Forcing boost to build zlib

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
Hello,

what is needed to force bjam to build zlib? Is the zlib.h enough?

Also is there a way to make bjam fail compiling if I set "NO_ZLIB=0" and
it does not find the zlib.h / source? It is really inconvenient that
bjam silently switches off zlib without any error or warning why zlib is
not being build. My commands are:

./bootstrap.sh --without-libraries=python
--prefix=/home/simon/code/cfs/release_mingw_openblas/cfsdeps/boost/install
--with-toolset=gcc --without-libraries=context
--without-libraries=coroutine target-os=windows architecture=x86
address-model=64 release

and

./b2 target-os=windows architecture=x86 address-model=64 release
--user-config=user-config.jam toolset=gcc-mingw -s
ZLIB_BINARY=\"/home/simon/code/cfs/release_mingw_openblas/lib64/MINGW_X86_64/libzlibstatic.a\"
-s ZLIB_INCLUDE=\"/home/simon/code/cfs/release_mingw_openblas/include\"
-s NO_ZLIB=0 threading=multi install

(this is cross compiling, but I have the same problem building for Linux)

Regards,
Simon



_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 12:38, Simon Michalke via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
what is needed to force bjam to build zlib? Is the zlib.h enough?

giving b2 the source [all of it] to zlib like "-sZLIB_SOURCE=%HOME%\zlib-1.2.8" does the trick for me.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list

Hi,

yes, I know that works and I got that working. But do I really need to link the source? Because bjam automatically uses the system header and static lib on Linux. This works just fine.

I just want to give bjam the header and static library manually.

Regards,
Simon

Am 12.01.19 um 15:45 schrieb degski via Boost-users:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 12:38, Simon Michalke via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
what is needed to force bjam to build zlib? Is the zlib.h enough?

giving b2 the source [all of it] to zlib like "-sZLIB_SOURCE=%HOME%\zlib-1.2.8" does the trick for me.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
On 12/01/2019 15:07, Simon Michalke via Boost-users wrote:
>
> yes, I know that works and I got that working. But do I really need to
> link the source? Because bjam automatically uses the system header and
> static lib on Linux. This works just fine.
>
> I just want to give bjam the header and static library manually.

I use

-sZLIB_BINARY=
-sZLIB_INCLUDE=
-sZLIB_LIBPATH=

as in
https://gitlab.com/codelibre/ome-cmake-superbuild/blob/master/packages/boost/build.cmake#L41 
and it works correctly for me.  I've never been a fan of Boost wanting
to try to build third-party libraries.


Regards,
Roger
_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 17:31, Roger Leigh via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've never been a fan of Boost wanting to try to build third-party libraries.
 
You think zlib (source) is not trusted, or you'd rather get it [zlib] from your OS distribution? This all makes no sense.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Users mailing list
Hello,

this works, thank you. However I do not have and do not need the
ZLIB_BINARY.

Regards,
Simon

Am 12.01.19 um 16:13 schrieb Roger Leigh via Boost-users:

> On 12/01/2019 15:07, Simon Michalke via Boost-users wrote:
>>
>> yes, I know that works and I got that working. But do I really need
>> to link the source? Because bjam automatically uses the system header
>> and static lib on Linux. This works just fine.
>>
>> I just want to give bjam the header and static library manually.
>
> I use
>
> -sZLIB_BINARY=
> -sZLIB_INCLUDE=
> -sZLIB_LIBPATH=
>
> as in
> https://gitlab.com/codelibre/ome-cmake-superbuild/blob/master/packages/boost/build.cmake#L41
> and it works correctly for me.  I've never been a fan of Boost wanting
> to try to build third-party libraries.
>
>
> Regards,
> Roger
> _______________________________________________
> Boost-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Forcing boost to build zlib

Boost - Users mailing list
If you use hunter to build your projects, including the boost package causes zlib, bzip2 and other dependencies to be built for your project automatically.



On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 17:55, Simon Michalke via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

this works, thank you. However I do not have and do not need the
ZLIB_BINARY.

Regards,
Simon

Am 12.01.19 um 16:13 schrieb Roger Leigh via Boost-users:
> On 12/01/2019 15:07, Simon Michalke via Boost-users wrote:
>>
>> yes, I know that works and I got that working. But do I really need
>> to link the source? Because bjam automatically uses the system header
>> and static lib on Linux. This works just fine.
>>
>> I just want to give bjam the header and static library manually.
>
> I use
>
> -sZLIB_BINARY=
> -sZLIB_INCLUDE=
> -sZLIB_LIBPATH=
>
> as in
> https://gitlab.com/codelibre/ome-cmake-superbuild/blob/master/packages/boost/build.cmake#L41
> and it works correctly for me.  I've never been a fan of Boost wanting
> to try to build third-party libraries.
>
>
> Regards,
> Roger
> _______________________________________________
> Boost-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users

_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users


--
Richard Hodges
office: +442032898513
home: +376841522
mobile: +376380212 (this will be *expensive* outside Andorra!)
skype: madmongo
facebook: hodges.r


_______________________________________________
Boost-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost-users