Clarifying Boost evolution plans mentioned on Twitter

Clarifying Boost evolution plans mentioned on Twitter

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi all,

Some pictures from the C++Now "Boost Library In A Week" end-of-week summary
were posted to Twitter today by an attendee, along with some mistaken
statements suggesting that "Boost plans to move to C++11".

I want to clarify what is actually going on:

0.) During the week, the Library In A Week group discussed some ideas for
how Boost might migrate to newer standards. I'm somewhat to blame as I
initiated these discussions.
1.) Those ideas were collected into a draft document by Jeff Garland.
2.) During the closing panel, Jeff presented the draft document and stated
the next step would be to share it with the mailing list.
3.) Due to an innocent misunderstanding, an attendee posted a picture of
part of the document with the unclear message "Boost plans to move to
C++11".
4.) I wrote this email.

I have asked the attendee to delete the tweet (and repost with a clearer
message if they wish).

I don't want to share the document from LIAW. Jeff put a lot of work into
it and I don't want to steal his thunder (I realize this email inevitably
does that). I'm sure he will follow up with a post explaining what ideas we
came up with soon.

I'm very sorry for the confusion, and I'm sure the attendee is as well.
This was just an innocent mixup.

Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash
ISO C++ Committee Member
CppCon and C++Now Program Chair
Thrust Maintainer, HPX Developer
CUDA Convert and Reformed AVX Junkie

Sleep is for the weak

Re: Clarifying Boost evolution plans mentioned on Twitter

Boost - Dev mailing list

Should we use this as a launching point for a discussion?

On 14/05/2018 2:57 a.m., Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:31 AM, Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash wrote:
>
> Should we use this as a launching point for a discussion?

 From that post, I assume it would be better to wait for Jeff Garland to
present it properly.

Re: Clarifying Boost evolution plans mentioned on Twitter

Boost - Dev mailing list
Yes - I will attempt to cleanup the draft with feedback not yet
incorporated and post to the list shortly.  My return from Aspen,
fortunately, involved a few days of being completely disconnected :)

Jeff