[Boost-users] trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

[Boost-users] trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Xavier.Abulker

Hello,
I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and after the command:
bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
I receive the error message:

>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
 >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.

Do you know how I can solve this problem?
It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio 11

Regards

Xavier
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La FIMAT et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
     ********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither FIMAT nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered,
changed or falsified.

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Michael van der Westhuizen

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>
> >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio
> 11

There's still quite a lot more you need to do to get things even close
to working!

I'm still running 1.32.0 with a set of patches I picked up on
http://forum.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=5&threadID=23793.

I know this states that it's for Studio 10, just change 0x570 to 0x580
for Studio 11.

Also, you need to compile (as stated in that thread) with:
bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro \
   -sSUNPRO_ROOT_DIRECTORY="<path>/" \
   -sSUNPRO_CXX="CC -library=stlport4" \
   stage

The -library=stlport4 argument will give you the bundled STLport
library, which is far closer to what Boost needs than the default STL
implementation.

I hope that helps a bit (and no, I haven't got anything more recent running!).

Michael

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Timo Geusch
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>

>>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>>>
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio
> 11

You need the latest set of patches for both the compiler and the back
end - you can download those from SUN.

I've been experimenting with those with a view to run Boost regression
tests on Solaris (10 in my case) and with the latest patchset installed
it will still fail to compile about 60 to 80 targets out of the close to
1300 for the 'stage' target. In my experience this is the best result
for any Sun compiler so far.

As mentioned in the other email it is worth compiling it against stlport
and not the older RogueWave library.

Regards,
Timo

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Simon Atanasyan
Hi!

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>

>>>Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio
> 11
>
> Regards
>
> Xavier

> Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
> confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
> Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est interdite.
> Tout message electronique est susceptible d'alteration.
> La FIMAT et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
> au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
>      ********
> intended solely for the addressees.
> Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
> Neither FIMAT nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
> shall be liable for the message if altered,
> changed or falsified.

First of all you should install the latest patches for Sun Studio.

Updated patches for Boost source code are here:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sga?entry=boost_1_33_1
and here:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sga?entry=boost_mini_howto

--