License questions

Boost - Users mailing list
I am making a confidential commercial closed-source program, and Boost's libraries seem useful for me. I can't tell if the Boost license allows me to include it in closed-source. Would anybody know?

Re: License questions

Boost - Users mailing list
On 23 March 2017 at 17:38, Julian D. via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am making a confidential commercial closed-source program, and Boost's
> libraries seem useful for me. I can't tell if the Boost license allows me to
> include it in closed-source. Would anybody know?

http://www.boost.org/users/license.html#requirements

2nd bullet

Re: License questions

That appears to be the definition of what license they wanted, not the actual license. The license body makes it unclear if I can use this in a closed-source commercial environment

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:54:04 +0100
From: Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Boost-users] License questions

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am making a confidential commercial closed-source program, and Boost's
> libraries seem useful for me. I can't tell if the Boost license allows me to
> include it in closed-source. Would anybody know?

http://www.boost.org/users/license.html#requirements

2nd bullet

Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: License questions

Boost - Users mailing list
On 23 March 2017 at 22:23, Julian D. via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That appears to be the definition of what license they wanted, not the
> actual license.

And they they got what they wanted. The pages says it clearly.

"It was requested that a single Boost license be developed that met
the traditional requirements that Boost licenses, particularly:
(...)
The result is the Boost Software License:
(...)"

> The license body makes it unclear if I can use this in a
> closed-source commercial environment

Contact a lawyer then.

Re: License questions

Boost - Users mailing list
Practically the answer is it is fine to include Boost in closed source programs and tons of software does.

If you are going to be fussy you can find problems.  See this thread from 2013.  I doubt much had changed:

I've worked at multiple companies (large and small) that used Boost without worrying about details like that. Only one company worried about those details and my conclusion is that they were crazy.

IANAL

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That appears to be the definition of what license they wanted, not the

> actual license.

And they they got what they wanted. The pages says it clearly.

"It was requested that a single Boost license be developed that met

the traditional requirements that Boost licenses, particularly:

(...)

The result is the Boost Software License:

(...)"

> The license body makes it unclear if I can use this in a

> closed-source commercial environment

Contact a lawyer then.

Re: License questions

You could also contact the lawyer for Software Freedom Conservancy, which is the legal entity of which the Boost Libraries are a project.

Or you could save yourself a long of time, money, and heartache and just use the libraries. This is the intent of the license and is the understanding of every contributor to the libraries and everyone that has ever been involved with Boost at any point in its existence.

Jon

Op 23-Mar-17 om 17:38 schreef Julian D. via Boost-users:
> I am making a confidential commercial closed-source program, and
> Boost's libraries seem useful for me. I can't tell if the Boost
> license allows me to include it in closed-source. Would anybody know?

Yours is a legal question, so the pedantic answer is that nobody can
know, because it is ultimately up to the judges in the different
jurisdictions to apply the license in relation to the prevalent laws.

But the license is rather simple and short. The first section states
that you can do boost what you want. The second section states a
limitation, but explicitly not for executable code. The last section is
just a BIG DISCLAIMER.

But when in doubt (a good state to be in) consult your company's lawyer.

Wouter "Objects? No Thanks!" van Ooijen