[Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

[Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

Lior Kogan
I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted it
on CodeProject. See

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx

I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.

Thank you,
Lior

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

Krzysztof Czainski
2011/5/26 Lior Kogan <[hidden email]>

> I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted it
> on CodeProject. See
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx
>

> I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.
>
> Thank you,
> Lior

Hi Lior,

I enjoyed scanning your article, and I would be interested in such a
library; I even wrote a very simple version for my own needs, but that was a
very quick and dirty class ;-) I'd also be interested in something similar
for integers.

Are your Circular Values a bounded group (in the mathematical sense)?

Regards
Kris

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

grubino
I like that idea.

An integer version of this lib would be a good start for a boost lib that
supports arbitrary finite groups (you get cyclic and dihedral for free).  I
think such a thing would probably be more generally described in terms of
permutations though.

Greg Rubino

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

Lior Kogan
Thank you Kris,

I'll consider the integer case as well. I believe it would be
a separate library.

The set of real numbers in the range [l,h) with the defined circular
operation + is indeed a bounded group (z is the identity element, and -c is
the inverse element of c) - according to the definitions in sections 14,16
of the article.

However, all other defined operations (multiplication/division with real
numbers, trigonometric functions, etc.) extend circular value mathematics
beyond the scope of group algebra.

Lior.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Krzysztof Czainski <[hidden email]>wrote:

> 2011/5/26 Lior Kogan <[hidden email]>
>
> > I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted
> it
> > on CodeProject. See
> >
> > http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx
> >

> > I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Lior
> >

> Hi Lior,
>
> I enjoyed scanning your article, and I would be interested in such a
> library; I even wrote a very simple version for my own needs, but that was
> very quick and dirty class ;-) I'd also be interested in something similar
> for integers.
>
> Are your Circular Values a bounded group (in the mathematical sense)?
>
> Regards
> Kris

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

John Maddock-3
>I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted it
> on CodeProject. See
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx
>
> I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.

+1 from me, I'm not familiar with the field, but it certainly looks
interesting and useful,

John.

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

Vicente Botet
Lior Kogan wrote
I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted it
on CodeProject. See

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx

I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.
Hi,

I'm interested too. An an integral/enumerated version will be also welcome. I'm thinking for example to hours on a day, the days of the week, months,

Best,
Vicente

Re: [Math and numerics] interest in Circular values math and statistics library ?

Barend Gehrels
Hi Lior,

On 26-5-2011 21:06, Lior Kogan wrote:
> I built a C++0x circular-values math and statistics library, and posted it
> on CodeProject. See
>
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/recipes/Circular-Values.aspx
>

> I wonder if such library may be a welcomed addition to Boost.

I'm interested too. Would be very convenient for Boost.Geometry's
spherical/geographic geometry.

Regards, Barend