Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list
I recently posted about getting the boost libraries to build.  This issue is solved but I've run into another.
I'm trying to use gnuplot, and gnuplot-iostream to develop a GUI for simulation s/w and the gp-iostream uses boost::iostream.

A simple example pulled form the gp-io site gives link errors, 7 unresolved externals.  An example of one is,

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall boost::iostreams::file_descriptor::close(void)" (?close@file_descriptor@iostreams@boost@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function "public: static void __cdecl boost::iostreams::detail::close_impl<struct boost::iostreams::closable_tag>::close<class boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink>(class boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink &,int)" (??$close@Vfile_descriptor_sink@iostreams@boost@@@?$close_impl@Uclosable_tag@iostreams@boost@@@detail@iostreams@boost@@SAXAAVfile_descriptor_sink@23@H@Z)

In the past with other libraries, similar errors were fixable (ensuring correct path is set in the IDE, #includes are in correct order, etc).  I'm using VS 2017 and the "intellisense" isn't showing any issues.  I have added paths for includes and linker libraries the same way I've done in the past with other libs and they've worked.

I'm reaching out to the boost community to see if anyone has had this issue with a similar combination of libraries.

Thanks in advance for your help.
David

Re: Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list
On 11/15/2017 8:38 AM, David Bergman via Boost-build wrote:

> I recently posted about getting the boost libraries to build.  This
> issue is solved but I've run into another.
> I'm trying to use gnuplot, and gnuplot-iostream to develop a GUI for
> simulation s/w and the gp-iostream uses boost::iostream.
>
> A simple example pulled form the gp-io site gives link errors, 7
> unresolved externals.  An example of one is,
>
> error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor::close(void)"
> (?close@file_descriptor@iostreams@boost@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function
> "public: static void __cdecl boost::iostreams::detail::close_impl<struct
> boost::iostreams::closable_tag>::close<class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink>(class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink &,int)"
> (??$close@Vfile_descriptor_sink@iostreams@boost@@@?$close_impl@Uclosable_tag@iostreams@boost@@@detail@iostreams@boost@@SAXAAVfile_descriptor_sink@23@H@Z)
>
> In the past with other libraries, similar errors were fixable (ensuring
> correct path is set in the IDE, #includes are in correct order, etc).
> I'm using VS 2017 and the "intellisense" isn't showing any issues.  I
> have added paths for includes and linker libraries the same way I've
> done in the past with other libs and they've worked.
>
> I'm reaching out to the boost community to see if anyone has had this
> issue with a similar combination of libraries.

It looks like the Visual Studio Project Property Pages | Linker |
General | Additional Library Directories property is not set.  If you
are building for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, you will have to have
different paths to the Boost library files.  There is not yet a bit size
in the library file names.  For example, on my various projects, I have
all 32-bit library files in C:\Boost\lib.  I have all 64-bit library
files in C:\Boost\lib\x64.  When the Visual Studio project's 32-bit
Additional Library Directories property is user set, the ending string
has a special automatically added value:

C:\Boost\lib;%(AdditionalLibraryDirectories)

Keep in mind that the Visual Studio Property Pages dialog drop down
combination selection is key to knowing which configuration combination
is modified.  The dialog combo boxes do not synchronize with the current
selection in the editing environment.

Robert

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> David

Re: Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list
Robert,

Thanks for the help.  Though I will say that the Visual Studio Project Property Pages | Linker |
General | Additional Library Directories property is actually set to the lib directory.  I may have the dir name wrong and will check that.
I will also look into your second comment.  This is a little beyond my level of sophistication.

In the event that these issues do not resolve I wonder if there could be a conflict with another "include" dir.  For example, I want to use the traditional boost header files for math functions and have that path set in ... | VC++ Directories | Include Directories.  Also, since I'm trying to use gp-io with this might there be a conflict with that?

