How do you redefine features for a variant?

How do you redefine features for a variant?

Daniel Einspanjer
I always want the /MT flag so I added
        <runtime-debugging>off
        <runtime-link>static
        <threading>multi
to my project requirements.  This caused my output directory to expand to
include those settings as subdirectories under debug.

I'd like to just change the debug and release variants to use those
features.  Can that be done?  I'd rather not have to extend them since then
I have to change the build system to default to the enxtended versions and
looking in the bin/msvc/debug for results just makes more sense to me than
bin/msvc/special_debug.

Thanks,

Daniel

Re: How do you redefine features for a variant?

Juergen Hunold
Hi Daniel !

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 00:02, Daniel Einspanjer wrote:
> I always want the /MT flag so I added
>         <runtime-debugging>off
>         <runtime-link>static
>         <threading>multi
> to my project requirements.  This caused my output directory to expand to
> include those settings as subdirectories under debug.
>
> I'd like to just change the debug and release variants to use those
> features.  Can that be done?

>From one of my Jamroots:

# rearrange default-features to shorten build paths
import feature ;
feature.set-default threading : multi ;

> I'd rather not have to extend them since then
> I have to change the build system to default to the enxtended versions and
> looking in the bin/msvc/debug for results just makes more sense to me than
> bin/msvc/special_debug.

This should work with all built-in features. Unless you try to remove NDEBUG
from release, of course...

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57  ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH

Re: How do you redefine features for a variant?

Daniel Einspanjer
I added the following to my Jamroot file:
# Rearrange default features to our specs
import feature ;
feature.set-default threading : multi ;
feature.set-default runtime-debugging : off ;
feature.set-default runtime-link : static ;
feature.set-default link : static ;

and if I execute a bjam -d2, I now see /MT in the cl options, but the build
path is bin/msvc/debug/runtime-debugging-off.
Any idea why that one feature is becoming part of the output path?

p.s. What is the proper name for that propagation of features to the output
path? I would probably be able to find out more information about
customizing it if I knew what to search for. :)

Daniel

news:[hidden email]...