KCC and EDG toolsets

Vladimir Prus

Hi!
V1 has two toolsets which are not present in V2 -- "kcc" and "edg". The first
is for KAI C++ compiler, which was bought by Intel and is no longer
available. The second is for "EDG frontend (evaluation version)", and I
frankly have no idea how one can get that.

We don't have no regressions running with those, and I suspect close to zero
users. So: would it be OK to just drop those for V2?

- Volodya

Re: KCC and EDG toolsets

ANDREW MARLOW, BLOOMBERG/ LONDON OF
Isnt the EDG compiler the one by Greg Comeau?
If so then IMO it would be good to keep support
for this if possible. It is a VERY thorough compiler...

Bugzilla from markus.schoepflin@comsoft.de
ANDREW MARLOW, BLOOMBERG/ LONDON OF wrote:

> Isnt the EDG compiler the one by Greg Comeau?
> If so then IMO it would be good to keep support
> for this if possible. It is a VERY thorough compiler...

No, EDG is the C++ front end of the Edison Design Group. It is licensed to
different vendors who don't want to write their own C++ front end. HP's
Tru64 CXX compiler for example is using the EDG front end.

I had no idea there was an evaluation version of the EDG front end, and
looking at the EDG web page, no evaluation version is mentioned. So it
would say, yes, go ahead and drop it.

Markus

Re: KCC and EDG toolsets

Vladimir Prus
On Thursday 09 February 2006 14:41, ANDREW MARLOW, BLOOMBERG/ LONDON OF wrote:
> Isnt the EDG compiler the one by Greg Comeau?

No, the comeau compiler *uses* the EDG frontend, but otherwise, it's a
separate thing with a separate toolset file.

- Volodya

Re: KCC and EDG toolsets

Bronek Kozicki
Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We don't have no regressions running with those, and I suspect close
> to zero
> users. So: would it be OK to just drop those for V2?

I run como tests from time to time (these are very CPU intensive, that's
why I do not run them everyday) and como tests are based on EDG toolset.

B.

Re: KCC and EDG toolsets

Vladimir Prus
On Thursday 09 February 2006 17:00, Bronek Kozicki wrote:
> Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We don't have no regressions running with those, and I suspect close
> > to zero
> > users. So: would it be OK to just drop those for V2?
>
> I run como tests from time to time (these are very CPU intensive, that's
> why I do not run them everyday) and como tests are based on EDG toolset.

Can you clarify? The "como-tools.jam" file does not contains string "edg"
anywhere, so it does not seem to extend "edg-tools.jam". Am I missing
something?

- Volodya

Re: KCC and EDG toolsets

Bronek Kozicki
Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you clarify? The "como-tools.jam" file does not contains string
> "edg" anywhere, so it does not seem to extend "edg-tools.jam". Am I
> missing something?

sorry, my mistake. References to edg are somewhere else , that is
boost\config\compiler\comeau.hpp

B.