Header Inclusion practices

12

Re: Header Inclusion practices

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 4/12/17 11:40 PM, Olaf van der Spek via Boost wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hmmm, I'm not seeing this.  Actually my motivation is to not avoid breaking
>> things when files are moved.  When the library is moved the tests still
>> build and run without having to change switches, environmental variables
>> etc.
>
> If you move the including file into a sub directory or parent
> directory, it'll know longer be able to do the relative include,
> unless you move the entire library / tree.

Right - which is what I recommend. I see the library as something which
should be handled as unit.  I would like to see users

a) move the library around as a package.
b) easily run tests and examples when they first download the library.
c) easily re-run tests and examples anytime their environment changes -
new compiler version, etc.
d) easily remove the library from their system should it fail to address
their needs.
e) I've been very disappointed that users of libraries don't run the
test suite of the libraries they use. I don't think this is currently as
easy as it should be. I would hope to see this change.
f) the whole exercise of getting all the libraries in the master branch
to a syncronized "releasable" state is a huge amount of work which is of
little value - at least to me.

In any case, you've all convinced me that my way of doing things isn't
going to be attractive for most people so we don't have discuss in
anymore.  There's no problem for me to just continue to sync up with the
most recently release master from time to time when it is convenient for
me to do so.

I would like to be able to browse library documentation directly on my
own machine rather than going through boost.org as I do now.

Robert Ramey

Re: Header Inclusion practices

On 13 April 2017 at 13:41, Adam Majer via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I don't know, if git is such "notoriously obscure and alien" then how
> about Boost.Build ? :)

Even the experts here seem to struggle from time to time.

degski
--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798

12