Compiling Boost Libraries

Boost - Users mailing list
How do you guys compile Boost libraries in your project when all the
header files are linked using angle brackets?

For example in Visual Studio and C++ builder (Embarcadero) a link such as:

#include <boost/config.hpp>

won't compile but a link such as:

#include "boost/config.hpp"

Has no problems.

How are we suppose to change the files so that there is no such problems.

I would like to use only a few libraries in certain projects but
changing the files is going to take a heck of a ling time bearing in my
mind some files contains nested headers!!

Am I missing something here.   Surely there must a be a solution because
these libraries have been going on since 1999!!

Re: Compiling Boost Libraries

Boost - Users mailing list
On 1/18/2018 12:32 AM, Good Guy via Boost-users wrote:

> How do you guys compile Boost libraries in your project when all the
> header files are linked using angle brackets?
>
> For example in Visual Studio and C++ builder (Embarcadero) a link such as:
>
> #include <boost/config.hpp>
>
> won't compile but a link such as:
>
> #include "boost/config.hpp"
>
> Has no problems.
>
> How are we suppose to change the files so that there is no such problems.
>
> I would like to use only a few libraries in certain projects but
> changing the files is going to take a heck of a ling time bearing in my
> mind some files contains nested headers!!
>
> Am I missing something here.   Surely there must a be a solution because
> these libraries have been going on since 1999!!

You add to your IDE's include path wherever you installed the particular
Boost release you want to use. Then the form of <boost/config.hpp> find
that header file relative to that include path.

On 18/01/2018 05:55, Edward Diener via Boost-users wrote:

> On 1/18/2018 12:32 AM, Good Guy via Boost-users wrote:
>> How do you guys compile Boost libraries in your project when all the
>> header files are linked using angle brackets?
>>
>> For example in Visual Studio and C++ builder (Embarcadero) a link
>> such as:
>>
>> #include <boost/config.hpp>
>>
>> won't compile but a link such as:
>>
>> #include "boost/config.hpp"
>>
>> Has no problems.
>>
>> How are we suppose to change the files so that there is no such
>> problems.
>>
>> I would like to use only a few libraries in certain projects but
>> changing the files is going to take a heck of a ling time bearing in
>> my mind some files contains nested headers!!
>>
>> Am I missing something here.   Surely there must a be a solution
>> because these libraries have been going on since 1999!!
>
> You add to your IDE's include path wherever you installed the
> particular Boost release you want to use. Then the form of
> <boost/config.hpp> find that header file relative to that include path.

I am using VS code and compiling the code using Embarcadero bcc32c.exe.

OK I'll try using Visual Studio Community Edition to see if it works for
me.   I want to get used to using Boost and learn something new from the
libraries and perhaps create something useful from them.

Thanks for the response.

On 01/19/2018 03:34 AM, Good Guy via Boost-users wrote:
> I am using VS code and compiling the code using Embarcadero bcc32c.exe.
>
> OK I'll try using Visual Studio Community Edition to see if it works for
> me.   I want to get used to using Boost and learn something new from the
> libraries and perhaps create something useful from them.
>
> Thanks for the response.

This is not a compiler issue. This is you not adding boost header path
to the compiler search paths.

1. install boost (which may or may not include compiling things)
2. add boost path to INCLUDE paths in environment, or IDE project
config, or however you add these things.

http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/rad_studio/delphiAndcpp2009/HelpUpdate2/EN/html/devwin32/bcc32_xml.html

then you should see -I<boost_path_here> when you are compiling things.
At least in the logs. If you don't, then you are not setting things up
correctly.

- Adam