Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Is there any interest in having a new libraries for Boost that is
focused on the audio domain (but with portions applicable
generically)?

I'm thinking about a library that does stuff like:

* finite impulse response filtering
* infinite impulse response filtering
* time stretching, resampling
* audio synthesis
* audio algorithms
* mixing
* plenty of ready-to-run filters:
  - low pass, high pass, band pass
  - echo, reverb, flanger, phaser and the like

This is a pure math library, no actual audio. To get an idea of the
algorithms and use-cases check out my DSPFiltersDemo program (press
Download Now):

<https://github.com/vinniefalco/DSPFiltersDemo>

Please note, my library is not what is being proposed, this would be a
new library from a domain expert (not me).

Thanks

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 12/8/2019 11:53 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:

> Is there any interest in having a new libraries for Boost that is
> focused on the audio domain (but with portions applicable
> generically)?
>
> I'm thinking about a library that does stuff like:
>
> * finite impulse response filtering
> * infinite impulse response filtering
> * time stretching, resampling
> * audio synthesis
> * audio algorithms
> * mixing
> * plenty of ready-to-run filters:
>    - low pass, high pass, band pass
>    - echo, reverb, flanger, phaser and the like
>
> This is a pure math library, no actual audio. To get an idea of the
> algorithms and use-cases check out my DSPFiltersDemo program (press
> Download Now):
>
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/DSPFiltersDemo>
>
> Please note, my library is not what is being proposed, this would be a
> new library from a domain expert (not me).
>
> Thanks

I would definitely be interested!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Boost
> Sent: 8 December 2019 22:53
> To: [hidden email] List <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [boost] Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?
>
> Is there any interest in having a new libraries for Boost that is focused on
the audio

> domain (but with portions applicable generically)?
>
> I'm thinking about a library that does stuff like:
>
> * finite impulse response filtering
> * infinite impulse response filtering
> * time stretching, resampling
> * audio synthesis
> * audio algorithms
> * mixing
> * plenty of ready-to-run filters:
>   - low pass, high pass, band pass
>   - echo, reverb, flanger, phaser and the like
>
> This is a pure math library, no actual audio. To get an idea of the algorithms
and use-
> cases check out my DSPFiltersDemo program (press Download Now):
>
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/DSPFiltersDemo>
>
> Please note, my library is not what is being proposed, this would be a new
library
> from a domain expert (not me).

Definitely useful.

(The would-be author might like to look at Boost.Math (and even at
Boost.Multiprecision) because there must be some overlap and gratuitous
differences/ incompatibilities should be avoided?

Paul

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 3:07 AM Paul A Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> (The would-be author might like to look at Boost.Math (and even at
> Boost.Multiprecision) because there must be some overlap and gratuitous
> differences/ incompatibilities should be avoided?

Phew...Boost.Math is pretty big! Which algorithms or types from these
libraries did you have in mind?

Thanks

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Hi boost and vinnie,

 From a musicians (and coder's) point of view(a quick and short): yes ;)
Cheers
Greg

Quoting Vinnie Falco via Boost <[hidden email]>:

> Is there any interest in having a new libraries for Boost that isf
> focused on the audio domain (but with portions applicable
> generically)?
>
> I'm thinking about a library that does stuff like:
>
> * finite impulse response filtering
> * infinite impulse response filtering
> * time stretching, resampling
> * audio synthesis
> * audio algorithms
> * mixing
> * plenty of ready-to-run filters:
>   - low pass, high pass, band pass
>   - echo, reverb, flanger, phaser and the like
>
> This is a pure math library, no actual audio. To get an idea of the
> algorithms and use-cases check out my DSPFiltersDemo program (press
> Download Now):
>
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/DSPFiltersDemo>
>
> Please note, my library is not what is being proposed, this would be a
> new library from a domain expert (not me).
>
> Thanks

Tell me, and I forget. Ask me, and I discover...

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 12:06, Paul A Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

By the way, there is also https://github.com/cycfi/Q and
I have been wondering if Joel is planning to submit it...

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

Re: Interest in an audio filtering / algorithm Library?

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:41 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, there is also https://github.com/cycfi/Q and
> I have been wondering if Joel is planning to submit it...

This looks QUITE GOOD!!! MIT License though.

On 12/9/19 07:51, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:41 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> By the way, there is also https://github.com/cycfi/Q and
>> I have been wondering if Joel is planning to submit it...
>
> This looks QUITE GOOD!!! MIT License though.

I suspect Joel might be willing to change it. He has several other
libraries under the Boost license.

michael

--
Michael Caisse