I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

12

I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
This is a follow-up to the message where I asked for help about a failed attempt to build Boost.  I ran b2 with the -d+2 command in addition to the other commands and also redirected the output to a file.  It's attached to this message, as well as the project-config.jam file.

boost-build.log (1M) Download Attachment
project-config.jam (1K) Download Attachment

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
> This is a follow-up to the message where I asked for help about a failed attempt to build Boost.  I ran b2 with the -d+2 command in addition to the other commands and also redirected the output to a file.  It's attached to this message, as well as the project-config.jam file.

When you join a log file to an email, please compress it. Your 1Mb
file becomes 29kb with just bzip2 -9 but anything else would do the
same.
Did you discover anything interesting in the log?

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
Is there something wrong with the configuration?  I see linker and compiler errors, but for the latter it's only for GetModuleA.  How do I get it to find those things?

> This is a follow-up to the message where I asked for help about a failed attempt to build Boost.  I ran b2 with the -d+2 command in addition to the other commands and also redirected the output to a file.  It's attached to this message, as well as the project-config.jam file.

When you join a log file to an email, please compress it. Your 1Mb
file becomes 29kb with just bzip2 -9 but anything else would do the
same.
Did you discover anything interesting in the log?

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
If I post here which libraries failed, and then show the log file again, will I get more help that way?

I passed arguments "--prefix=C:/Boost" and "--build-dir=C:/Boost_Build", and I have no Boost directory right now even after the build completed.  And I had that same "failed updating 44 targets" error again too.  But I do have .lib files for the following libraries in the stage/lib directory in C:/boost_1_69_0:

Atomic, Chrono, Container, Context, Contract, Coroutine, Date_time, Exception, Fiber, Filesystem, Graph, Iostreams, Locale, Math_c99 (including f and l ones), Math_tr1 (including f and l ones), Prg_exec_monitor, Program_options, Python37, Random, Regex, Serialization, Stacktrace_noop, System, Text_exec_monitor, Thread, Timer, Type_erasure, Unit_test_framework, Wave, Wserialization.

I don't have shared libraries, though.  But maybe I don't those anymore.  I ran b2 without specifying anything other than "--layout=versioned" , "-d+2", and the prefix and build-dir flags.  And directed the output to a log file like before.  Though it could be that some of the .lib files for each of the libraries failed to build.

This is a follow-up to the message where I asked for help about a failed attempt to build Boost.  I ran b2 with the -d+2 command in
addition to the other commands and also redirected the output to a file.  It's attached to this message, as well as the
project-config.jam file.

Well this looks quite encouraging  - in that most of the key libraries are built OK.  Well done for exploring off the end of the
known universe!

You can see a complete list of successes by looking your /lib/ folder.

A few more –Wno- items would reduce clutter in the log file.

You may probably find that you can use what you have to get some or all of your applications going (partly because so much of Boost
is header only).  Worth a try to size the scale of remaining problems?

So congratulations for making a big step forward (despite the size of the log file ;-)

If you decide that you don’t need the failing libraries, you can get a clean build by adding-- without_some_library for example
--without-python ...

>b2 -a will try to build everything from scratch.

(If you want a completely clean re-build, you can, are from time to time should, delete the whole of the folder bin.v2 before
running b2 with all your options - most conveniently in a .bat file).

Sadly I have no idea on individual failures, but I fear you will have to raise a query with each failing library maintainer (on this
list) to find what is missing to build the failing libraries.

For example:

You are not alone is finding that __imp_CryptEnumProvidersA is missing

http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/boost-1-19-0-fails-to-build-random-using-clang-cl-tp4706741.html

I think that this should be provided by “Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider”

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/seccrypto/microsoft-enhanced-cryptographic-provider

is wincrypt.h inaccessible? Or is there a .dll that you need to link?

Sadly Microsoft seem not to provide an index of all these __imp_ items.  I've had to guess :-(

Keep going!

Paul

PS 7-zip.org provides the most popular and convenient zipper.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

If you want shared libraries you need to specify “link=runtime” on the b2 command line.  If you want the libraries to use shared runtime libraries you also need to include “runtime-link=shared”.

This is a follow-up to the message where I asked for help about a failed attempt to build Boost.  I ran b2 with the -d+2 command in
addition to the other commands and also redirected the output to a file.  It's attached to this message, as well as the
project-config.jam file.

Well this looks quite encouraging  - in that most of the key libraries are built OK.  Well done for exploring off the end of the
known universe!

You can see a complete list of successes by looking your /lib/ folder.

A few more –Wno- items would reduce clutter in the log file.

You may probably find that you can use what you have to get some or all of your applications going (partly because so much of Boost
is header only).  Worth a try to size the scale of remaining problems?

So congratulations for making a big step forward (despite the size of the log file ;-)

If you decide that you don’t need the failing libraries, you can get a clean build by adding-- without_some_library for example
--without-python ...

