Is there a way to dynamically control debug setting?

Is there a way to dynamically control debug setting?

Mark Evans-2
I'm trying to sprout some wings in using and extending bb2 to support a new toolset.  Setting -d5 on the bjam command line produces a ton of output.  Is there a way to enable/disable tracing within the jam code itself at the point where I want to see what is going on under the covers?

Regards,
Mark

Re: Is there a way to dynamically control debug setting?

Vladimir Prus
On Monday 23 January 2006 18:28, Mark Evans wrote:
> I'm trying to sprout some wings in using and extending bb2 to support a new
> toolset.  Setting -d5 on the bjam command line produces a ton of output.
> Is there a way to enable/disable tracing within the jam code itself at the
> point where I want to see what is going on under the covers?

No, it's not possible to change debug level from withing Jam code. You can
either use high-level debug output: the --debug-building and
--debug-generators command line options, or put some ECHO statements to the
code.

- Volodya

Re: Is there a way to dynamically control debug setting?

David Abrahams
Vladimir Prus <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Monday 23 January 2006 18:28, Mark Evans wrote:
>> I'm trying to sprout some wings in using and extending bb2 to support a new
>> toolset.  Setting -d5 on the bjam command line produces a ton of output.
>> Is there a way to enable/disable tracing within the jam code itself at the
>> point where I want to see what is going on under the covers?
>
> No, it's not possible to change debug level from withing Jam code. You can
> either use high-level debug output: the --debug-building and
> --debug-generators command line options, or put some ECHO statements to the
> code.

FWIW, I've wanted that capability.  I even suggested that I could
build a debugger into bjam, but that idea was generally shot down as
not worth the effort.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting