GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
I am a user of GMane in regard to Boost mailing lists and it appears
that GMane is no longer picking up Boost mailing list changes or
allowing users to respond to mailing list posts through the
corresponding GMane ng.

Does anyone know how to rectify this situation ?

I recall that Boost might have changed who was hosting the mailing lists
and I am wondering if this is the reason that GMane no longer works with
Boost mailing lists.

The GMane website appears to be in transition, and all links for
contacting anyone at GMane have been removed. I did try to contact Lars
Magne Ingebrigtsen, who has been running GMane, but I do not know if
this will produce any results.





_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 29/04/2017 07:20, Edward Diener wrote:
> I am a user of GMane in regard to Boost mailing lists and it appears
> that GMane is no longer picking up Boost mailing list changes or
> allowing users to respond to mailing list posts through the
> corresponding GMane ng.

The website has been broken (and not archiving new posts) for a long
time, but the news gateway is still working fine as far as I'm aware --
I'm using it both to see and to respond to this post.

(The delay in responding is not a gateway issue; I just don't read the
group in the weekend.)



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 4/28/17 12:20, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> I am a user of GMane in regard to Boost mailing lists and it appears
> that GMane is no longer picking up Boost mailing list changes or
> allowing users to respond to mailing list posts through the
> corresponding GMane ng.
>
> Does anyone know how to rectify this situation ?
>
> I recall that Boost might have changed who was hosting the mailing lists
> and I am wondering if this is the reason that GMane no longer works with
> Boost mailing lists.
>

The service we use for mass email broadcasts had blocked our usage as
spam (you know how those C++ Boost posts look like phishing). This was
resolved yesterday morning. I believe the outage was about 12-hours.
Unfortunately, our monitors didn't pick this up. We are implementing
additional checks.

The mail infrastructures has been switched for months. The last time I
checked GMane it was working. Granted ... I don't check it very of
often. Perhaps we can add an automated check for that.

It looks like we need to update the contact pages for infrastructure.

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting
ciere.com

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 1/05/2017 13:17, I wrote:

> On 29/04/2017 07:20, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I am a user of GMane in regard to Boost mailing lists and it appears
>> that GMane is no longer picking up Boost mailing list changes or
>> allowing users to respond to mailing list posts through the
>> corresponding GMane ng.
>
> The website has been broken (and not archiving new posts) for a long
> time, but the news gateway is still working fine as far as I'm aware --
> I'm using it both to see and to respond to this post.
>
> (The delay in responding is not a gateway issue; I just don't read the
> group in the weekend.)

Although now I'm not seeing anything newer than this message.  Not sure
if the group is just unusually quiet or if something's broken.



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost
> ...
> Although now I'm not seeing anything newer than this message.
> Not sure if the group is just unusually quiet or if something's broken.

I read this as "start a chain of messages where everyone replies to
show that the list is still working." Here's my contribution :)

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5/2/2017 11:56 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost
>> ...
>> Although now I'm not seeing anything newer than this message.
>> Not sure if the group is just unusually quiet or if something's broken.
>
> I read this as "start a chain of messages where everyone replies to
> show that the list is still working." Here's my contribution :)

I just now picked up 4 messages in the Boost announce mailing list in
GMane going back to 04/19. So either there is still some delay problems
with these mailing lists or GMane has just recently started to reflect
that mailing list again properly. My guess is the former.

I am not pointing the finger or criticizing anyone but we really need to
have the Boost mailing lists working properly, lest we discourage people
from participating. I do hope the problem that occurred with the mailing
lists has been fixed.



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5/2/17 22:41, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 5/2/2017 11:56 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost
>>> ...
>>> Although now I'm not seeing anything newer than this message.
>>> Not sure if the group is just unusually quiet or if something's broken.
>>
>> I read this as "start a chain of messages where everyone replies to
>> show that the list is still working." Here's my contribution :)
>
> I just now picked up 4 messages in the Boost announce mailing list in
> GMane going back to 04/19. So either there is still some delay problems
> with these mailing lists or GMane has just recently started to reflect
> that mailing list again properly. My guess is the former.
>
> I am not pointing the finger or criticizing anyone but we really need to
> have the Boost mailing lists working properly, lest we discourage people
> from participating. I do hope the problem that occurred with the mailing
> lists has been fixed.
>
>

As far as I can tell, only GMane is having issues. Do you have a reason
to think that the problem is larger than GMane?

We are happy to fix issues that might be in the Boost infrastructure but
I'm a little unsure about your logic.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting
ciere.com

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 3/05/2017 17:50, Michael Caisse wrote:
> As far as I can tell, only GMane is having issues. Do you have a reason
> to think that the problem is larger than GMane?
>
> We are happy to fix issues that might be in the Boost infrastructure but
> I'm a little unsure about your logic.

Given that GMane seems to be a bit in flux (going by the prior
announcements and the state of the website), and that evidently a number
of people prefer a newsgroup gateway rather than using the mailing list
directly (for whatever reason), perhaps Boost could consider setting up
a gateway of its own?  (Or adopting GMane's existing one.)



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5/2/17 23:06, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:

> On 3/05/2017 17:50, Michael Caisse wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, only GMane is having issues. Do you have a reason
>> to think that the problem is larger than GMane?
>>
>> We are happy to fix issues that might be in the Boost infrastructure but
>> I'm a little unsure about your logic.
>
> Given that GMane seems to be a bit in flux (going by the prior
> announcements and the state of the website), and that evidently a number
> of people prefer a newsgroup gateway rather than using the mailing list
> directly (for whatever reason), perhaps Boost could consider setting up
> a gateway of its own?  (Or adopting GMane's existing one.)
>
>

We are actually looking into this. We have made several upgrades to
other parts of the infrastructure that are currently in test. Hopefully
they will be live to the community soon.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting
ciere.com

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMane reflection of Boost mailing list messages

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On 5/3/2017 1:50 AM, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:

> On 5/2/17 22:41, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:
>> On 5/2/2017 11:56 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
>>> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost
>>>> ...
>>>> Although now I'm not seeing anything newer than this message.
>>>> Not sure if the group is just unusually quiet or if something's broken.
>>>
>>> I read this as "start a chain of messages where everyone replies to
>>> show that the list is still working." Here's my contribution :)
>>
>> I just now picked up 4 messages in the Boost announce mailing list in
>> GMane going back to 04/19. So either there is still some delay problems
>> with these mailing lists or GMane has just recently started to reflect
>> that mailing list again properly. My guess is the former.
>>
>> I am not pointing the finger or criticizing anyone but we really need to
>> have the Boost mailing lists working properly, lest we discourage people
>> from participating. I do hope the problem that occurred with the mailing
>> lists has been fixed.
>>
>>
>
> As far as I can tell, only GMane is having issues. Do you have a reason
> to think that the problem is larger than GMane?

My only reason was that GMane reflecting properly some of the Boost
mailing lists while not reflecting properly others seemed illogical. But
if you say that the problem is not the mailing lists themselves, and
that problem has been fixed, I believe you.

>
> We are happy to fix issues that might be in the Boost infrastructure but
> I'm a little unsure about your logic.
>



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost