Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Boost community,

we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an invite.

We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with ideas
of projects and proposals for this Summer.

Best regards,
David

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
I'm in

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 18:23 David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Boost community,
>
> we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an
> invite.
>
> We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with ideas
> of projects and proposals for this Summer.
>
> Best regards,
> David

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
I am in too. Hope this is not too late!

Am So., 23. Feb. 2020 um 00:31 Uhr schrieb Damian Vicino via Boost <
[hidden email]>:

> I'm in
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 18:23 David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boost community,
> >
> > we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> > wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an
> > invite.
> >
> > We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with
> ideas
> > of projects and proposals for this Summer.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > David

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
 > Obviously, a mentor comes with
> ideas of projects and proposals for this Summer.
Thanks for organizing this.

When good proposals come in (as they are in my case),where and when do we post them for the Boost list?
As mentioned, I'm in as a mentor for at least 1,possibly 2 Boost.Multiprecision projects (I'm 3-timeprevious mentor from years gone past).

Anyway... Sorry if this is off-topic.
Kind regards, Chris

[hidden email]>:

> I'm in
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 18:23 David Bellot via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Boost community,
> >
> > we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> > wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an
> > invite.
> >
> > We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with
> ideas
> > of projects and proposals for this Summer.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > David

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 11:14, Christopher Kormanyos via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > Obviously, a mentor comes with
> > ideas of projects and proposals for this Summer.
> Thanks for organizing this.
>
> When good proposals come in (as they are in my case),where and when do we post them for the Boost list?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only forma; requirement is to submit to Google
https://www.boost.org/community/gsoc.html
and the timeline is on
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/

On 2/22/20 3:22 PM, David Bellot via Boost wrote:

> Hi Boost community,
>
> we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an invite.
>
> We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with ideas
> of projects and proposals for this Summer.
>
> Best regards,
> David

Hmmmm - mentors get paid?  This is the first time I heard of this.  I
did it a couple of years ago and didn't get paid.  I did get invited to
an "unconference" at google.  It was kind of interesting to see the
google campus.  And I was very impressed with the quality of free food
available seemingly on demand.  I couldn't help but wonder if google
employees are overweight.

Also - I was under the impression that ideas for projects and proposals
came not from mentors but from applicants and that this was the basis
for accepting/rejecting proposals.

Just curious about this.

Robert Ramey

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 12:37 AM Robert Ramey via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm - mentors get paid?  This is the first time I heard of this.  I
> did it a couple of years ago and didn't get paid.

Google pays 500USD per project[1]. They can do whatever they want with it
either keep it for the org or give it to mentor. I think admin decides what
to do with money.

[1]:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#do_organizations_receive_any_money_for_participating_in_gsoc

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 20:07, Robert Ramey via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also - I was under the impression that ideas for projects and proposals
> came not from mentors but from applicants and that this was the basis
> for accepting/rejecting proposals.

You want to offer initial ideas in scope of your interest as a maintainer.
You don't want to overestimate capacity of students.

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

Hi Robert,

El lun., 23 mar. 2020 a las 15:07, Robert Ramey via Boost (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> On 2/22/20 3:22 PM, David Bellot via Boost wrote:
> > Hi Boost community,
> >
> > we are recruiting the mentors for the Google Summer of Code 2020. If you
> > wish to be a mentor, please contact me directly and I'll send you an
> invite.
> >
> > We need at least 10 mentors this year. Obviously, a mentor comes with
> ideas
> > of projects and proposals for this Summer.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > David
>
> Hmmmm - mentors get paid?  This is the first time I heard of this.  I
> did it a couple of years ago and didn't get paid.  I did get invited to
> an "unconference" at google.  It was kind of interesting to see the
> google campus.  And I was very impressed with the quality of free food
> available seemingly on demand.  I couldn't help but wonder if google
> employees are overweight.

I think the original mail subject was misleading, and I also understand (as
English as a second language speaker, how it could get wrong). The email
intention was calling for volunteers to mentor, there is hire involved, not
even a salary.
Last few years there was some money involved, but it was never offered
upfront, it was decided after the GSOC was done.GSOC gives some money to
the org for each successful student and Boost decided to first pay for the
2 member that do the trip to the summit and distribute the excess between
the other mentors to cover any expenses incurred. It was even distributed
in different ways in different years, I remember at least once was
distributed equally per mentor, another year was distributed equally per
project mentored (the difference is in those whose co-mentor or mentor more
than 1 project). I wouldn't call it getting paid, more like an expense
report with no need to present the tickets.

> Also - I was under the impression that ideas for projects and proposals
> came not from mentors but from applicants and that this was the basis
> for accepting/rejecting proposals.

Proposals still come from students, but each potential mentor posts some
examples of proposals so students got a starting point to work on.
I never saw someone posting a copy/paste proposal from what's on the
example, but if it ever happens, it will never passes. This was always that
way. The reason is that Google asks for example proposal to be posted
publicly before accepting the Org each year.

> Just curious about this.
>
> Robert Ramey

Re: Hiring mentors for Google Summer of Code 2020

> Hmmis thmm - mentors get paid?  This is the first time I heard of this.

No they're not. Once again, I'm not using the right English word. You
guessed it, I'm not a native speaker and my language shares so many words
with English but with sometimes a subtle difference in the meaning. :-D

Anyway, last year, we ended up with some money that has been shared among
mentors. But it's unusual, and certainly not the rule. Sometimes it
happens. Most of the time not. I mentored since 2013 and I think I received
money once or twice, maybe. But for sure, I had fun doing it

By the way, do you want to participate as a mentor this year?