David

On 11/15/2017 8:38 AM, David Bergman via Boost-build wrote:

> I recently posted about getting the boost libraries to build.  This
> issue is solved but I've run into another.
> I'm trying to use gnuplot, and gnuplot-iostream to develop a GUI for
> simulation s/w and the gp-iostream uses boost::iostream.
>
> A simple example pulled form the gp-io site gives link errors, 7
> unresolved externals.  An example of one is,
>
> error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor::close(void)"
> (?[hidden email]@[hidden email]@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function
> "public: static void __cdecl boost::iostreams::detail::close_impl<struct
> boost::iostreams::closable_tag>::close<class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink>(class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink &,int)"
> (??$[hidden email]@[hidden email]@@@?$[hidden email]@[hidden email]@@@[hidden email]@boost@@[hidden email]@[hidden email])
>
> In the past with other libraries, similar errors were fixable (ensuring
> correct path is set in the IDE, #includes are in correct order, etc).
> I'm using VS 2017 and the "intellisense" isn't showing any issues.  I
> have added paths for includes and linker libraries the same way I've
> done in the past with other libs and they've worked.
>
> I'm reaching out to the boost community to see if anyone has had this
> issue with a similar combination of libraries.

It looks like the Visual Studio Project Property Pages | Linker |
General | Additional Library Directories property is not set.  If you
are building for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, you will have to have
different paths to the Boost library files.  There is not yet a bit size
in the library file names.  For example, on my various projects, I have
all 32-bit library files in C:\Boost\lib.  I have all 64-bit library
files in C:\Boost\lib\x64.  When the Visual Studio project's 32-bit
Additional Library Directories property is user set, the ending string
has a special automatically added value:

C:\Boost\lib;%(AdditionalLibraryDirectories)

Keep in mind that the Visual Studio Property Pages dialog drop down
combination selection is key to knowing which configuration combination
is modified.  The dialog combo boxes do not synchronize with the current
selection in the editing environment.

Robert

> Thanks in advance for your help.
> David

Re: Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list
On 11/15/2017 11:05 AM, David Bergman via Boost-build wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Thanks for the help.  Though I will say that the Visual Studio Project
> Property Pages | Linker |
> General | Additional Library Directories property is actually set to the
> lib directory.  I may have the dir name wrong and will check that.
> I will also look into your second comment.  This is a little beyond my
> level of sophistication.
>
> In the event that these issues do not resolve I wonder if there could be
> a conflict with another "include" dir.  For example, I want to use the
> traditional boost header files for math functions and have that path set
> in ... | VC++ Directories | Include Directories.  Also, since I'm trying
> to use gp-io with this might there be a conflict with that?

I am not aware of a conflict.  I have not directly used gp-io though.  I
think if there is a conflict, you would observe duplicate or ambiguous
symbol messages from the linker.

Robert

> David

Re: Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list

On 15/11/2017 14:38, David Bergman via Boost-build wrote:

> I recently posted about getting the boost libraries to build.  This
> issue is solved but I've run into another.
> I'm trying to use gnuplot, and gnuplot-iostream to develop a GUI for
> simulation s/w and the gp-iostream uses boost::iostream.
>
> A simple example pulled form the gp-io site gives link errors, 7
> unresolved externals.  An example of one is,
>
> error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor::close(void)"
> (?close@file_descriptor@iostreams@boost@@QAEXXZ) referenced in
> function "public: static void __cdecl
> boost::iostreams::detail::close_impl<struct
> boost::iostreams::closable_tag>::close<class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink>(class
> boost::iostreams::file_descriptor_sink &,int)"
> (??$close@Vfile_descriptor_sink@iostreams@boost@@@?$close_impl@Uclosable_tag@iostreams@boost@@@detail@iostreams@boost@@SAXAAVfile_descriptor_sink@23@H@Z)
>
> In the past with other libraries, similar errors were fixable
> (ensuring correct path is set in the IDE, #includes are in correct
> order, etc).  I'm using VS 2017 and the "intellisense" isn't showing
> any issues.  I have added paths for includes and linker libraries the
> same way I've done in the past with other libs and they've worked.
>
> I'm reaching out to the boost community to see if anyone has had this
> issue with a similar combination of libraries.

Here's a question: are you using Boost's auto-linking feature?  I
suspect not, and that this is the cause of your issues.

John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Missing libs?

Boost - Build mailing list
John,

Thanks for your comment.  After reading through the information on the boost site I am not sure how to "auto-link" except to choose the path in the IDE.
Is there something within boost that I need to do to activate this?

Thanks,
David