Having fun with Quickbook translations!

Matias Capeletto
Hi,

This morning John pointed me a css hacked by Rene Rivera that lets us
"see" a normal html page as quickbook sources. I think it is a
brilliant idea.
I have hacked the missing parts to carry this idea to a neat end.
Please go to:
http://tinyurl.com/3yukos

Use a decent browser like firefox 2. (and make sure the page is not
cached in your pc)
Go in the menu to "View" --> "Page Style" --> "Quickbook Source"

Magic!
:)

You can browse the document because I have not hidden the navigation machinery.
Now you guys have to find a way to copy the result, ctrl-c in firefox
does not work... I do not care. If we have to hack firefox sources,
lets do it ;)

Two cases:

(A) Docbook to quickbook translation
This will be a piece of cake. We convert the boostbook xml into html
using xslt and then see it as quickbook sources with our favourite
browser.

(B) Not docbook based Html translations
We can be made it in two ways:

1) Use a version of this css that lets as see html as quickbook. You
can see the results with a bind page here:
http://tinyurl.com/2jh25t

The results are not so good as before, no navigation support, no
admonitions rendering...

2) A better option is to use a program to convert html docs to docbook
docs. There are plenty of these programs in the web, we must find the
best one for us. And we are back to case (A)!

My next step is to write a "conversion section" to include in quickbook docs.

Thanks you Rene! An amazing idea :)

Hope you like it
Best regards
Matias

Re: Having fun with Quickbook translations!

Rene Rivera-2
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> Now you guys have to find a way to copy the result, ctrl-c in firefox
> does not work... I do not care. If we have to hack firefox sources,
> lets do it ;)

As I mentioned in the original post, Opera allows to copy+paste the
visible resulting text.

> Thanks you Rene! An amazing idea :)

Welcome... Hopefully some day I'll get around to implementing the CSS
syntax based XML translation language I've had in the back of my head
which would make this an easy task.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: Having fun with Quickbook translations!

John Maddock
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This morning John pointed me a css hacked by Rene Rivera that lets us
> "see" a normal html page as quickbook sources. I think it is a
> brilliant idea.
> I have hacked the missing parts to carry this idea to a neat end.
> Please go to:
> http://tinyurl.com/3yukos
>
> Use a decent browser like firefox 2. (and make sure the page is not
> cached in your pc)
> Go in the menu to "View" --> "Page Style" --> "Quickbook Source"
>
> Magic!
> :)
>
> You can browse the document because I have not hidden the navigation
> machinery.
> Now you guys have to find a way to copy the result, ctrl-c in firefox
> does not work... I do not care. If we have to hack firefox sources,
> lets do it ;)
>
> Two cases:
>
> (A) Docbook to quickbook translation
> This will be a piece of cake. We convert the boostbook xml into html
> using xslt and then see it as quickbook sources with our favourite
> browser.
If you use Opera then you can cut and paste the quickbook markup directly
from the browser... however, I notice that code blocks come out as [pre
... ] blocks which is wrong, but easy to fix afterwards.

Also Opera has quite a few issues rendering your current browser scheme: see
screenshot attached for an example (BTW Opera ids a free download these
days, so it's easy enough for folks to test this).

HTH, John.

web-shot4.png (36K) Download Attachment

On 6/22/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Matias Capeletto wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> If you use Opera then you can cut and paste the quickbook markup directly
> from the browser... however, I notice that code blocks come out as [pre
> ... ] blocks which is wrong, but easy to fix afterwards.

Only in the html to quickbook version. If you use the "Quickbook
Source" style in a docbook based html they are rendered like `` ....
``
I will need to change quickbook to output a different tag (like
<screen>) for preformatted output. In the current version it is
impossible to tell if a block is a code or a [pre...]. (Joel, Are you
there?)

> Also Opera has quite a few issues rendering your current browser scheme: see
> screenshot attached for an example (BTW Opera ids a free download these
> days, so it's easy enough for folks to test this).

I am downloading Opera rigth now. Future stuff will be tested there
before posting it to the list.

John, The doc_test dir in the sandbox is starting to look a bit
clutter by different version of things?
Can I move things around a bit to order it?
(What do you think about only generating XHTML in the html dir?)

Matias Capeletto wrote:
> John, The doc_test dir in the sandbox is starting to look a bit
> clutter by different version of things?
> Can I move things around a bit to order it?
> (What do you think about only generating XHTML in the html dir?)

Yes, please do, it's the sandbox, it's there for playing in :-)

I'm not sure what to say about only generating xhtml - are there any
downsides - Rene would know?

John.

Re: Having fun with Quickbook translations!

Matias Capeletto
On 6/22/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Matias Capeletto wrote:
> > John, The doc_test dir in the sandbox is starting to look a bit
> > clutter by different version of things?
> > Can I move things around a bit to order it?
> > (What do you think about only generating XHTML in the html dir?)
>
> Yes, please do, it's the sandbox, it's there for playing in :-)

Great!

> I'm not sure what to say about only generating xhtml - are there any
> downsides - Rene would know?

I fail to see any downsides and see various drawbacks of having two
possible outputs.

Best regards
Matias

Re: Having fun with Quickbook translations!

Joel de Guzman-2
Matias Capeletto wrote:

> On 6/22/07, John Maddock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Matias Capeletto wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> If you use Opera then you can cut and paste the quickbook markup directly
>> from the browser... however, I notice that code blocks come out as [pre
>> ... ] blocks which is wrong, but easy to fix afterwards.
>
> Only in the html to quickbook version. If you use the "Quickbook
> Source" style in a docbook based html they are rendered like `` ....
> ``
> I will need to change quickbook to output a different tag (like
> <screen>) for preformatted output. In the current version it is
> impossible to tell if a block is a code or a [pre...]. (Joel, Are you
> there?)

Yep. I think it's a good idea.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com