Quantcast

[Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Paul Fultz II
Hi,

I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:

http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>

Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Edward Diener-3
On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>
> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>
> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.

Is this branch 'boost' on which your changes have been made ? If not  on
which remote branch have these changes been made ?

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Edward Diener-3
On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>
> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>
> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.

Please provide a jamfile for creating the documentation locally.

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Paul Fultz II

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>>
>> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>>
>> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.
>
> Is this branch 'boost' on which your changes have been made ? If not  on which remote branch have these changes been made ?

The documentation is for the ‘master’ branch. And all those changes have been made on master. The ‘boost’ is what was setup for the review, and it hasn’t changed since then.

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Paul Fultz II

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 10:06 AM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>>
>> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>>
>> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.
>
> Please provide a jamfile for creating the documentation locally.

The commands needed to build the documentation locally is here:

http://fit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/doc/src/building.html#documentation

I will try to add the command to bjam. Although, I am not entirely familiar with adding custom commands to bjam.

On 11/8/2016 11:23 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:

>> On Nov 8, 2016, at 10:06 AM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>>>
>>> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.
>>
>> Please provide a jamfile for creating the documentation locally.
>
> The commands needed to build the documentation locally is here:
>
> http://fit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/doc/src/building.html#documentation

"How to build the documentation" is in the documentation. That strikes
me as strange. I suggest you also put 'how to build the documentation"
into something that does not need to be built, like a readme.md file.

> I will try to add the command to bjam. Although, I am not entirely familiar with adding custom commands to bjam.

If you are not going to supply the documentation as part of the library,
I believe you will need to use Boost Build to build the documentation if
Fit is accepted into Boost. Providing additional means of building the
docs is up to you.

On 11/8/2016 11:19 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:

>> On Nov 8, 2016, at 9:59 AM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/8/2016 8:45 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have made a lot of updates to the Fit library based on the changes suggested during the review earlier this year. I have also improved the documentation. I have expanded on the introductory materials and have add a lot more cross-referencing. The documentation can be found here:
>>>
>>> http://fit.readthedocs.io <http://fit.readthedocs.io/>
>>>
>>> Let me know of any feedback about the library either here on the mailing list or on Github issues.
>>
>> Is this branch 'boost' on which your changes have been made ? If not  on which remote branch have these changes been made ?
>
> The documentation is for the ‘master’ branch. And all those changes have been made on master. The ‘boost’ is what was setup for the review, and it hasn’t changed since then.

Understood. Thanks !

On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 14:20 -0500, Edward Diener wrote:

> On 11/8/2016 11:23 AM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
> >

> > > On Nov 8, 2016, at 10:06 AM, Edward Diener <[hidden email]
> > > om> wrote:

> > > Please provide a jamfile for creating the documentation locally.
> > The commands needed to build the documentation locally is here:
> >
> > http://fit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/doc/src/building.html#documenta
> > tion
> "How to build the documentation" is in the documentation. That
> strikes
> me as strange. I suggest you also put 'how to build the
> documentation"
> into something that does not need to be built, like a readme.md file.

It is in the readme as well, here:

https://github.com/pfultz2/Fit#documentation

> > I will try to add the command to bjam. Although, I am not entirely
> > familiar with adding custom commands to bjam.
> If you are not going to supply the documentation as part of the
> library,
> I believe you will need to use Boost Build to build the documentation
> if
> Fit is accepted into Boost. Providing additional means of building
> the
> docs is up to you.

Got it, its been updated on 'master', so Boost Build will build the
docs as well. I may add a 'doc' target on cmake to build the
documentationa as well. I believe thats what Boost.Hana does.

Paul

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Fletcher, John P
Paul

I have been checking out my old examples against the latest version of the FIT code.

It appears that examples like this which us .by have gone from the test file construct.cpp:

auto make = fit::construct<std::vector<int>>().by(fit::_1 * fit::_1);

This appears to be a removal of the by adaptor from construct.

Is there documentation of this and any other such changes?

Is there a new way to do the same thing?

Thanks

John Fletcher

Re: [Fit] Update: Request for feedback

Paul Fultz II

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Fletcher, John P <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Paul
>
> I have been checking out my old examples against the latest version of the FIT code.
>
> It appears that examples like this which us .by have gone from the test file construct.cpp:
>
> auto make = fit::construct<std::vector<int>>().by(fit::_1 * fit::_1);
>
> This appears to be a removal of the by adaptor from construct.
>
> Is there documentation of this and any other such changes?

The usage .by was never really documented. It was originally there to make it easier support things like `construct<T>().by(decay)` to construct by value. However, the interface has changed to make it more consistent with the rest of the library. So now `construct<T>()` will construct by value, whereas `construct_basic<T>()` has the original behavior. Of course, this difference only matters when constructing templates.

> Is there a new way to do the same thing?

The .by method was just a shortcut for the by adaptor, so it can be written as `by(_1 * _1, construct<std::vector<int>>())`

Paul