Compiling CUDA file ending in .cu

Boost - Build mailing list
I just want to use the 'compile' rule to compile a CUDA file, meaning a
file ending in .cu, to an object file in a .jam file. In all other
respects the CUDA file should be treated like a normal .cpp file being
compiled with the 'compile' rule. Is there some way to specify this in a
jam file ?

My current attempt generates:

somepath/boost/tools/build/src/build/generators.jam:1127: in ensure-type
from module generators
error: target { clang_cuda.cu. } has no type
etc.

What do I have to do to tell Boost Build that the .cu type should be
treated just like .cpp type for my 'compile' test ?

Re: Compiling CUDA file ending in .cu

Boost - Build mailing list
On 10/1/2019 1:49 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:

> I just want to use the 'compile' rule to compile a CUDA file, meaning
> a file ending in .cu, to an object file in a .jam file. In all other
> respects the CUDA file should be treated like a normal .cpp file being
> compiled with the 'compile' rule. Is there some way to specify this in
> a jam file ?
>
> My current attempt generates:
>
> somepath/boost/tools/build/src/build/generators.jam:1127: in
> ensure-type from module generators
> error: target { clang_cuda.cu. } has no type
> etc.
>
> What do I have to do to tell Boost Build that the .cu type should be
> treated just like .cpp type for my 'compile' test ?

If it's just for a file or two, you can probably do "[ cast _ cpp :
clang_cuda.cu ]" where you would normally put the cpp file.  To treat
all .cu files as cpp files, I think "type.register-suffixes cu : cpp ;"
will do it.  (I haven't tested either -- just looking at the boost-build
source).

Phillip

On 10/1/2019 2:12 PM, Phillip Seaver via Boost-build wrote:

> On 10/1/2019 1:49 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
>> I just want to use the 'compile' rule to compile a CUDA file, meaning
>> a file ending in .cu, to an object file in a .jam file. In all other
>> respects the CUDA file should be treated like a normal .cpp file being
>> compiled with the 'compile' rule. Is there some way to specify this in
>> a jam file ?
>>
>> My current attempt generates:
>>
>> somepath/boost/tools/build/src/build/generators.jam:1127: in
>> ensure-type from module generators
>> error: target { clang_cuda.cu. } has no type
>> etc.
>>
>> What do I have to do to tell Boost Build that the .cu type should be
>> treated just like .cpp type for my 'compile' test ?
>

> If it's just for a file or two, you can probably do "[ cast _ cpp :
> clang_cuda.cu ]" where you would normally put the cpp file.  To treat
> all .cu files as cpp files, I think "type.register-suffixes cu : cpp ;"
> will do it.  (I haven't tested either -- just looking at the boost-build
> source).

Your first suggestion worked fine. Just had to also add 'import cast ;'.
Thanks !