Installing headers and libs

Phillip Seaver
I've got a jamfile like the following:

lib foo : foo.c ;
install libs : foo : <location>/usr/local/lib ;
install headers : foo.h : <location>/usr/local/include ;

The problem I'm running into is that if I run bjam from a different
directory (say, an executable that links with foo), it just copies the
lib file.  If I run it from the foo project directory, it copies both.
Bug?  Stupid user?

Thanks,

Phillip

Re: Installing headers and libs

Phillip Seaver
Phillip Seaver wrote:

> I've got a jamfile like the following:
>
> lib foo : foo.c ;
> install libs : foo : <location>/usr/local/lib ;
> install headers : foo.h : <location>/usr/local/include ;
>
> The problem I'm running into is that if I run bjam from a different
> directory (say, an executable that links with foo), it just copies the
> lib file.  If I run it from the foo project directory, it copies both.
> Bug?  Stupid user?
As additional information, it will build the lib and install the lib and
headers if I do "bjam /foo" from anywhere.  Building the executable that
has "/foo" in the sources builds and installs the lib but not the
headers.  I happened to notice that when it links the executable, it
links against both the one in the build tree and the one in the install
directory, which doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

The reason I want to do this is for a project that's being built with
xcode (and also for the ones being built with the MS IDE later), so they
don't have to track down all the libs and headers and "hard-code" them
in their project.

Also, it doesn't build dependent libraries unless I'm building an
executable.  For example, if there's a bar library and it depends on
foo, building /bar doesn't build /foo.  How hard would it be to change
this behavior?

Thanks,

Phillip

Re: Installing headers and libs

Phillip Seaver
Sorry to repost but I'd really like to know if I'm mis-using it or if
it's a bug.

Thanks