>b2 -a will try to build everything from scratch.

(If you want a completely clean re-build, you can, are from time to time should, delete the whole of the folder bin.v2 before
running b2 with all your options - most conveniently in a .bat file).

Sadly I have no idea on individual failures, but I fear you will have to raise a query with each failing library maintainer (on this
list) to find what is missing to build the failing libraries.

For example:

You are not alone is finding that __imp_CryptEnumProvidersA is missing

http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/boost-1-19-0-fails-to-build-random-using-clang-cl-tp4706741.html

I think that this should be provided by “Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider”

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/seccrypto/microsoft-enhanced-cryptographic-provider

is wincrypt.h inaccessible? Or is there a .dll that you need to link?

Sadly Microsoft seem not to provide an index of all these __imp_ items.  I've had to guess :-(

Keep going!

Paul

PS 7-zip.org provides the most popular and convenient zipper.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

> I passed arguments "--prefix=C:/Boost" and "--build-dir=C:/Boost_Build", and I have no Boost directory right now even after the build completed.  And I had that same "failed updating 44 targets" error again too.  But I do have .lib files for the following libraries in the stage/lib directory in C:/boost_1_69_0:

I have never built boost for Windows using clang (I always build on
Linux with mingw) and I see that it is not part of the regular tests:
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/master/developer/summary.html

Also I always add --without-python which is the first failed library
you have, do you need it?

I always add to b2:
--layout=system --user-config=user-config.jam --without-mpi
--without-python --without-context --without-coroutine link=static
threading=multi runtime-link=shared target-os=windows threadapi=win32
variant=release
With this, I have no failure and "...updated 15340 targets..." for 1.68.0.

Good luck,

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 00:02, Osman Zakir via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I post here which libraries failed, and then show the log file again, will I get more help that way?

I passed arguments "--prefix=C:/Boost" and "--build-dir=C:/Boost_Build", and I have no Boost directory right now even after the build completed.  And I had that same "failed updating 44 targets" error again too.  But I do have .lib files for the following libraries in the stage/lib directory in C:/boost_1_69_0:

Atomic, Chrono, Container, Context, Contract, Coroutine, Date_time, Exception, Fiber, Filesystem, Graph, Iostreams, Locale, Math_c99 (including f and l ones), Math_tr1 (including f and l ones), Prg_exec_monitor, Program_options, Python37, Random, Regex, Serialization, Stacktrace_noop, System, Text_exec_monitor, Thread, Timer, Type_erasure, Unit_test_framework, Wave, Wserialization.

Your .\b2 command should be finished off by "install", then you'll get in C:\Boost (because that's what's your prefix a include, bin and a lib directory. I use the following b2 line:

b2 -a -d+2 -j2 --toolset=clang-win --abbreviate-paths --prefix=%PREFIX% --build-dir=c:\boost-build --without-python --without-mpi --without-graph_parallel --disable-filesystem2 -o%HOME%\clang_log.log "-sZLIB_SOURCE=%HOME%\zlib-1.2.8" "-sBZIP2_SOURCE=%HOME%\bzip2-1.0.6" variant=debug variant=release threading=multi link=static runtime-link=static architecture=x86 address-model=64 instruction-set=haswell install

I suggest that you, apart from the "install", add "--abbreviate-paths" as well, as some stuff might be failing due to excessively long path names [longer than 260 characters, which you on Win10 could fix at the OS-level].

There should be 3 stacktrace libs.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
The Stacktrace libs I have are:
"libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-d-x32-1_69.lib", "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-d-x64-1_69.lib", "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-x32-1_69.lib", and "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-x64-1_69.lib"

Should I have two more of the Stacktrace libs, or is this fine?  As I said in my previous message, the first error actually comes from Boost.Stacktrace and it says: "error: no member named 'GetModuleFileNameA' in namespace 'boost::winapi'; did you mean simply 'GetModuleFileNameA'?".

I also still need help on this issue I opened in the Boost.Asio GitHub: https://github.com/boostorg/asio/issues/184 .

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
You need something like libboost_stacktrace_windbg_cached-vc141-mt-sgd-1_65_1.lib and libboost_stacktrace_windbg-vc141-mt-sgd-1_65_1.lib [but then for 1.69 of course and the release builds as well].

Whether that is relevant to you is for you to decide. FYI, I was able to build those libs with clang-cl.

degski

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 15:00, Osman Zakir <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Stacktrace libs I have are:
"libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-d-x32-1_69.lib", "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-d-x64-1_69.lib", "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-x32-1_69.lib", and "libboost_stacktrace_noop-clangw8-mt-x64-1_69.lib"

Should I have two more of the Stacktrace libs, or is this fine?  As I said in my previous message, the first error actually comes from Boost.Stacktrace and it says: "error: no member named 'GetModuleFileNameA' in namespace 'boost::winapi'; did you mean simply 'GetModuleFileNameA'?".

