Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear all,

A couple of weeks ago I wrote an email inquiring about how to approach
applying to contribute to your project through the GSoC opportunity. I
did not seem to get any responses, is this the right place to ask? If
not, could you please point me to a contact person that I can talk to? I
am very interesting in contributing to this project and would really
like to know how I can help. I am extremely familiar with the entirety
of the C++20 standard, besides some final template (and concepts)
features that I am still learning about, and would love the challenge of
using those skills in the context of contributing to the Boost
libraries. Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Kind regards,

Radu Cosma

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 16:40, Radu Cosma via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I wrote an email inquiring about how to approach
> applying to contribute to your project through the GSoC opportunity. I
> did not seem to get any responses, is this the right place to ask?

Yes, but only after you've searched and read the GSoC guidelines,
Boost GSoC materials on the boost.org and Wiki (->GitHub).

It [1] does not seem like you have searched and read any of them
[1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost//2021/01/250755.php

> If not, could you please point me to a contact person that I can talk to?

It's just the usual: search the Web search first, then ask (here).

> I am very interesting in contributing to this project and would really
> like to know how I can help.

Read the Boost FAQ.

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
Adding to that, I recommend all applicants

   - to read the general GSoC student guidelines
   <https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/> and advices
   <https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2020/02/248236.php>
   - to go through the boost project descriptions in the boostorg wiki
   <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020#suggested-gsoc-project-proposals>

   - to look into the previous GSoC projects such as GSoC20-uBlas
   <https://github.com/BoostGSoC20/ublas/wiki>, GSoC19-uBlas
   <https://github.com/BoostGSoC19/tensor/wiki>
   - to visit a prior GSoC gitter channel such as GSoC19-uBlas-Channel
   <https://gitter.im/BoostGSoC19/ublas> to understand the level of
   expertise required
   - to visit a gitter channel of a boost library e.g.
   https://gitter.im/boostorg/gil, https://gitter.im/boostorg/ublas, ...

Am Di., 16. Feb. 2021 um 16:48 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 16:40, Radu Cosma via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago I wrote an email inquiring about how to approach
> > applying to contribute to your project through the GSoC opportunity. I
> > did not seem to get any responses, is this the right place to ask?
>
> Yes, but only after you've searched and read the GSoC guidelines,
> Boost GSoC materials on the boost.org and Wiki (->GitHub).
>
> It [1] does not seem like you have searched and read any of them
> [1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost//2021/01/250755.php
>
> > If not, could you please point me to a contact person that I can talk to?
>
> It's just the usual: search the Web search first, then ask (here).
>
> > I am very interesting in contributing to this project and would really
> > like to know how I can help.
>
> Read the Boost FAQ.
>
> Best regards,

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
Em ter., 23 de fev. de 2021 às 04:48, Cem Bassoy via Boost
<[hidden email]> escreveu:
>    - to go through the boost project descriptions in the boostorg wiki
>    <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020#suggested-gsoc-project-proposals>

How can I edit this page? I'll have time to mentor this year again and
I'd like to throw a few ideas there before students apply.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 11:03, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Em ter., 23 de fev. de 2021 às 04:48, Cem Bassoy via Boost
> <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> >    - to go through the boost project descriptions in the boostorg wiki
> >    <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020#suggested-gsoc-project-proposals>
>
> How can I edit this page? I'll have time to mentor this year again and
> I'd like to throw a few ideas there before students apply.

I think you can request access by opening an admin issue
https://github.com/boostorg/admin/issues

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
But have even applied to GSoC this year? I see no news or update regarding
that...

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 6:08 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 11:03, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Em ter., 23 de fev. de 2021 às 04:48, Cem Bassoy via Boost
> > <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> > >    - to go through the boost project descriptions in the boostorg wiki
> > >    <
> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code%3A-2020#suggested-gsoc-project-proposals
> >

> > How can I edit this page? I'll have time to mentor this year again and
> > I'd like to throw a few ideas there before students apply.
>
> I think you can request access by opening an admin issue
> https://github.com/boostorg/admin/issues
>
> Best regards,

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari, https://lpranam.github.io/

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
> see no news or update regarding

The deadline was 19 Feb. I personally
Did lose track of this activity this year.

Was there any activity for org apply?

Sent from my iPhone

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 14:44, Pranam Lashkari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But have even applied to GSoC this year? I see no news or update regarding that...

Yes, we have submitted and the 2021 Mentor Organizations will be
announced on March 9, 2021

Pranam, I've just invited you to the pool of up to 5
GSoC Organization Administrators for Boost.

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
 >  How can I edit this page?
In the same spirit and style as last year,I added a new page for 2021, with 1potential project. I hope everything isOK with that and I did not over-step mybounds. If not, we can correct that pageaccordingly.

https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2021
Last year the prospective projects weresimply added to the page.
> Yes, we have submitted and the 2021> Mentor Organizations

Wonderful. Thank you.
If we get in, I would like to mentorthe Multiprecision project listed on thepage.
Please note that this year's GSoC
has been reduced to 1/2 the timeof previous years.
Kind regards, Chris

    On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 4:15:52 PM GMT+1, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 14:44, Pranam Lashkari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But have even applied to GSoC this year? I see no news or update regarding that...

Yes, we have submitted and the 2021 Mentor Organizations will be
announced on March 9, 2021

Pranam, I've just invited you to the pool of up to 5
GSoC Organization Administrators for Boost.

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Boost - Dev mailing list
We really appreciate your efforts and thank you for stepping forward for
this :D. Everything looks good to me.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 12:38 AM Christopher Kormanyos <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > How can I edit this page?
>
> In the same spirit and style as last year,
> I added a new page for 2021, with 1
> potential project. I hope everything is
> OK with that and I did not over-step my
> bounds. If not, we can correct that page
> accordingly.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2021
>
> Last year the prospective projects were
> simply added to the page.
>
> > Yes, we have submitted and the 2021
> > Mentor Organizations
>
> Wonderful. Thank you.
>
> If we get in, I would like to mentor
> the Multiprecision project listed on the
> page.
>
> Please note that this year's GSoC
> has been reduced to 1/2 the time
> of previous years.
>
> Kind regards, Chris
>

> On Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 4:15:52 PM GMT+1, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 at 14:44, Pranam Lashkari <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > But have even applied to GSoC this year? I see no news or update
> regarding that...
>
> Yes, we have submitted and the 2021 Mentor Organizations will be
> announced on March 9, 2021
>
> Pranam, I've just invited you to the pool of up to 5
> GSoC Organization Administrators for Boost.
>

> Best regards,

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari, https://lpranam.github.io/

Re: Google Summer of Code follow-up

Em ter., 23 de fev. de 2021 às 09:38, Mateusz Loskot
<[hidden email]> escreveu:
> I think you can request access by opening an admin issue
> https://github.com/boostorg/admin/issues

Thanks for the info. I opened an issue there, but I had no answer. Is
there some boost admin reading this email that could take care of this
issue for me?