How do I "run the configure tests"?

Boost - Users mailing list
Can't find anything about it in the docs.

"Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
the results" [1]

Thank you,

Chris

[1] From https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_65_1/boost/config/compiler/visualc.hpp

Re: How do I "run the configure tests"?

Boost - Users mailing list
On 7 April 2018 at 21:56, Chris Stankevitz via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't find anything about it in the docs.

"Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
the results" [1]

You must me using a newer version of VS than the (a somewhat) current version of VS at the time of release of Boost 1.XX.

The warning should be ignored (this is a known problem, formally correct, but generally harmless (until it's not ;-) )).

degski

On 8 April 2018 at 06:22, degski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7 April 2018 at 21:56, Chris Stankevitz via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't find anything about it in the docs.

"Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
the results" [1]

Addendum: you should read the warning as something like: "This version of boost was released before the version of VS you are using was released". In Boost 1.66, the warning is slightly clearer, but still pops up. With the current update schedule of VS2017, this warning will keep on popping up almost always (as Boost *will* be out of date almost continuously, it's unavoidable).

degski

Re: How do I "run the configure tests"?

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:22 AM, degski via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
>> the results" [1]
>
> The warning should be ignored

If anyone knows how to "run the configure tests" please let me know.
I suspect/hope that they will show me what compiler and toolset
options are available.

Chris

On 4/9/18 6:03 PM, Chris Stankevitz via Boost-users wrote:
> If anyone knows how to "run the configure tests" please let me know.
> I suspect/hope that they will show me what compiler and toolset
> options are available.

Here's what I do:

a) set current directory to boost/libs/config/test
b) invoke b2 --dumptests >b2.log
c) cat b2.log

This will show you all the config variable settings for the selected
compiler.  But it won't show you the compilers if found.

I hope this helps, though I doubt it will.

Robert Ramey

On 10/04/2018 02:03, Chris Stankevitz via Boost-users wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 5:22 AM, degski via Boost-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> "Unknown compiler version - please run the configure tests and report
>>> the results" [1]
>> The warning should be ignored
> If anyone knows how to "run the configure tests" please let me know.
> I suspect/hope that they will show me what compiler and toolset
> options are available.

See
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_66_0/libs/config/doc/html/index.html#boost_config.configuring_boost_for_your_platform.testing_the_boost_configuration

and

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_66_0/libs/config/doc/html/index.html#boost_config.configuring_boost_for_your_platform.using_the_configure_script

But in any case, updates for the latest msvc versions are already
available with more due in 1.67 very soon.

John.

---
http://www.avg.com