Minimum template for compiler toolset

Boost - Build mailing list
What would be the minimum template or skeleton for a new C++ compiler
toolset as a jamfile ? Does such a template physically exist in Boost
Build ?

I have read the Boost Build Extender Manual in the Boost Build
documentation. But it seems to me that all C++ compilers do more or less
the same thing, which is:

1) Compile C++ source files into an object file
2) Create either a static or shared library from object files
3) Create an executable from object files

and therefore a common template for all C++ compiler toolsets could be
provided in Boost Build from which a programmer can create his own by
plugging in compiler features and command lines, since all C++ compilers
have the same metatargets more or less.

Re: Minimum template for compiler toolset

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 1/28/20 2:04 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
> What would be the minimum template or skeleton for a new C++ compiler
> toolset as a jamfile ? Does such a template physically exist in Boost
> Build ?

I use como-linux for this.  It's close to minimal.

> I have read the Boost Build Extender Manual in the Boost Build
> documentation. But it seems to me that all C++ compilers do more or less
> the same thing, which is:
>
> 1) Compile C++ source files into an object file
> 2) Create either a static or shared library from object files
> 3) Create an executable from object files
>
> and therefore a common template for all C++ compiler toolsets could be
> provided in Boost Build from which a programmer can create his own by
> plugging in compiler features and command lines, since all C++ compilers
> have the same metatargets more or less.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe