Guidelines on copyright notice maintenance

Guidelines on copyright notice maintenance

The license guidelines [1] include instructions on
"How should Boost programmers apply the license to source and header files?"

Unless I've missed it, there seem to be lack of guidelines about
how to maintain (existing) copyright notices.

I don't aim to resurrect the old lengthy thread from Sept 2015 on
validity of copyright notices. In that thread, however,
some guidelines or conventions were expressed:

[2] "because copyright is only claimed for changes meeting
      a certain threshold of originality"
[3] "It's up to those people to add a line if they so decide.
      Copyright only covers expressions of creativity."

Those suggests, there seem to be common understanding on if/how/when
it is recommended or even necessary to update copyright notice
in a source file of a Boost library.

Wouldn't it be helpful to captured those as guidelines in the BSL FAQ.
Would there be someone knowledgeable about it and willing to
make the update or at least explain it here?
(I will make it into HTML and PR to boostorg/website)

I understand David and Beman, primary authors of the page [1],
may no longer be available.

[1] https://www.boost.org/users/license.html
[2] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225565.php
[3] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225570.php

Re: Guidelines on copyright notice maintenance

Boost - Dev mailing list

Yes.

> Would there be someone knowledgeable about it and willing to
> make the update or at least explain it here?
> (I will make it into HTML and PR to boostorg/website)
>
> I understand David and Beman, primary authors of the page [1],
> may no longer be available.
>
> [1] https://www.boost.org/users/license.html
> [2] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225565.php
> [3] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/09/225570.php

I think the above is about right.  (as an example, a version 2 library needs a new claim).
And someone taking over maintenance of a library needs to add a new claimant.

Also don't ever remove previous copyright claims - just add new claims  and/or claimants.  A reason for doing this is that it would
remove the earliest claim date, something that may establish a 'prior art' date that might prevent anyone patenting.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: Guidelines on copyright notice maintenance

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 at 09:52, Paul A. Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

FYI, here is the proposed update:

https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/367