Changing user-config.jam after b2 command

Changing user-config.jam after b2 command

Boost - Build mailing list
After issuing a b2 command, can user-config.jam be changed without
affecting the original b2 command ? In other words does the b2 command
cache all the information it needs from user-config.jam so that changing
user-config.jam will not affect any further processing of the b2 command
? If so, at what point in the output of the b2 command can I know that I
can change user-config.jam without affecting the b2 command processing ?

Re: Changing user-config.jam after b2 command

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/02/2018 04:49 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
> After issuing a b2 command, can user-config.jam be changed without
> affecting the original b2 command ? In other words does the b2 command
> cache all the information it needs from user-config.jam so that changing
> user-config.jam will not affect any further processing of the b2 command
> ? If so, at what point in the output of the b2 command can I know that I
> can change user-config.jam without affecting the b2 command processing ?

  user-config.jam is loaded once very early in
the build process.  Any changes made after it
is read will have no effect.  (This applies to
all other modules and Jamfiles, too.)  If you really
want to know when user-config.jam has been loaded,
you can put an ECHO in it (or just use --debug-configuration)

In Christ,
Steven watanabe

On 1/2/2018 7:12 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 01/02/2018 04:49 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
>> After issuing a b2 command, can user-config.jam be changed without
>> affecting the original b2 command ? In other words does the b2 command
>> cache all the information it needs from user-config.jam so that changing
>> user-config.jam will not affect any further processing of the b2 command
>> ? If so, at what point in the output of the b2 command can I know that I
>> can change user-config.jam without affecting the b2 command processing ?
>>

>    user-config.jam is loaded once very early in
> the build process.  Any changes made after it
> is read will have no effect.  (This applies to
> all other modules and Jamfiles, too.)  If you really
> want to know when user-config.jam has been loaded,
> you can put an ECHO in it (or just use --debug-configuration)

My user-config.jam consists of 'using' statements. Where am I supposed
to put an ECHO statement ?

On 01/02/2018 11:46 PM, Edward Diener via Boost-build wrote:
> On 1/2/2018 7:12 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:
>> If you really
>> want to know when user-config.jam has been loaded,
>> you can put an ECHO in it (or just use --debug-configuration)
>
> My user-config.jam consists of 'using' statements. Where am I supposed
> to put an ECHO statement ?

user-config.jam is parsed as jam code.  'using' is a function call,
as is ECHO.  Just put it at the top level.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe