Development and release version of DocTest ( was: [IBD] RSS News Feed )

Development and release version of DocTest ( was: [IBD] RSS News Feed )

Matias Capeletto
On 7/10/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Release and development versions, in effect?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Yep, I can go with that.
> >
> > Great. Will it be possible to maintain two tables, one for each DocTest?
> > We then can make the release table more visible to outsiders, and the
> > other one will be for us. I think it is just a copy and paste from the
> > development table once we decide to release.
>
> Same page or a new page?

Maybe a new page will be better to avoid confusing people not related with IBD.

Something like:

<snip>
* Subprojects
* Browser Testing
  Similar to the actual page, but with a release table and maybe a simplified
  version of the   How to test (I am not sure about this).

     - Development
       Our messy trunk testing table.

* Logo Playground
<snip>

So user will directly see the release table.

Others ideas?

Best regards
Matias

Re: Development and release version of DocTest ( was: [IBD] RSS News Feed )

Stuart Dootson
On 10/07/07, Matias Capeletto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/10/07, Stuart Dootson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Yes.

> > > Great. Will it be possible to maintain two tables, one for each DocTest?
> > > We then can make the release table more visible to outsiders, and the
> > > other one will be for us. I think it is just a copy and paste from the
> > > development table once we decide to release.
> >
> > Same page or a new page?
>
> Maybe a new page will be better to avoid confusing people not related with IBD.
>
> Something like:
>
> <snip>
> * Subprojects
> * Browser Testing
>   Similar to the actual page, but with a release table and maybe a simplified
>   version of the   How to test (I am not sure about this).

Rather than 'How to test', 'this what testing we've done'?

>      - Development

This would be a link?

>        Our messy trunk testing table.
>
> * Logo Playground
> <snip>
>
> So user will directly see the release table.
>
> Others ideas?
>
> Best regards
> Matias

Re: Development and release version of DocTest ( was: [IBD] RSS News Feed )

João Abecasis-2
Hi!

I've been watching you guys have all the fun that I thought I'd throw in
 a couple more cents... :-)

Matias Capeletto wrote:
> Maybe a new page will be better to avoid confusing people not related with IBD.

I think you should have two pages, given your objectives.

A demonstration sample, is supposed to be a visible face for your
"users" (doc writers?). This should be clean and to the point. A doc
writer should look at it and think "I want my docs to look like that!"
Some notes on usage and best practices might also be good.

Well, I guess, the very own docs for Boost Docs and related tools should
already be a showcase for this...

Another page (or set of pages) would be your test cases. These most
likely would contain isolated content samples, perhaps with some text
pointing out what one is supposed to look at in the test. Taking this a
bit further, the pages could work as an online poll. Each particular
element to be tested would have an option where testers/viewers would
register their answers. E.g.,

        #include <iostream>

        // For readability
        using namespace std;

        int main()
        {
            cout << "Hello World!\n";
        }

    The above code sample was generated from the quickbook
    source at _link_. For this test, please verify the following
    traits:

    The code block
        [ ] appears in a box,
        [ ] is syntax highlighted
        [ ] and in a monospaced font.

    [ ] Hovering the mouse on the upper-right corner of the
    block you can select the highlighting scheme.
    [ ] Moving the mouse away from that corner makes those
    options go away.

    [ Submit ]

Ideally, you'd be able to gather test results, together with the
browser's User-Agent string, some form of tester id and process those
automatically...

Anyway, it's an idea.

Best regards,

João

On 7/10/07, João Abecasis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been watching you guys have all the fun that I thought I'd throw in
>  a couple more cents... :-)

:D

> Matias Capeletto wrote:
> > Maybe a new page will be better to avoid confusing people not related with IBD.
>
> I think you should have two pages, given your objectives.

Lets see...

> A demonstration sample, is supposed to be a visible face for your
> "users" (doc writers?). This should be clean and to the point. A doc
> writer should look at it and think "I want my docs to look like that!"
> Some notes on usage and best practices might also be good.

Ok, that is the actual DocTest + some notes.

> Well, I guess, the very own docs for Boost Docs and related tools should
> already be a showcase for this...

We will do exactly this. But the DocTest is a good one-stop shop for
showcasing the new style. We will populate our online docs with the
translated docs with time.

> Another page (or set of pages) would be your test cases. These most
> likely would contain isolated content samples, perhaps with some text
> pointing out what one is supposed to look at in the test. Taking this a
> bit further, the pages could work as an online poll. Each particular
> element to be tested would have an option where testers/viewers would
> register their answers. E.g.,
>
>         #include <iostream>
>
>         // For readability
>         using namespace std;
>
>         int main()
>         {
>             cout << "Hello World!\n";
>         }
>
>     The above code sample was generated from the quickbook
>     source at _link_. For this test, please verify the following
>     traits:
>
>     The code block
>         [ ] appears in a box,
>         [ ] is syntax highlighted
>         [ ] and in a monospaced font.
>
>     [ ] Hovering the mouse on the upper-right corner of the
>     block you can select the highlighting scheme.
>     [ ] Moving the mouse away from that corner makes those
>     options go away.

>     [ Submit ]
>
> Ideally, you'd be able to gather test results, together with the
> browser's User-Agent string, some form of tester id and process those
> automatically...
>
> Anyway, it's an idea.

A very neat one indeed.
The only problem is that I will not have the time to pursue this
myself right now because I have others priorities for IBD. Do you want
to talk with Stuart to find people to do this? Or maybe you want to
help us.

Please do not let us monopolize the fun. ;)

Thanks for jumping in
Matias