Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

Boost - Dev mailing list
In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion about
what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be released right
about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person suggested that we delay
the boost release until after the MSVC release (I think the suggestion was
"May").

This general question has been discussed before (several times), since
tools get released fairly often - and so does Boost.

In general, I am not in favor of delaying boost releases in order to add
support for 'about to be released' development tools.  There are two main
reasons for this:

* There's always another compiler / tool about to be released.   Clang 8 is
imminent - currently at RC5.  GCC 9.1 is scheduled to be released in early
May.

* Boost releases happen every four months. August is not really that far
off. People who want support for tool XXXX can use "the trunk", getting it
either from git or from bintray.
[ Everyone knows about the tarballs at bintray, right?
https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/master/ ]

Also, if we were to delay the boost release until May, then what would
happen to the August release?  The release process for 1.71.0 is scheduled
to start at the end of June.

-- Marshall

Re: Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 3/14/19 5:53 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:

> In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion about
> what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be released right
> about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person suggested that we delay
> the boost release until after the MSVC release (I think the suggestion was
> "May").
>
> This general question has been discussed before (several times), since
> tools get released fairly often - and so does Boost.
>
> In general, I am not in favor of delaying boost releases in order to add
> support for 'about to be released' development tools.  There are two main
> reasons for this:
>
> * There's always another compiler / tool about to be released.   Clang 8 is
> imminent - currently at RC5.  GCC 9.1 is scheduled to be released in early
> May.
>
> * Boost releases happen every four months. August is not really that far
> off. People who want support for tool XXXX can use "the trunk", getting it
> either from git or from bintray.
> [ Everyone knows about the tarballs at bintray, right?
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/master/ ]
>
> Also, if we were to delay the boost release until May, then what would
> happen to the August release?  The release process for 1.71.0 is scheduled
> to start at the end of June.

I agree with you, compiler (or other software) releases are not the
reason to shift Boost releases. I can add a few reasons to those you
have listed:

* If the new compiler is not immediately compatibe with the current
Boost, there needs to be a potentially significant lag for Boost
libraries to be updated. Which might be equivalent lagging one Boost
release with out current schedule. If the compiler doesn't break Boost
then the problem is non-existent in the first place.

* There may also be downstream Boost users who depend on the current
schedule.

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> On 3/14/19 5:53 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:

> > In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion
> > about what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be
> > released right about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person
> > suggested that we delay the boost release until after the MSVC release
> > (I think the suggestion was "May").

> I agree with you, compiler (or other software) releases are not the reason
> to shift Boost releases.

Please don't redirect the discussion into irrelevancy. There is no need to
delay Boost 17.0 (Apr 10) until after VS 2019 (Apr 2), because in this
universe time flows forwards, not backwards. And "May" was a flippant
reference to Theresa May, not the month of May.

The subject under discussion is whether we should release, in 1.70, the
Boost.Build changes that enable VS 2019 (currently in develop but not in
master), and if so, how.

Re: Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 17:19, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> And "May" was a flippant reference to Theresa May, not the month of May.

Flippant or not, in the old world it keeps us busy [an event comparable to
the state of California declaring independence], like that bloody wall
keeps the Americans busy.

The subject under discussion is whether we should release, in 1.70, the
> Boost.Build changes that enable VS 2019 (currently in develop but not in
> master), and if so, how.

That's it!

degski
--
*"Big boys don't cry" - **Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman*

On 3/14/19 6:19 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
>> On 3/14/19 5:53 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>
>> > In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion
>> > about what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be >
>> released right about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person >
>> suggested that we delay the boost release until after the MSVC release
>> > (I think the suggestion was "May").

>> I agree with you, compiler (or other software) releases are not the
>> reason to shift Boost releases.
>
> Please don't redirect the discussion into irrelevancy. There is no need
> to delay Boost 17.0 (Apr 10) until after VS 2019 (Apr 2), because in
> this universe time flows forwards, not backwards. And "May" was a
> flippant reference to Theresa May, not the month of May.

I didn't follow the original discussion, but the OP of this thread
certainly suggested to delay the Boost release, unless I'm misreading
something. I was responding to that suggestion.

> The subject under discussion is whether we should release, in 1.70, the
> Boost.Build changes that enable VS 2019 (currently in develop but not in
> master), and if so, how.

I'm not opposed to merging those changes to master before the release,
provided that they are tested in develop (presumably, with a pre-release
version of VS 2019) and don't break anything.

Re: Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 17:29, Andrey Semashev via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I didn't follow the original discussion, but the OP of this thread
> certainly suggested to delay the Boost release, unless I'm misreading
> something.

I did, not the OP. In an earlier post Peter mentioned the 3rd (of April)
[as a cut-off date], now (as per a later post) it seems to be the 10th,
like Peter said, more than enough time it seems (and time doesn't even have
to flow backwards).

> I'm not opposed to merging those changes to master before the release,
> provided that they are tested in develop (presumably, with a pre-release
> version of VS 2019) and don't break anything.

Yes.

degski
--
*"Big boys don't cry" - **Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman*

Re: Coordinating Boost Releases with compiler releases

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM Marshall Clow via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the thread "MSVC 2019 and 1.70 beta", there has been a discussion about
> what to do about support for MSVC 2019, which is due to be released right
> about the same time that Boost 1.70.  One person suggested that we delay
> the boost release until after the MSVC release (I think the suggestion was
> "May").
>
> This general question has been discussed before (several times), since
> tools get released fairly often - and so does Boost.
>
> In general, I am not in favor of delaying boost releases in order to add
> support for 'about to be released' development tools.  There are two main
> reasons for this:
>
> * There's always another compiler / tool about to be released.   Clang 8 is
> imminent - currently at RC5.  GCC 9.1 is scheduled to be released in early
> May.
>
> * Boost releases happen every four months. August is not really that far
> off. People who want support for tool XXXX can use "the trunk", getting it
> either from git or from bintray.
> [ Everyone knows about the tarballs at bintray, right?
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/master/ ]
>
> Also, if we were to delay the boost release until May, then what would
> happen to the August release?  The release process for 1.71.0 is scheduled
> to start at the end of June.
>
> -- Marshall

I don't believe that we should hold up the build to wait for VS2019 to
ship. However, I do believe that we should merge in (existing) support to
enable VS2019 before the release. Clang/GCC are different, because they
don't require any changes to the codebase to enable new versions.

Clang 8 is already building in the regression test matrix against both
master and develop.

VS2019 is building in the regression test matrix against develop. I have a
job that is attempting to build it against master, but it fails so early in
the process that it doesn't upload anything, and we don't see an all yellow
column.

The risk (minor?) here is that merging support to master will cause
failures (that aren't in develop?). When users run and see that VS2019 is
building, they will assume full support (i.e. that authors have had a
chance to checkout their library), which it won't have.

Lets merge to master and *not* list this as a supported compiler.

Tom

Tom Kent wrote:

> The risk (minor?) here is that merging support to master will cause
> failures (that aren't in develop?).

The risk is that the support for 2019 will break 2017, as it already did
(twice), but let's hope we've fixed all these already.