Cross compiling

Hacksaw
We're using boost, and I'm tasked with getting it working on an embedded
board, via BlueCat linux.

The BlueCat envorinment is its own little world, meant to make it
exceptionally easy to build things for the target. Because of this, they
violate a few expectations for a cross-compile environment. One of these
is that their compiler looks for headers in the wrong place for boost.

What I am trying to figure out is how to tell the boost build process to
append a path onto the list of include search paths.

setting HDRS, either in the environment or on the bjam invocation line
doesn't seem to help. I guess it's not propagating down?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Cross compiling

David Abrahams
David Charles Todd <[hidden email]> writes:

> We're using boost, and I'm tasked with getting it working on an embedded
> board, via BlueCat linux.
>
> The BlueCat envorinment is its own little world, meant to make it
> exceptionally easy to build things for the target. Because of this, they
> violate a few expectations for a cross-compile environment. One of these
> is that their compiler looks for headers in the wrong place for boost.
>
> What I am trying to figure out is how to tell the boost build process to
> append a path onto the list of include search paths.
>
> setting HDRS, either in the environment or on the bjam invocation line
> doesn't seem to help. I guess it's not propagating down?

Add

   "-sBUILD=<include>/whatever/path/you/want/appended"

to your bjam command line.

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: Cross compiling

John Maddock
> The BlueCat envorinment is its own little world, meant to make it
> exceptionally easy to build things for the target. Because of this,
> they violate a few expectations for a cross-compile environment. One
> of these is that their compiler looks for headers in the wrong place
> for boost.
>
> What I am trying to figure out is how to tell the boost build process
> to append a path onto the list of include search paths.
>
> setting HDRS, either in the environment or on the bjam invocation line
> doesn't seem to help. I guess it's not propagating down?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Use the BUILD environment variable, either:

bjam -sBUILD="<include>mypath"

or if the options you need are more obsure than usual then:

bjam -sBUILD="<cxxflags>--some-option"

Will inject --some-option directly onto the compiler command line.

John.