Library added as source when building DLL for a toolset

Library added as source when building DLL for a toolset

Boost - Build mailing list
On the compiler toolset which I am developing, when a DLL is being
built, besides the object files which comprise the DLL Boost Build is
adding as a source file the name of the DLL with a lib extension. So if
my DLL is called MySource.dll, Boost Build is adding as a source file
for building the DLL MyBuild.lib. Naturally because of this the build o
of the DLL fails because MyBuild.lib does not exist.

My toolset, call it CCC, inherits generators, flags, and rules from
toolset BBB, which in turn inherits generators. flags, and rules from
toolset AAA. But neither toolset BBB nor AAA, when building MyBuild.dll,
has a file called MyBuild.lib added to the source.

Does anyone withe knowledge of how Boost Build works have any idea why
this might be happening in my toolset ? Any help would be greatly
appreciated !

Re: Library added as source when building DLL for a toolset

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 3/16/20 1:07 AM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
> On the compiler toolset which I am developing, when a DLL is being
> built, besides the object files which comprise the DLL Boost Build is
> adding as a source file the name of the DLL with a lib extension. So if
> my DLL is called MySource.dll, Boost Build is adding as a source file
> for building the DLL MyBuild.lib. Naturally because of this the build o
> of the DLL fails because MyBuild.lib does not exist.

Does your DLL export any symbols?

> My toolset, call it CCC, inherits generators, flags, and rules from
> toolset BBB, which in turn inherits generators. flags, and rules from
> toolset AAA. But neither toolset BBB nor AAA, when building MyBuild.dll,
> has a file called MyBuild.lib added to the source.
>
> Does anyone withe knowledge of how Boost Build works have any idea why
> this might be happening in my toolset ? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated !

MyBuild.lib is the import library for MyBuild.dll.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

On 3/16/2020 6:41 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 3/16/20 1:07 AM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
>> On the compiler toolset which I am developing, when a DLL is being
>> built, besides the object files which comprise the DLL Boost Build is
>> adding as a source file the name of the DLL with a lib extension. So if
>> my DLL is called MySource.dll, Boost Build is adding as a source file
>> for building the DLL MyBuild.lib. Naturally because of this the build o
>> of the DLL fails because MyBuild.lib does not exist.
>>

> Does your DLL export any symbols?

Yes.

>> My toolset, call it CCC, inherits generators, flags, and rules from
>> toolset BBB, which in turn inherits generators. flags, and rules from
>> toolset AAA. But neither toolset BBB nor AAA, when building MyBuild.dll,
>> has a file called MyBuild.lib added to the source.
>>
>> Does anyone withe knowledge of how Boost Build works have any idea why
>> this might be happening in my toolset ? Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated !
>>

> MyBuild.lib is the import library for MyBuild.dll.

Why is the import library for a DLL listed as a source for building that
DLL ? Normally an import library for another DLL might be a necessary
source for building a DLL, but not its own import library. In other
words once a DLL id built the dll.link action might also include as part
of its action a command to produce an import library for that DLL but
why would the DLL's import library be a source file for creating the DLL
itself in the first place when clearly the DLL has not been built yet ?

> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Re: Library added as source when building DLL for a toolset

Boost - Build mailing list
On 3/16/2020 6:41 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 3/16/20 1:07 AM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
>> On the compiler toolset which I am developing, when a DLL is being
>> built, besides the object files which comprise the DLL Boost Build is
>> adding as a source file the name of the DLL with a lib extension. So if
>> my DLL is called MySource.dll, Boost Build is adding as a source file
>> for building the DLL MyBuild.lib. Naturally because of this the build o
>> of the DLL fails because MyBuild.lib does not exist.
>>

> Does your DLL export any symbols?
>
>> My toolset, call it CCC, inherits generators, flags, and rules from
>> toolset BBB, which in turn inherits generators. flags, and rules from
>> toolset AAA. But neither toolset BBB nor AAA, when building MyBuild.dll,
>> has a file called MyBuild.lib added to the source.
>>
>> Does anyone withe knowledge of how Boost Build works have any idea why
>> this might be happening in my toolset ? Any help would be greatly
>> appreciated !
>>

> MyBuild.lib is the import library for MyBuild.dll.

OK, I see it now. Both the dll and implib file are targets, not the dll
as the target and the implib as a source. My bad !