C++/CLI and >=VS2015

Boost - Users mailing list
Hello
Upgrading from Version 1.63, i pulled from git today and suddenly all my C++/CLI project refuse to compile with Visual Studio 2015 and above (i only have 2010, 2015 and 2017 available to test with).
I'm working with the master branch.

Here's a simple example:
<code>
#include <boost/thread.hpp>
int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
{
    return 0;
}
</code>

VS2015 and above complain with
...\boost\boost\type_traits\detail\is_function_cxx_11.hpp(111): warning C4575: '__vectorcall' incompatible with the '/clr' option: converting to '__stdcall'
...\boost\boost\type_traits\detail\is_member_function_pointer_cxx_11.hpp(114): error C2764: 'C': template parameter not used or deducible in partial specialization 'boost::is_member_function_pointer<Ret(Args...)>'
...\boost\boost\type_traits\detail\is_member_function_pointer_cxx_11.hpp(125): warning C4575: '__vectorcall' incompatible with the '/clr' option: converting to '__stdcall'
on many lines in is_function_cxx_11.hpp and is_member_function_pointer_cxx_11.hpp

It worked with version 1.63 (here's a live example with VS2017 and boost 1.60: https://rextester.com/WWGR27505) and because of the fallback to cpp03 it still works with VS2010.
Am i missing something?

Thanks and
Best Regards
liong

Re: C++/CLI and >=VS2015

I am having the same issue. Did you manage to fix the error, or did you roll
back to the older version of boost?

Best regards,
-- kwitee

--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Users-f2553780.html

Re: C++/CLI and >=VS2015

Boost - Users mailing list
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:55, kwitee via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I am having the same issue. Did you manage to fix the error, or did you roll
back to the older version of boost?

If you just stick to the obsolete version of boost, that is contemporary to the obsolete version of MSVC you choose [or are obliged] to use, you will have no (or little) problems.

degski
--
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: C++/CLI and >=VS2015

Boost - Users mailing list
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM degski via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:55, kwitee via Boost-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am having the same issue. Did you manage to fix the error, or did you roll
>> back to the older version of boost?
>

> If you just stick to the obsolete version of boost, that is contemporary to the obsolete version of MSVC you choose [or are obliged] to use, you will have no (or little) problems.

Along these same lines, everything I've been reading about C++/CLI is
that it has "grown" into obsolescence of sorts. Microsoft has focused
mainly on the netcore with even netstandard being sort of the tail
that wags the dog, replete with all the tooling, etc, etc, and so on.
With that CLI seems to have been forgotten about, as have other stacks
along the way, WinForms, WPF, etc. Some of which are garnering
attention after community push back.

However, CLI remains on of those corner cases that have been neglected
in the process in my estimation. This becomes evident when curious
about whether I could write a C++/CLI assembly targeting netstandard,
for instance. I do not think it is possible at this time.

Perhaps reconsider whether CLI is necessary a necessary stack at this
point, notwithstanding how much of a dependency on Boost or other
libraries that you've assumed. Any more with netcore/netstandard
compiler improvements, it's debatable, I think.

HTH, good luck!

> degski
> --
> “If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein

Re: C++/CLI and >=VS2015

Did you manage to fix the error,

Yes, search for closed issues on GitHub, there you'll find a discussion with a link to fixed files and a patch that was integrated into trunk.