Help - my disk is full! (of bin.v2 stuff)

Help - my disk is full! (of bin.v2 stuff)

Boost - Dev mailing list
I note with surprise (and alarm) that my Boost-stuff disk partition is nearly full!

Closer inspection reveals that I have a bin.v2 folder of over 50 GB.

Obviously, I need to delete something.

What are the implications of deleting things?

What is the best option?

Should I simply delete the whole folder bin.v2 (I have, in desperation, gone nuclear some time ago)

or just bin/v2/libs

or ?

Expert advice welcome.

Thanks

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: Help - my disk is full! (of bin.v2 stuff)

Boost - Dev mailing list
AMDG

On 11/21/2018 08:26 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:

> I note with surprise (and alarm) that my Boost-stuff disk partition is nearly full!
>
> Closer inspection reveals that I have a bin.v2 folder of over 50 GB.
>
> Obviously, I need to delete something.
>
> What are the implications of deleting things?
>
> What is the best option?
>
> Should I simply delete the whole folder bin.v2 (I have, in desperation, gone nuclear some time ago)

That's what I do.  Anything you actually need will
be rebuilt on demand.

> or just bin/v2/libs

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

On 11/21/2018 9:35 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 11/21/2018 08:26 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:
>> I note with surprise (and alarm) that my Boost-stuff disk partition is nearly full!
>>
>> Closer inspection reveals that I have a bin.v2 folder of over 50 GB.
>>
>> Obviously, I need to delete something.
>>
>> What are the implications of deleting things?
>>
>> What is the best option?
>>
>> Should I simply delete the whole folder bin.v2 (I have, in desperation, gone nuclear some time ago)
>>

> That's what I do.  Anything you actually need will
> be rebuilt on demand.

I do the same.

--Robert

>> or just bin/v2/libs
>>

> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Re: Help - my disk is full! (of bin.v2 stuff)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 6:26 PM Paul A. Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I note with surprise (and alarm) that my Boost-stuff disk partition is nearly full!
>
> Closer inspection reveals that I have a bin.v2 folder of over 50 GB.
>
> Obviously, I need to delete something.
>
> What are the implications of deleting things?
>
> What is the best option?
>
> Should I simply delete the whole folder bin.v2 (I have, in desperation, gone nuclear some time ago)
>
> or just bin/v2/libs
>
> or ?
>
> Expert advice welcome.

Deleting bin.v2 is ok, but I usually delete bin.v2/libs as this is
where the actual build artifacts are stored. The rest is the cached
stuff that doesn't take much space and which typically there's no
reason to re-generate.

Re: Help - my disk is full! (of bin.v2 stuff)

Boost - Dev mailing list wrote
> I note with surprise (and alarm) that my Boost-stuff disk partition is
> nearly full!
>
> Closer inspection reveals that I have a bin.v2 folder of over 50 GB.
>
> Should I simply delete the whole folder bin.v2 (I have, in desperation,
> gone nuclear some time ago)
>
> or just bin/v2/libs

I wipe out bin.v2 quite frequently.
In fact, I wipe out all non-versioned files every few days
when start-over the whole super-project [1] switching
between master and develop for testing GIL or Geometry.
This deletes bin.v2 etc. too.

[1]
https://github.com/mloskot/wsl-config/blob/master/wsl/scripts/boost-superproject-start-over.sh

Mateusz Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net