[IBD] RSS News Feed

Matias Capeletto
Hello Boost,

IBD news url:  http://beta.boost.org/development/ibd_news.rss

The IBD news feed consists of formal announces about the things going
on in the project, they are very short and direct headlines. Some of
the common subjects are new members, new subprojects, help requests
and completed translation.

If you are interested in following IBD progress subscribing to this
news feed is the best way to be up to date. We will continue with the
weekly digest on the boost list, but since we are now more than ten
developers working on the project one week is starting to be a lot
time. We are currently updating the RSS with two to three news a day.

Stay tuned.

Best regards
Matias

PS: It is an important widget in my iGoogle now :)
http://matias.capeletto.googlepages.com/ibd_igoogle.png

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Stuart Dootson
On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Boost,
>
> IBD news url:  http://beta.boost.org/development/ibd_news.rss
>
> The IBD news feed consists of formal announces about the things going
> on in the project, they are very short and direct headlines. Some of
> the common subjects are new members, new subprojects, help requests
> and completed translation.
>
> If you are interested in following IBD progress subscribing to this
> news feed is the best way to be up to date. We will continue with the
> weekly digest on the boost list, but since we are now more than ten
> developers working on the project one week is starting to be a lot
> time. We are currently updating the RSS with two to three news a day.
>
> Stay tuned.
>
> Best regards
> Matias
>
> PS: It is an important widget in my iGoogle now :)

Subscribed - are you going to announce new releases of the
documentation testing docs via RSS?

Stuart

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Matias Capeletto
On 7/9/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Boost,
> >
> > IBD news url:  http://beta.boost.org/development/ibd_news.rss
> >
> > The IBD news feed consists of formal announces about the things going
> > on in the project, they are very short and direct headlines. Some of
> > the common subjects are new members, new subprojects, help requests
> > and completed translation.
>
> Subscribed - are you going to announce new releases of the
> documentation testing docs via RSS?

The RSS will be our main medium to show our progress. The idea is that
any interest booster will be subscribed to it, even if he is not
working in the project.
I will prefer we do some internal testing before announcing a new
feature in the feed, in order to avoid an alluvium of "this is not
working" mails. Once we feel the feature is stable we can announce it
to the outside world (that means, to all other boosters).

Your question was a good one. It makes me realize that we are using
the same DocTest document for two unrelated tasks.

We use it for testing purpose, so it is likely to be broken most of the time.

And we have been using it to showcase the new features. It is natural
since this document include every possible construct (not quite, but
is the idea... there are many thing we have to add to it... someone
willing to expend sometime on this?).

The problem is that we will break our showcase tool the very moment we
announce it.

I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.

What do you think about this?

Best regards
Matias

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Michael Marcin
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> On 7/9/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello Boost,
>>>
>>> IBD news url:  http://beta.boost.org/development/ibd_news.rss
>>>
>>> The IBD news feed consists of formal announces about the things going
>>> on in the project, they are very short and direct headlines. Some of
>>> the common subjects are new members, new subprojects, help requests
>>> and completed translation.
>> Subscribed - are you going to announce new releases of the
>> documentation testing docs via RSS?
>
> The RSS will be our main medium to show our progress. The idea is that
> any interest booster will be subscribed to it, even if he is not
> working in the project.
> I will prefer we do some internal testing before announcing a new
> feature in the feed, in order to avoid an alluvium of "this is not
> working" mails. Once we feel the feature is stable we can announce it
> to the outside world (that means, to all other boosters).
>
> Your question was a good one. It makes me realize that we are using
> the same DocTest document for two unrelated tasks.
>
> We use it for testing purpose, so it is likely to be broken most of the time.
>
> And we have been using it to showcase the new features. It is natural
> since this document include every possible construct (not quite, but
> is the idea... there are many thing we have to add to it... someone
> willing to expend sometime on this?).
>
> The problem is that we will break our showcase tool the very moment we
> announce it.
>
> I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
> Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
> with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
> tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.
>
> What do you think about this?

Sounds like you need a stable branch that can be merged into when new
features are ready for mass consumption.

- Michael Marcin

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Matias Capeletto
On 7/9/07, Michael Marcin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matias Capeletto wrote:
> > I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
> > Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
> > with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
> > tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.
> >
> > What do you think about this?

> Sounds like you need a stable branch that can be merged into when new
> features are ready for mass consumption.

It is the same idea, but we are not talking about the layout in the repository.
You can take a look at:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostDocsRepository

We already have a trunk, tags and branches structure there.

The problem is about the DocTest online version.

Best regards
Matias

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Stuart Dootson
On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
> Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
> with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
> tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> Best regards
> Matias

Release and development versions, in effect? Yep, I can go with that.

Stuart

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Matias Capeletto
On 7/10/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
> > Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
> > with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
> > tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> Release and development versions, in effect?

Yes.

> Yep, I can go with that.

Great. Will it be possible to maintain two tables, one for each DocTest?
We then can make the release table more visible to outsiders, and the
other one will be for us. I think it is just a copy and paste from the
development table once we decide to release.

Best regards
Matias

Re: [IBD] RSS News Feed

Stuart Dootson
On 10/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/10/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 09/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think we can solve this maintaining two separate on-line copies of
> > > Boos.DocTest. One will be used for testing purpose, so we can play
> > > with it whit out bothering anyone; and the other will be update with
> > > tested stuff and will be used to showcase our progress.
> > >
> > > What do you think about this?
> >
> > Release and development versions, in effect?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Yep, I can go with that.
>
> Great. Will it be possible to maintain two tables, one for each DocTest?
> We then can make the release table more visible to outsiders, and the
> other one will be for us. I think it is just a copy and paste from the
> development table once we decide to release.

Same page or a new page?

> Best regards
> Matias

Stuart