherently a moving target, and thus will quickly get stale unless it's been
> actively maintained (read: updated regularly). And if it's hard to change,
> people will just add their own guidelines elsewhere...

My judgement was that editing documentation via a GitHub pull request
is easy and convenient.

Since, I'm not even close to a position to tell where to host stuff,
I'll wait for the PSC or other authoritative voice to tell where it should go.

I just offered help to migrate the wiki page content to .html file in
boostorg/website.
Actually, it would be better for my own health if I could migrate it
to Markdown ;)

In fact, I would like to see https://github.com/boostorg/docs where all static
documentation is maintained in form of plain Markdown files.
That, however, is a topic for another hardly-ever-ending thread...

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

I agree that making it easy to change is really important, so while pull requests are OK,
if there is a long delay in getting them accepted, it won't work well.

(We have had trouble with spammers putting junk on Trac - for reasons incomprehensible.  I fear Github wiki might become a magnet to
these idiots  So we really do need to have some filtering, but not so that it puts people off suggesting changes.)

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: Moving wiki/Guidelines/WarningsGuidelines

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 2 August 2018 at 11:12, Paul A. Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From: Boost [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stefan Seefeld via Boost

>> > You've lost me.
>> > I'm suggesting *single* place to maintain all the common Boost development
>> > guidelines, namely boost.org.

>> > Clearly, we have a hierarchy of the recommendations here:
>> > - common guidelines
>> > - library-specific guidelines based on/extending the common ones
>> >
>> > I'm talking about common guidelines here, not the library-specific ones.

>> > I suggest to not to maintain common guidelines on GitHub wiki or
>> > anywhere else - Wiki is volatile,
>> > too easy to edit by too many or too easy to sneak unwanted edits.
>>
>> I think it's a judgment call, really:
>>
>> I see your point, and I agree: on the one hand we have
>> version-controlled (relatively static) content, on the other we have
>> easy-to-change volatile content.
>>
>> If it were for truly static content, I would wholeheartedly agree with
>> you. But a document describing how to deal with (compiler-specific)
>> warnings is inherently a moving target, and thus will quickly get stale
>> unless it's been actively maintained (read: updated regularly). And if
>> it's hard to change, people will just add their own guidelines elsewhere...
>
> I agree that making it easy to change is really important, so while pull requests are OK,
> if there is a long delay in getting them accepted, it won't work well.
>
> (We have had trouble with spammers putting junk on Trac - for reasons incomprehensible.  I fear Github wiki might become a magnet to
> these idiots  So we really do need to have some filtering, but not so that it puts people off suggesting changes.)

From my POV, the decision on Wiki vs boostorg/website is important
because it determines the output format: HTML or Markdown.