Quantcast

Help with Boost Serialization library!

Boost - Users mailing list

Hi Boost Users,

I need the Boost Serialization Library in order to use a MATLAB make file. The make file is looking for a static library file named either boost_serialization.lib or libboost_serialization.lib. However, when I built the serialization library, I got a lot of object files and rsp files rather than a .lib file. Do you know how to create the .lib file? I am not sure if it matters, but I am using a Windows computer.

When you build the boost libraries, is there a way to generate .lib files for them?

Below, I have documented the steps I took to build the library. Please take a glance at it and let me know if I missed something that will allow me to obtain the .lib file.

  1. Download and unzip the boost folder

http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_63_0.html

  1. Look inside folder and make sure you find bootstrap.bat

  1. Open the Visual Studio Developer Command Prompt and navigate to the boost folder

  1. Type bootstrap into the command line and hit enter

  1. After it finishes bootstrapping, type in .\b2 --with-serialization and hit enter. The serialization library will be built. I still have not figured out how to generate the .lib file.

Tina Alam

IT Flex – Software Engineer

Re: Help with Boost Serialization library!

Boost - Users mailing list
Tina,

try to use:

.\b2 link=static --with-serialization

depending on what you're trying to do, you may in addition want to consider runtime-link=static

You can find interesting info (especially table 3.2) at:
http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/invocation.html

stathis

On 27/04/2017 19:56, Alam, Tina via Boost-users wrote:

> Hi Boost Users,
>
> I need the Boost Serialization Library in order to use a MATLAB make file. The make file is looking
> for a static library file named either boost_serialization.lib or libboost_serialization.lib.
> However, when I built the serialization library, I got a lot of object files and rsp files rather
> than a .lib file. Do you know how to create the .lib file? I am not sure if it matters, but I am
> using a Windows computer.
>
> When you build the boost libraries, is there a way to generate .lib files for them?
>
> Below, I have documented the steps I took to build the library. Please take a glance at it and let
> me know if I missed something that will allow me to obtain the .lib file.
>
>  1. Download and unzip the boost folder
>
> http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_63_0.html
>
>  2. Look inside folder and make sure you find *bootstrap.bat*
>
>  3. Open the Visual Studio Developer Command Prompt and navigate to the boost folder
>
>  4. Type *bootstrap* into the command line and hit enter
>
>  5. After it finishes bootstrapping, type in *.\b2 --with-serialization* and hit enter. The
>     serialization library will be built. I still have not figured out how to generate the .lib file.
>
> Tina Alam
>
> IT Flex – Software Engineer

Re: Help with Boost Serialization library!

Hi Tina,

When you build the boost libraries, is there a way to generate .lib files for them?

Below, I have documented the steps I took to build the library. Please take a glance at it and let me know if I missed something that will allow me to obtain the .lib file.

I cannot see your pictures („A non-text attachment was scrubbed...“), so I can only guess what goes wrong. My way building boost is (on Windows with VC++ 2015)

cd c:\boost_1_64_0

.\bootstrap

.\b2  --without-mpi --without-python --build-type=complete --reconfigure msvc stage

This generates library files, for example

libboost_serialization-vc140-mt-1_64.lib

in the stage subdirectory of my boost root directory, here

c:\boost_1_64_0\stage

Freundliche Grüße * Best regards * Met vriendelijke groeten * Meilleures salutations

Holger Gerth

EB-Soft Gesellschaft fuer elektronische Beschriftungs-Software mbH
Neckargartacher Str. 114, 74080 Heilbronn, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)7131 / 9466-0 Email: [hidden email]
Fax: +49 (0)7131 / 1099-0 Homepage: www.ebsoft.de

Amtsgericht-Registergericht-Stuttgart HRB 102882
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Michael Ehring, Helmut Sigler