CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Boost - Users mailing list

The libraries produced by the Boost community have had a greater impact on the way that the C++ community writes code than any other library implementation. The focus of the Boost community will always be on the libraries, but it is undeniable that we are dependent on and often limited by the infrastructure of our trade. Years ago, the move to Git was contentious; yet, it was required to improve development. In a similar vein our build system has become an impediment for many developers and users, existing and prospective.

Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community our desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users and developers alike. We are soliciting comments and proposals from the community to guide the process and the goals. Our desire is that the community can come to consensus by the end of the calendar year with a vision of supporting users and developers.

We understand that the actual process of achieving the end goal will be long, time consuming, and not without its share of conflict. We also recognize that the Boost community is comprised of bright and passionate individuals that are eager to get involved and help get work done.

The members of the Steering Committee have been encouraged by the discussions and activity surrounding CMake on the mailing lists over the years and know that many people have voiced visions. We hope that each of you rejoins the discussion to support this initiative and contributes to the common goal of improving Boost’s integration into the broader C++ ecosystem.

For the Boost Steering Committee,

Jon Kalb, Chair

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Boost - Users mailing list
Personally, I welcome this move...

Shayne

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Boost - Users mailing list
For what it's worth, so do I.

bjam is just complete voodoo to me.

El 18/07/17 a las 10:12, Jon Kalb via Boost-users escribió:

Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community our desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users and developers alike. We are soliciting comments and proposals

Congratulations to both the CMake team and the Boost team!  I love the move.

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Amen! More CMake for the masses!

This means I might even consider picking up Boost as a dependency.

Feladó: [hidden email]
Elküldve: 2017. július 18., kedd 19:31
Címzett: [hidden email]
Másolatot kap: [hidden email]

On 18/07/17 14:12, Jon Kalb via Boost-users wrote:
> Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community
> our desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users
> and developers alike.

This is great news to hear.

> The members of the Steering Committee have been encouraged by the
> discussions and activity surrounding CMake on the mailing lists over the
> years and know that many people have voiced visions. We hope that each
> of you rejoins the discussion to support this initiative and contributes
> to the common goal of improving Boost’s integration into the broader C++
> ecosystem.

I'm one of the maintainers of the CMake Boost support
(https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/FindBoost.cmake)

Currently we hardcode all the inter-module library and header dependency
information back to Boost 1.33 so that it's possible to call

     find_package(Boost COMPONENT filesystem thread)

and have it find the libraries and tell CMake what the dependencies are
so it can compile and link with the correct includes and libraries.

With Boost using CMake itself, it would be nice if this information
could be provided directly by Boost, so that the dependency information
doesn't need to be hardcoded--it can be supplied directly with the build
in the form of a ${libdir}/cmake/BoostConfig.cmake script.  This would
mean we could retire FindBoost.cmake and cease the hardcoding of
dependency information for new releases from this point onward.  We
would need to keep it around for backward compatibility for some time,
but users could switch over to the provided configuration pretty seamlessly.

Over the years, FindBoost has accumulated a number of tweakable settings
and variables and which report various information about Boost features
(e.g. enabling autolinking).  While some of these might no longer be
needed, it would be nice if you could consider preserving the existing
option and target names used in the above linked FindBoost.cmake script
for backward compatibility so that users can switch to the new config
script with ease.

I'd be happy to work with you on making any needed changes to
FindBoost.cmake for forward compatibility with exported Boost cmake
configuration.  Likewise I'd be happy to provide any assistance with
CMake support in Boost itself, e.g. to get the configuration export
working (if it's not been done already).

