Impossible to download a boost source from bintray: 403 Forbidden

Impossible to download a boost source from bintray: 403 Forbidden

Boost - Users mailing list
Dear All,

I cannot download a boost source from bintray, e.g.,
https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release/1.73.0/source/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2
returns 403 Forbidden.
OTOH, sourceforge works:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.73.0/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2.

Best

--
Eisuke Kawashima

Re: Impossible to download a boost source from bintray: 403 Forbidden

Boost - Users mailing list
On 06/06/2020 18:33, Eisuke Kawashima via Boost-users wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I cannot download a boost source from bintray, e.g.,
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release/1.73.0/source/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2
> returns 403 Forbidden.

This happens once a month when the monthly quota for free hosting has
reached its maximum.  Boost relies on free hosting of their cdn and so
they are at a mercy of the hosting provider - IBM.

I think Google Firebase would be a better option because that is also
free but I was told it is not an option because of the work involved to
moving the repository on to Firebase.

Their supplier is SoftLayer -
<https://www.ibm.com/uk-en/cloud/info/softlayer-is-now-ibm-cloud>. It
used to be free at one time but they seem to have made it commercial.  I
have still got an account with them but I rarely use it.

--
With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 10:54 AM 😉 Good Guy 😉 via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/06/2020 18:33, Eisuke Kawashima via Boost-users wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I cannot download a boost source from bintray, e.g.,
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release/1.73.0/source/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2
> returns 403 Forbidden.

This happens once a month when the monthly quota for free hosting has
reached its maximum.  Boost relies on free hosting of their cdn and so
they are at a mercy of the hosting provider - IBM.

I think Google Firebase would be a better option because that is also
free but I was told it is not an option because of the work involved to
moving the repository on to Firebase.

I just took a loot at Google Firebase, and the free tier (10 GB/month)
would last us (much) less than an hour.

-- Marshall

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 12:40 PM Marshall Clow <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 10:34 AM Eisuke Kawashima via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear All,

I cannot download a boost source from bintray, e.g.,
https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release/1.73.0/source/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2
returns 403 Forbidden.
OTOH, sourceforge works:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.73.0/boost_1_73_0.tar.bz2.

We (boost) have reached our monthly allocation of bandwidth donated by Bintray/JFrog (Thanks, JFrog!)
We're trying to figure out how we blew through that much bandwidth in 5+ days. (10s of TB).

I will post here again when we know more.

This should be fixed now.

-- Marshall