Mathias Gaunard / NumScale relationship

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Niall, hi Andrey,

I'm taking on to send you an email in private w/r to your questions on
the list regarding Boost.SIMD, Mathias Gaunard and its relationship with
NumScale. I'm adding Michael in CC: as he knows about the whole ordeal
already and will corroborate my claims.

Mathias has been one of the engineer I hired and then associate with to
fund MetaScale, the company that will later become NumScale. He let the
company after being ousted by one of our early investor for basically
running the company into the wall and generally not knowing how to do
business. He left for Bloomberg and started actually speaking about
Boost.SIMD *as if* the internal information he gathered from within
NumScale could be released to the public without our consent inclding
internal benchmark report and road-map information. I imagine you
understand why the cease&desist letter was then send.

We have a bunch of other people using Boost.SIMD and they're doing fine
(including other company and a bunch of OS project). I dont see why
we'll be suing people using our open source software, which is different
from using piece of the software he should not have.

Since being laid off, Mathias kept trying to make our company and effort
within open source fails by playing the victim and basically retelling
history as he see fit. Also note that Mathias verbally threaten me that
he will make this review a failure for us.

This is the factual story of the whole thing:

- 2003-2006 I worked in my PhD on something called E.V.E which was a
EDSL in C++ able to supp0rot SIMD operations on PPC Altivec.
- 2008 I'm now an assistant professor and work on a project called NT2
(that has been spoken about on the list a bunch of time) in
collaboration with Jean-Thierry Lapresté which works on a huge amount of
libm vectorisation code. Inside NT2, a remnant of E.V.E lingers and get
worked on to support x86.
- 2010 or some such, We start isolating the SIMD layer from NT2. At the
same time, the university authorizes the release and open exploitation
of NT2 as a whole in open source. NT2 and its internal soon-to-be
Boost.SIMD is released under a Boost Licence.
  - around 2011, *I hire* Mathias to work on some part of NT2 and
related project that culminates in 2012 at the creation of MetaScale.
  - We start speaking of NT2 and Boost.SIMD separately and it's probably
around this time I raise the idea to make an actual submission to Boost.
  - 2014 for reasons that has no value being exposed here, Mathias
leaves MetaScale and NumScale is funded to replace it.
  - 2015 The amount of people actively working on NT2 plummets and
NumScale's team decide to reuse parts of Boost.SIMD into what bSIMD will
become.
  - 2016 the rewrite is complete and the lack of support on NT2 make me
pull the plug on the project. NumScale decide to open source back some
parts of bSIMD, leaving this new Boost.SIMD made out of bSIMD be the
sole remnant of this.

And as your concerns goes Andrey about NumScale blocking PR or w/e
coming into Boost.SIMD, The key point here is that Mathias is no longer
affiliated with NumScale and has no information nor actual reason to
speak on our behalf. NumScale has no plan to at short term release ITS
OWN support for some architectures. This does not preclude anybody
trying to undertake the effort to support an other architecture as long
as yes, it is not Mathias pulling up the files we own he scavenged
before leaving. We had had someone from ETH Zurich starting a port on
QPX, something we also started but never finished due to other
constraints. If this ever completes then, yeah it'll probably go inside
the Open Source version if it's of enough good quality.

We have various plan and discussion going on with different vendor and
open sourcing more is planned at later date and depending on things I
can not legally speak of because NDA.

I'm planning to write or have Michael answer those issues publicly in a
way I don't spread too much information that has nothing to do in
public. I would appreciate if this line of discussion stay private for
now until we address this properly in public.

Meanwhile, I'm open to answer your other question.

Best regards

Joel

Re: Mathias Gaunard / NumScale relationship

Boost - Dev mailing list
Obviously I don't know how to send an email, this has been meant to be a
private email and it is not. SO let's finissh this off publicly

I wish Mathias don't speak on our behalf in this issue as he has
no actual claims to do so. Our common story has ended badly and I regret
it. Some stuff were said and they probably should not have
and I would appreciate they stay out of this actual review : is
Boost.SIMD worthwile to be included into boost.

Re: Mathias Gaunard / NumScale relationship

Bryce Adelstein Lelbach
It's rare for me to make an appearance on this list (I'm more an IRC guy), but
this will do it.

Joel Falcou wrote:
> Obviously I don't know how to send an email

I agree :).

Joel Falcou wrote:
> Some stuff were said and they probably should not have and I would appreciate
> they stay out of this actual review

I strongly agree.

Joel Falcou wrote:
> So let's finish this off publicly

No. I think it is best that we do not continue this discussion.

This mailing list is indexed and widely read. I think it is detrimental to all
parties involved, and the Boost.SIMD library, to get into the details of this
matter on this mailing list.

Joel Falcou write:
> I wish Mathias don't speak on our behalf in this issue as he has no actual
> claims to do so.

Let's assume that (a) Mathias Gaunard is not intentionally speaking on your
behalf; instead, assume that (b) some people were unaware that Mathias and
NumScale parted ways and thought that Mathias still represented NumScale.

I suspect this thread will be read by many people. So, now the community will
know that Mathias Gaunard does not speak for NumScale or you.

Therefore, there should be nothing more to discuss. Your desire to ensure that
the community does not believe Mathias is speaking on behalf of NumScale is
fulfilled.

There should be no need for further discussion.

TL;DR - I ask that this discussion end here and now. Let this thread die.

--
Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
CppCon and C++Now Program Chair

Re: Mathias Gaunard / NumScale relationship

On 8 April 2017 at 16:00, Joel FALCOU via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> effort to support an other architecture as long as yes, it is not Mathias
> pulling up the files we own he scavenged before leaving. We had had someone
> from ETH Zurich starting a port on QPX, something we also started but never
> finished due to other constraints. If this ever completes then, yeah it'll
> probably go inside the Open Source version if it's of enough good quality.
>
> We have various plan and discussion going on with different vendor and
> open sourcing more is planned at later date and depending on things I can
> not legally speak of because NDA.
>
> I'm planning to write or have Michael answer those issues publicly in a
> way I don't spread too much information that has nothing to do in public. I
> would appreciate if this line of discussion stay private for now until we
> address this properly in public.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm open to answer your other question.

Most of those claims are inaccurate and blatant defamation, for which I
could trigger legal action.
They can be proved false trivially, but let's not dwell on that.

I have no agenda in bringing harm to NumScale, Boost.SIMD, and the people
associated with it, I'm just making people aware of the situation about
using that technology. I think the technology is somewhat interesting, if
over-engineered for the little it does, but that the IP situation is too
messy and badly managed to risk it.

That Bloomberg LP was sent a cease-and-desist letter where NumScale claimed
ownership on Boost.SIMD and asked for destruction of all related material,
despite that material being covered by the Boost Software License and being
published in academic journals, is a fact. (I can provide justification
upon request)
When I asked Joel what this was about, he told me it was just the new board
being over-zealous to protect their IP, and they only had suspicion of
copyright infringement and no proof, which proved to be wrong. No apology
was ever issued.

Of course there are other issues of dubious legal nature concerning that
company, and I could go and correct the history of how things actually
transpired between me and NumScale, but that seems irrelevant to the
question at hand, which is whether Boost.SIMD is a good fit to be
distributed as part of the Boost C++ libraries.