Kind regards,
Roger

On Tue, 2017-07-18 at 19:01 +0100, Roger Leigh via Boost-users wrote:

> On 18/07/17 14:12, Jon Kalb via Boost-users wrote:
> >
> > Therefore, we, the Steering Committee, announce to the Boost community
> > our desire and intent to move Boost’s build system to CMake for users
> > and developers alike.
> This is great news to hear.
>

> > The members of the Steering Committee have been encouraged by the
> > discussions and activity surrounding CMake on the mailing lists over the
> > years and know that many people have voiced visions. We hope that each
> > of you rejoins the discussion to support this initiative and contributes
> > to the common goal of improving Boost’s integration into the broader C++
> > ecosystem.
> I'm one of the maintainers of the CMake Boost support
> (https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/FindBoost.cmake)
>
> Currently we hardcode all the inter-module library and header dependency
> information back to Boost 1.33 so that it's possible to call
>
>      find_package(Boost COMPONENT filesystem thread)
>
> and have it find the libraries and tell CMake what the dependencies are
> so it can compile and link with the correct includes and libraries.
>
> With Boost using CMake itself, it would be nice if this information
> could be provided directly by Boost, so that the dependency information
> doesn't need to be hardcoded--it can be supplied directly with the build
> in the form of a ${libdir}/cmake/BoostConfig.cmake script.  This would
> mean we could retire FindBoost.cmake and cease the hardcoding of
> dependency information for new releases from this point onward.  We
> would need to keep it around for backward compatibility for some time,
> but users could switch over to the provided configuration pretty seamlessly.

Well, actually, an intial setup for cmake, I have it generate config files for
every library here:

https://github.com/boost-cmake/boost

So then its just a matter of updating `FindBoost` to use these packages.

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

I'm one of the maintainers of the CMake Boost support (https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/FindBoost.cmake

Roger, can Cmake be used for boost.context?
Especially this library required to know the architecture, ABI, binary format,  address model  ... in order to select the right assembler?

On 18/07/17 20:36, Oliver Kowalke via Boost-users wrote:

>     I'm one of the maintainers of the CMake Boost support
>     (https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/FindBoost.cmake
>     <https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/blob/master/Modules/FindBoost.cmake>
>

> Roger, can Cmake be used for boost.context?
> Especially this library required to know the architecture, ABI, binary
> format,  address model  ... in order to select the right assembler?

We have the header and dependency information for boost.context (thread
chrono system date_time) and components depending upon boost.context
(coroutine, coroutine2, fiber), all extracted from the header autolink
information.  This information varies for older Boost releases.

Whether that's correct, sufficient or functional I'm afraid I don't know
because I've not used it myself.  How is boost.context normally informed
about these details when compiling and linking?

If there's additional work we need to do to make this work, I'll be
happy to look into it.

Regards,
Roger

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Cmake file for boost.context is missing support for segmented stack (split-stack), valgrind ...?
Is the Cmake port is not complete?

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

Whether that's correct, sufficient or functional I'm afraid I don't know because I've not used it myself.  How is boost.context normally informed about these details when compiling and linking

properties from the build system

If there's additional work we need to do to make this work, I'll be happy to look into it

That would be nice - I'm unfamiliar with Cmake.
For instance you can build boost.context, boost.coroutine2 and boost.fiber with special assembler or using ucontext framework or Windows Fibers. Additionally you can build boost.fiber for Intel's Transactional Memory (TXN). I don't know how this is accomblished with Cmake.

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

I welcome this move. Congratulations!

> We understand that the actual process of achieving the end goal will
> be long, time consuming, and not without its share of conflict.

How will the migration work in practice?

> We also recognize that the Boost community is comprised of bright and
> passionate individuals that are eager to get involved and help get work
> done.

How can non-maintainers help? Do we just submit pull requests to the
git repos?

Finally, what will be the minimum CMake version? I humbly suggest
something modern.

Again, I want to express my respect for this move. It must have been a
big decision.

Raoul Wols

Re: CMake Announcement from Boost Steering Committee

HPX has used cmake for 6+ years, and we have a subsystem very similar to Boost.Context.

--
Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Back in Black
Transmitted from my Android Mobile Command Center