Quantcast

Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

12

Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Paul A. Bristow-2
I note that the test of ztest_max_digits10 and zztest_max_digits10 in

http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/math.html

both fail  for these platforms.

ztest_max_digits10 tests of native std::numeric_limits<>::max_digits10 is supported.
zztest_max_digits10 test if BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST is a proxy to signal support.

where using std::numeric_limits<>::max_digits10 should be possible using
BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST as a proxy

for Clang the messages are

In file included from ../libs/math/test/zztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found
#  include <cstddef>

In file included from ../libs/math/test/ztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found

or for Cray CC-1353 crayc++: INTERNAL File = /opt/gcc/4.4.4/snos/include/g++/bits/move.h, Line = 34
  CIF Error

  #include <cstddef>
                    ^
This appears to be a problem in the config - a missing include.

Suggestions?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK
+44 1539 561830  07714330204

Re: Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Lars Viklund
On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 03:18:46PM +0100, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> I note that the test of ztest_max_digits10 and zztest_max_digits10 in
>
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/trunk/developer/math.html
>
> both fail  for these platforms.
>
> ztest_max_digits10 tests of native std::numeric_limits<>::max_digits10 is supported.
> zztest_max_digits10 test if BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST is a proxy to signal support.
>
> where using std::numeric_limits<>::max_digits10 should be possible using
> BOOST_NO_NUMERIC_LIMITS_LOWEST as a proxy
>
> for Clang the messages are
>
> In file included from ../libs/math/test/zztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found
> #  include <cstddef>
>
> In file included from ../libs/math/test/ztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found
>
> or for Cray CC-1353 crayc++: INTERNAL File = /opt/gcc/4.4.4/snos/include/g++/bits/move.h, Line = 34
>   CIF Error
>
>   #include <cstddef>
>                     ^
> This appears to be a problem in the config - a missing include.

A user complained on the IRC the other day about <cstddef> being missing
on his FreeBSD system when using libc++.

It turned out that he had forgotten to set WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=yes for his
system, as advised in [1].

<cstddef> has been in the standard since at least C++03, so if your
toolchain is missing it, there's something properly wrong with it.

I see now that the clang in the test link is on darwin, but it still
smells of mis-deployment.

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-May/067645.html

--
Lars Viklund | [hidden email]

Re: Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Michel MORIN
Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> for Clang the messages are
>
> In file included from ../libs/math/test/zztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found
> #  include <cstddef>
>
> In file included from ../libs/math/test/ztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found

boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp includes <cstddef> to
determine which stdlib is used. It seems that, due to some
misconfiguration in the test runner, clang cannot find <cstddef>.
In my system (Mac OS X 10.7, clang trunk, libc++ and
boost trunk), the two tests run fine.

Regards,
Michel

Re: Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Paul A. Bristow-2
Morin

> Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 3:52 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?
>
> Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> > for Clang the messages are
> >
> > In file included from ../libs/math/test/zztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> > In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> > ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef'
> > file not found #  include <cstddef>
> >
> > In file included from ../libs/math/test/ztest_max_digits10.cpp:27:
> > In file included from ../boost/config.hpp:40:
> > ../boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp:18:12: fatal error: 'cstddef'
> > file not found
>
> boost/config/select_stdlib_config.hpp includes <cstddef> to determine which stdlib is used. It
seems that,
> due to some misconfiguration in the test runner, clang cannot find <cstddef>.
> In my system (Mac OS X 10.7, clang trunk, libc++ and boost trunk), the two tests run fine.

Well, that's reassuring :-)

Is there anything else I should do to alert the test runners that very many tests will now fail on
their platforms until this is corrected?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK
+44 1539 561830  07714330204

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Belcourt, Kenneth

On Jul 9, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

This is, I'm afraid, out of the test runners hands.  The issue is that clang (the same binary) works fine on these platforms if we disable c++11, not sure why enabling c++11 triggers missing cstddef header problems.  We may need to followup with the clang developers to see if this behavior is known / expected or considered a bug.

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Paul A. Bristow-2

Well - I fear it will prevent any useful Boost.Test results on this configuration until it is
resolved.  If really, really necessary, I could revert this change for a short time until that is
done.

(Does the fact the Cray test runner has the same problem give any clues?)

Paul

Paul A. Bristow wrote:

>> > Is there anything else I should do to alert the test runners that very
>> > many tests will now fail on their platforms until this is corrected?
>>

>> This is, I'm afraid, out of the test runners hands.  The issue is that clang (the same binary)
> works fine on
>> these platforms if we disable c++11, not sure why enabling c++11 triggers missing cstddef header
>> problems.  We may need to followup with the clang developers to see if this behavior is known /
> expected
>> or considered a bug.
>
> Well - I fear it will prevent any useful Boost.Test results on this configuration until it is
> resolved.  If really, really necessary, I could revert this change for a short time until that is
> done.

I will help Noel.
If you want, I can run a test runner with clang in a C++11 mode tonight
(it's morning now).

Regards,
Michel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Michel MORIN
Hi Noel,

Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> This is, I'm afraid, out of the test runners hands.
> The issue is that clang (the same binary) works fine on these platforms
> if we disable c++11, not sure why enabling c++11 triggers missing
> cstddef header problems.

That's because you use libstdc++ in a C++03 mode and
libc++ (-stdlib=libc++) in a C++11 mode.

1. What's your system? Mac OS X 10.6?

2. Did you install libc++? If not, please install it. See the instruction
"Get it and get involved!" at http://libcxx.llvm.org/ .

3. If you already installed libc++ but the error happens, then your libc++
is not installed to the standard location. Could you check which directories
are searched by clang (by compiling with "-v" option) and where your libc++
headers are installed?
If you don't want to install libc++ to the standard location,
you can pass -IPATH_TO_YOUR_LIBCXX_INCLUDE_DIR and
-LPATH_TO_YOUR_LIBCXX_LIB_DIR as clang's command line options
to specify the location of your libc++.

P.S. -stdlib=libc++ should be added to <linkflags>, too.

Regards,
Michel

On Jul 9, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

Michel has sent some very helpful instructions that should help me make progress.  Please leave you change for now while I try to get clang c++11 support going.

> (Does the fact the Cray test runner has the same problem give any clues?)

They are an entirely separate entity so no clues there.

-- Noel

On Jul 9, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Michel Morin wrote:

>>> This is, I'm afraid, out of the test runners hands.  The issue is that clang (the same binary)
>> works fine on
>>> these platforms if we disable c++11, not sure why enabling c++11 triggers missing cstddef header
>>> problems.  We may need to followup with the clang developers to see if this behavior is known /
>> expected
>>> or considered a bug.
>>
>> Well - I fear it will prevent any useful Boost.Test results on this configuration until it is
>> resolved.  If really, really necessary, I could revert this change for a short time until that is
>> done.
>
> I will help Noel.
> If you want, I can run a test runner with clang in a C++11 mode tonight
> (it's morning now).

Well, that would be helpful.  Based on your other detailed response I have some Clang configuration problems that I need to fix.  Having your tester would be a big help, thanks!

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Belcourt, Kenneth
Hi Michel,

On Jul 9, 2012, at 7:28 PM, Michel Morin wrote:

> Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
>> This is, I'm afraid, out of the test runners hands.
>> The issue is that clang (the same binary) works fine on these platforms
>> if we disable c++11, not sure why enabling c++11 triggers missing
>> cstddef header problems.
>
> That's because you use libstdc++ in a C++03 mode and
> libc++ (-stdlib=libc++) in a C++11 mode.
>
> 1. What's your system? Mac OS X 10.6?

Same failure pattern on both Darwin and Linux.  Yes Darwin is:

      System Version: Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 (10K549)

> 2. Did you install libc++? If not, please install it. See the instruction
> "Get it and get involved!" at http://libcxx.llvm.org/ .

Sorry, missed this crucial step.

> 3. If you already installed libc++ but the error happens, then your libc++
> is not installed to the standard location. Could you check which directories
> are searched by clang (by compiling with "-v" option) and where your libc++
> headers are installed?
> If you don't want to install libc++ to the standard location,
> you can pass -IPATH_TO_YOUR_LIBCXX_INCLUDE_DIR and
> -LPATH_TO_YOUR_LIBCXX_LIB_DIR as clang's command line options
> to specify the location of your libc++.

The instructions suggest this:

To build on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you need a helper library and header found here. cp cxxabi.h to /usr/include, and cp libc++abi.dylib to /usr/lib.

But I'm not a sysadmin so I can't write into those locations.  Do you know if clang will work correctly if those files are located elsewhere?

> P.S. -stdlib=libc++ should be added to <linkflags>, too.

Ah yes, I probably forgot to add this, thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, links, etc.. that really helps me out.

-- Noel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Michel MORIN
First, as a user of the Boost libraries, I'd like to say thank you to
Noel and all the testers for providing the testing resources.

Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
>> 2. Did you install libc++? If not, please install it. See the instruction
>> "Get it and get involved!" at http://libcxx.llvm.org/ .
>
> Sorry, missed this crucial step.
[...]
> The instructions suggest this:
>
> To build on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you need a helper library
> and header found here. cp cxxabi.h to /usr/include,
> and cp libc++abi.dylib to /usr/lib.
>
> But I'm not a sysadmin so I can't write into those locations.
> Do you know if clang will work correctly if those files are located elsewhere?

OK, so you cannot install libc++ to the standard location.
Let's try the following and see how it goes:

1. Download and build libc++.

2. Move to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" ("SOME_PATH" is the location
where you downloaded libc++). Make a symbolic link or a copy of
"libc++.1.dylib" as "libc++.dylib" in the same directory.

3. Copy "cxxabi.h" to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/include"
and "libc++abi.dylib" to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib".

4. Run the test runner script with
* adding "-ISOME_PATH/libcxx/include" to <cxxflags>,
* adding "-LSOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" to <linkflags>,
* adding "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" to environment variable "DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH".
Maybe something like
    env DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib python run.py ...

Regards,
Michel

On Jul 10, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Michel Morin wrote:

> First, as a user of the Boost libraries, I'd like to say thank you to
> Noel and all the testers for providing the testing resources.

You're welcome.  Regrettably I'm unable to contribute much to the code base so the least I can do is provide access to testers.

> Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
>>> 2. Did you install libc++? If not, please install it. See the instruction
>>> "Get it and get involved!" at http://libcxx.llvm.org/ .
>>
>> The instructions suggest this:
>>
>> To build on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), you need a helper library
>> and header found here. cp cxxabi.h to /usr/include,
>> and cp libc++abi.dylib to /usr/lib.
>>
>> But I'm not a sysadmin so I can't write into those locations.
>> Do you know if clang will work correctly if those files are located elsewhere?
>
> OK, so you cannot install libc++ to the standard location.
> Let's try the following and see how it goes:

The Darwin clang c++11 tests are running, results should post in a few hours.  Now that I understand the process, I'll attempt to bring up clang on linux with c++11 / libc++ support (might be the weekend before this happens).

Couldn't have done it without your help, thanks again!

-- Noel

Michel Morin wrote:

> OK, so you cannot install libc++ to the standard location.
> Let's try the following and see how it goes:
>
> 1. Download and build libc++.
>
> 2. Move to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" ("SOME_PATH" is the location
> where you downloaded libc++). Make a symbolic link or a copy of
> "libc++.1.dylib" as "libc++.dylib" in the same directory.
>
> 3. Copy "cxxabi.h" to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/include"
> and "libc++abi.dylib" to "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib".
>
> 4. Run the test runner script with
> * adding "-ISOME_PATH/libcxx/include" to <cxxflags>,
> * adding "-LSOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" to <linkflags>,
> * adding "SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib" to environment variable "DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH".
> Maybe something like
>     env DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib python run.py ...

Forgot to add one thing:

When compiling, command line option "-IPATH_TO_TEST_RUNNER_BOOST_ROOT"
should appear before "-ISOME_PATH/libcxx/include".
For example, user-config.jam looks something like this

using clang
  : trunk_cxx11
  : $(HOME)/Clang/build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++
  : <cxxflags>"-std=c++0x -stdlib=libc++ -I$(HOME)/TestRunner/boost
-I$(HOME)/Clang/libcxx/include"
    <linkflags>"-stdlib=libc++ -L$(HOME)/Clang/libcxx/lib"
  ;

Regards,
Michel

Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> The Darwin clang c++11 tests are running, results should post in a few hours.

All tests failed on Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk and
Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk-c++11!
In many cases, compilation succeeded but linking failed.

[Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk]
* Remove "-ISOME_PATH/libcxx/include" and "-LSOME_PATH/libcxx/lib".

[Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk-c++11]
* Did you make "libc++.dylib" (by symlinking or copying "libc++.1.dylib")?

Regards,
Michel

Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> Now that I understand the process,
> I'll attempt to bring up clang on linux with c++11 / libc++ support
> (might be the weekend before this happens).

I don't know much about the situation around Linux, but
I don't recommend to use libc++ on Linux. On Linux, please use libstdc++.
(When using clang in a C++11 mode on Linux, pass the command-line option
"-std=c++0x" but don't pass "-stdlib=libc++".)

libstdc++-4.7 needs to be patched when used with clang (a patch is
distributed at http://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html), but, IIRC,
libstdc++-4.6 can be used with clang without any patch.

Regards,
Michel

Michel Morin wrote:
> When compiling, command line option "-IPATH_TO_TEST_RUNNER_BOOST_ROOT"
> should appear before "-ISOME_PATH/libcxx/include".

Or simply use "-isystem SOME_PATH/libcxx/include":

using clang
  : trunk_cxx11
  : $(HOME)/Clang/build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang++
  : <cxxflags>"-std=c++0x -stdlib=libc++ -isystem $(HOME)/Clang/libcxx/include"

Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
>> If you want, I can run a test runner with clang in a C++11 mode tonight
>> (it's morning now).
>
> Well, that would be helpful.

I temporarily ran clang test runners
* clang-cxx11-r159746 (in a C++11 mode)
* clang-cxx03-r159746 (in a C++03 mode)
and updated the results.

Regards,
Michel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Clang Darwin trunk Cray 8.0 and max_digits10 support - problem in config?

Michel MORIN
I was missing one more thing...

Michel Morin wrote:
>> The Darwin clang c++11 tests are running, results should post in a few hours.
>
> All tests failed on Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk and
> Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk-c++11!
> In many cases, compilation succeeded but linking failed.
[...]
> [Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk-c++11]
> * Did you make "libc++.dylib" (by symlinking or copying "libc++.1.dylib")?

Before you build libc++ by the "libcxx/lib/buildit" script,
please change the following lines of the script:
* Line 55
    -install_name /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
    -install_name SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib/libc++.1.dylib

* Line 56
    -Wl,-reexport_library,/usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib \
    -Wl,-reexport_library,SOME_PATH/libcxx/lib/libc++abi.dylib \

Then,
* build libcxx,
* make a symlink or a copy of libc++.1.dylib.

Could you try it?
I think this is the reason the C++11 test runner still fails.
Sorry for troubling you again.

Regards,
Michel

On Jul 11, 2012, at 2:18 AM, Michel Morin wrote:

> Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
>> The Darwin clang c++11 tests are running, results should post in a few hours.
>
> All tests failed on Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk and
> Sandia-darwin-clang-trunk-c++11!
> In many cases, compilation succeeded but linking failed.

I'm a stranger in a strange land.

When building libc++.1.dylib the paths all look good.

/home/kbelco/llvm_darwin/build/Release+Asserts/bin/clang algorithm.o bind.o chrono.o condition_variable.o debug.o exception.o future.o hash.o ios.o iostream.o locale.o memory.o mutex.o new.o random.o regex.o stdexcept.o string.o strstream.o system_error.o thread.o typeinfo.o utility.o valarray.o -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -o libc++.1.dylib -dynamiclib -nodefaultlibs -current_version 1 -compatibility_version 1 -install_name /home/kbelco/llvm_darwin/libcxx/lib/libc++.1.dylib -Wl,-reexport_library,/home/kbelco/libcppabi/libc++abi.dylib -Wl,-unexported_symbols_list,libc++unexp.exp /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -std=c++0x -U__STRICT_ANSI__

But what really strange is this library I downloaded:

sh-3.2$ ls -l /home/kbelco/libcppabi/libc++abi.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 kbelco  kbelco  279396 Jul 10 15:21 /home/kbelco/libcppabi/libc++abi.dylib

Seems to depend on /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib:

sh-3.2$ otool -L /home/kbelco/libcppabi/libc++abi.dylib
/home/kbelco/libcppabi/libc++abi.dylib:
        /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.0)

but that library doesn't even exist.

sh-3.2$ ls -l /usr/lib/libc+*
ls: /usr/lib/libc+*: No such file or directory

So I think that's why the c++11 tests all fail for /usr/lib/libc++abi.dylib.  Note that there's a /usr/bin/clang but no /usr/bin/clang++ on this system.

-- Noel

12