I also still need help on this issue I opened in the Boost.Asio GitHub: https://github.com/boostorg/asio/issues/184 .
As the title says, my server application doesn&#39;t bind to any ports on any IP address other than my computer&#39;s internal IP addresses (the localhost and 192.168.x.x ones). The application is ...

--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
Okay, so what commands did you use when building, then?  When it also built Stacktrace.  And could you also try with version 1.69.0 and let me know how that turns out?

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 15:37, degski <[hidden email]> wrote:
You need something like libboost_stacktrace_windbg_cached-vc141-mt-sgd-1_65_1.lib and libboost_stacktrace_windbg-vc141-mt-sgd-1_65_1.lib [but then for 1.69 of course and the release builds as well].

Whether that is relevant to you is for you to decide. FYI, I was able to build those libs with clang-cl.

degski

My guess is that the _noop_ versions do nothing [a no op(eration)], but are just stub-libs to satisfy your linker.

degski

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 16:41, Osman Zakir via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, so what commands did you use when building, then?  When it also built Stacktrace.  And could you also try with version 1.69.0 and let me know how that turns out?

I've already told you [how to do] that many weeks ago, there is nothing I can add. It's hard to debug your setup, what works for me, might not work for you. The problem is not the things you tell me, but the things you [not purposely] not tell me [the unknown unknowns]. Using MSVC [last time I tried], those 2 stacktrace libs didn't build either [they used to], with clang-cl they actually do. At some point you just have to do with what works and see whether things work better in the future. The [a] question is: "do you need those libs right now?" If not, why don't you get on with whatever you want to achieve and things might get resolved in the future. If something is blocking you, let's focus on that [in detail], as opposed to getting everything [broad-brush] perfect [without a direct use-case].

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
My project-config.jam file has quotes where needed, so that's not a problem.  That file isn't the problem, but probably the commands I'm running are.

I'll try to see if I can get it to work without Stacktrace.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 17:54, Osman Zakir via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll try to see if I can get it to work without Stacktrace.

If you don't [for the moment] need it, just exclude it: --without-stacktrace.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
I built it without the MPI and Stacktrace libraries, but still I have errors about Boost.Spirit.  This time it's about enums being able to be expressed with some object's underlying int value.  I'm going to just build it with MSVC for now and wait for the LLVM support to be completed.

I tried to use the attached configuration file when trying to build it with MSVC this time.  The output from b2 is in the boost-build.log file.  Note the fact that it's saying that "/permissive-" is an extra argument.  I was trying to turn on MSVC's standards-conformance mode.  How do I do this when building Boost using MSVC without getting this error?

boost-build.log (1K) Download Attachment
project-config.jam (942 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

Boost - Users mailing list
Adding to previous message: I called b2 like this, this time: ".\b2 --prefix=C:/Boost_msvc --build-dir=C:/Boost_Build_msvc -d+2 --build-type=complete --layout=versioned install > ./boost-build.log".

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

The output from b2 is in the boost-build.log file.  Note the fact that it's saying that "/permissive-" is an extra argument.  I was trying to turn on MSVC's standards-conformance mode.  How do I do this when building Boost using MSVC without getting this error?

b2 doesn't like the dash [-] at the end of permissive [it assumes it's the begin of another flag]. I'm just making this up here, but try to double-quote it. ""/permissive-"", maybe that works, I don't know. If not, you should write to the developer-list: [hidden email], as in that case, this needs a fix in the b2-code [as it seems you do it right], or maybe one of the resident gurus knows another way to get that to pass.

degski

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 10:00, degski <[hidden email]> wrote:
If not, you should write to the developer-list: [hidden email], as in that case ...

Don't forget to subscribe [to that list]!
[...]

I assume you are reading

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/permissive-standards-conformance?view=vs-2017

I too think that you will need to enclose in quotes to stop b2 assuming that the option is complete.

But for now I would stick at selecting a C++ version.  /std:c++14  perhaps, but 17 or latest if you are allowed.

You are in uncharted territory with /permissive-  option with Boost?

But it is clearly a buglet and should be fixable by the developer, so report it.

Paul

Re: I ran b2 with the -d+2 command and redirected the output to a file

I managed to build it with MSVC.  But none of the <cxxflags> arguments worked so I had to them all out of the configuration file.

I built it with the "--layout=versioned" setting, but when I tried to build Jinja2Cpp again by specifying -DBOOST_ROOT=C:/boost_msvc/include/boost-1_69 because the header files are inside the "boost" directory at that location (I think this is a weird installation directory path for Boost, though), CMake still couldn't find Boost.  I looked in FindBoost.cmake module before and saw that there's code in there for finding Boost version 1.69.0 as well, so I don't know why it's not working.

Jinja2Cpp has Boost in the submodules (the code is all on GitHub), but the version of Boost that they have is 1.64.  I wonder if that's why it can't find 1.69.  Could be that the version in the submodule is too old.

12