[Histogram] Status of the review schedule

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Histogram] Status of the review schedule

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi,

Following some discussion in January this year, Hans Dembinski's
Histogram library was scheduled for review in March.

AFAICT, no review happened.

What is the current status of the proposal?

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Histogram] Status of the review schedule

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear Mateusz,

> On 10. Jul 2018, at 19:25, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Following some discussion in January this year, Hans Dembinski's
> Histogram library was scheduled for review in March.
>
> AFAICT, no review happened.
>
> What is the current status of the proposal?

thank you for asking about the status.

Short answer:
The originally scheduled review did not happen, because my review manager dropped out at the last minute. I was not able to find a new review manager quickly, so I decided to work on the library again before rallying up support for a review.

This work is now completed, and I kindly ask the list for support. I need a review manager for histogram.

Github: https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram <https://github.com/HDembinski/histogram>
Docs: http://hdembinski.github.io/histogram/doc/html/ <http://hdembinski.github.io/histogram/doc/html/>
Test coverage is 98 %
Benchmarks have been done, the library is very competitive in terms of performance, in addition to being more user-friendly and customisable than the competitors.

Long answer with additional info:
I went into development again, because one pre-review suggestion was to improve STL compatibility, which turned out to be a very important comment that let me rethink some interface design choices. This work is now completed. You can now do things like this:

auto h = make_static_histogram(…); // make 3d histogram
std::vector<std::tuple<int, double, char>> data_3d = { … }; // tuple contains heterogenous data
std::for_each(data_3d.begin(), data_3d.end(), h); // fill histogram with data tuples

// compute sum of all bin entries
auto bin_sum = std::accumulate(h.begin(), h.end(), h::element_type(0));

Best regards,
Hans


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Histogram] Status of the review schedule

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11 July 2018 at 11:19, Hans Dembinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10. Jul 2018, at 19:25, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Following some discussion in January this year, Hans Dembinski's
>> Histogram library was scheduled for review in March.
>>
>> AFAICT, no review happened.
>>
>> What is the current status of the proposal?
>
>
> thank you for asking about the status.
>
> Short answer:
> The originally scheduled review did not happen, because my review manager
> dropped out at the last minute. I was not able to find a new review manager
> quickly, so I decided to work on the library again before rallying up
> support for a review.

Hans, if it works for you, I am willing to volunteer and propose
myself as the review manager.

I have to warn you, I not extensively experienced as a review manager,
having one review under my sleeve - it was the GIL IOv2 review years ago.

However, assuming
- you are not being able to find any better candidate
- I can count on the community to watch my hands and point out any
issues on any side
- we can schedule review after the summer time, some time in September
then I am ready to do it.

Your call, please.

> This work is now completed, and I kindly ask the list for support. I need a
> review manager for histogram.

This sounds very good.

I certainly will to crunch it through myself preparing for the review.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Histogram] Status of the review schedule

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear Mateusz,

> On 11. Jul 2018, at 13:51, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hans, if it works for you, I am willing to volunteer and propose
> myself as the review manager.

awesome, thank you! Of course, I would be happy to take your offer and I have no worries about your qualification.

We can wait a few days in case someone else wants to fill the role, but I would guess that the list is happy if you take on the responsibility.

In case nobody steps forward, I will contact you privately so that we can agree on a a 10 day period in the second half of September, 17th onwards would work fine with me. Then I would contact the review wizards.

> I certainly will to crunch it through myself preparing for the review.

Cool, let me know if the documentation is unclear.

Best regards,
Hans

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Histogram] Status of the review schedule

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11 July 2018 at 13:26, Hans Dembinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 11. Jul 2018, at 13:51, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hans, if it works for you, I am willing to volunteer and propose
>> myself as the review manager.
>
> awesome, thank you! Of course, I would be happy to take your offer and I have
> no worries about your qualification.
>
> We can wait a few days in case someone else wants to fill the role,
> but I would guess that the list is happy if you take on the responsibility.

Sure.

> In case nobody steps forward, I will contact you privately so that we can agree on
> a a 10 day period in the second half of September, 17th onwards would work fine
> with me. Then I would contact the review wizards.

September is a good choice indeed.
Feel free to contact me via mateusz (at) loskot (dot) net,
I usually hangout on #boost channel at cpplang.slack.com, if you need/prefer.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost